unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* tao-dialog and writing some system tool in libgreattao
@ 2023-05-20 17:25 Sławomir Lach
From: Sławomir Lach @ 2023-05-20 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I am author of libgreattao, the generalized user-communication library. It
could generate UI on the fly (by templates system) and use shell and GUI mode.
Additionally GUI mode could use console, GTK4, Qt5 backends.

Writing DE tools in libgreattao could brings unification and simplicity. For
example, xdg-su could be rewritten in libgreattao, instead of communication
with other tools. Libgreattao will load GTK or QT or console backend. KDE
devel could alter look of programs, creating own design files. The same could
be done by GNOME developers. It brings many possibilities.

Read more:
https://nintyfan.wordpress.com/2023/05/20/tao-dialog/

I known, that It lacks manpower. I rewrite everything currently as version 3,
which eliminates a lot of problems, but it does not compatible fully with
libgreattao2.

tao-dialog is small tool, which partially emulates kdialog and zenity. Maybe
in future I will add xmessage support also. It would not be drop-in
replacament maybe, but it would work great for simple usage. The great thing
is it uses libgreattao, so when script call tao-dialog inside terminal, it
loads console backend of GUI mode. DE could alter environment variable to asks
to load GTK+ or QT backend.

Read more: https://nintyfan.wordpress.com/2023/05/20/tao-dialog/ .

What next? When I done libgreattaoV3 and tao-dialog, maybe replace xdg-su and
write tool for replacing setting-executable-bit-and-running dialog. Maybe I
write select-app-to-open-file-with dialog. Instead of duplicate efforts and
write tools, desktop agents, backends, etc. not better write it in libgreattao
and allow it to generate UI or write template file to alter it. And it will
works in KDE, GNOME and Console?

Thanks,
Sławomir Lach.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2023-05-20 17:26 UTC | newest]