unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* git hook error
@ 2021-12-28 20:10 Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2021-12-28 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Since a few days I see this when pushing to the repository:

Enumerating objects: 35, done.
Counting objects: 100% (35/35), done.
Delta compression using up to 4 threads
Compressing objects: 100% (28/28), done.
Writing objects: 100% (28/28), 11.76 KiB | 1.18 MiB/s, done.
Total 28 (delta 22), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 0
remote: Traceback (most recent call last):
remote:   File "hooks/post-receive", line 6, in <module>
remote:     import git_multimail
remote: ImportError: No module named git_multimail

Is this our fault or did something change on Savannah’s side?

--
Ricardo

* Re: git hook error
@ 2021-12-28 20:26 ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2021-12-28 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

Ricardo,

This is <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?16101>.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: git hook error
@ 2021-12-28 20:35   ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2021-12-28 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: guix-devel

On Tue, Dec 28, 2021 at 09:26:54PM +0100, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice wrote:
> Ricardo,
>
> This is <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?16101>.

Also happened in 2017:

https://www.mail-archive.com/savannah-hackers-public@gnu.org/msg05571.html

* Re: git hook error
@ 2021-12-28 21:09     ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2021-12-28 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> writes:

> On Tue, Dec 28, 2021 at 09:26:54PM +0100, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice wrote:
>> Ricardo,
>>
>> This is <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?16101>.
>
> Also happened in 2017:
>
> https://www.mail-archive.com/savannah-hackers-public@gnu.org/msg05571.html

Thanks for the pointers!

So… uhm, what do you all think about hosting our Git repos by ourselves?
Ideally *not* on the servers of the build farm, but on other hardware?

--
Ricardo

* Re: git hook error
@ 2021-12-28 21:40       ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2021-12-28 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

On Tue, Dec 28, 2021 at 10:09:06PM +0100, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> So… uhm, what do you all think about hosting our Git repos by ourselves?
> Ideally *not* on the servers of the build farm, but on other hardware?

I would ask, why would we want to do that?

* Re: git hook error
@ 2021-12-28 22:31         ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2021-12-28 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> writes:

> On Tue, Dec 28, 2021 at 10:09:06PM +0100, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
>> So… uhm, what do you all think about hosting our Git repos by ourselves?
>> Ideally *not* on the servers of the build farm, but on other hardware?
>
> I would ask, why would we want to do that?

The motivation for that is not found in just one big problem.  It’s a
small trickle of minor annoyances:

- Savannah’s uptime isn’t quite as high as we’d like
- we can’t have server-side checks to prevent pushing bad commits
- we can’t have server-side hooks to better integrate with the build farm
- we can’t have per-branch rules (e.g. to allow contributors to push to
  some but not all branches)

--
Ricardo

* Re: git hook error
@ 2021-12-28 22:45           ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2021-12-28 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: Leo Famulari, guix-devel

Hi Ricardo,

Ricardo Wurmus 写道:
> - Savannah’s uptime isn’t quite as high as we’d like

I wonder if Savannah monitors and publishes numbers, and how they
compare to other popular forges.

Why should we do better?  We haven't even managed to set up a git
mirror after all these years.

> - we can’t have server-side checks to prevent pushing bad
> commits
> - we can’t have server-side hooks to better integrate with the
> build farm
> - we can’t have per-branch rules (e.g. to allow contributors to
> push to
>   some but not all branches)

Why not?  Which of these can't be got with server-side hooks?  How
would you get them on Guix infra then?  Could the Savannah admins
accommodate us further, if needed?

If the real reason for even one of them is ‘well, we can, but
nobody wants to write those hooks’, that only bolsters my previous
scepticism.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: git hook error
@ 2021-12-28 23:32         ` raingloom
From: raingloom @ 2021-12-28 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel

On Tue, 28 Dec 2021 16:40:15 -0500
Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 28, 2021 at 10:09:06PM +0100, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> > So… uhm, what do you all think about hosting our Git repos by
> > ourselves? Ideally *not* on the servers of the build farm, but on
> > other hardware?
>
> I would ask, why would we want to do that?

Maybe not self-hosting, but I would really appreciate a move to a
better forge, like Sourcehut. I have... very few positive
things to say about Savannah's UI, at least from a casual user
perspective. I don't know what it's like for contributors.

* Re: git hook error
@ 2021-12-28 23:46           ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2021-12-28 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

On Tue, Dec 28, 2021 at 11:31:10PM +0100, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> The motivation for that is not found in just one big problem.  It’s a
> small trickle of minor annoyances:
>
> - Savannah’s uptime isn’t quite as high as we’d like

Okay. I wonder if we could actually do a better job, or if anybody who
hosts a comparable repo does.

Our own record with the build farm and the record of major hosts like
Github are both somewhat discouraging. And if we could only hope for an
equivalent uptime to Savannah, it doesn't seem worth it to shoulder this
work ourselves.

> - we can’t have server-side checks to prevent pushing bad commits
> - we can’t have server-side hooks to better integrate with the build farm
> - we can’t have per-branch rules (e.g. to allow contributors to push to
>   some but not all branches)

We do actually have a server-side hook in place to prevent pushing
unsigned commits. And if we wanted to add more tooling, the Savannah
admin(s) would help us.

Now, if we just wanted more control and visibility into the
infrastructure, that's a reason, but again, I wonder if it's worth the
effort. In terms of infrastructure maintenance, we already seem to be
stretched thin.

My opinion is that, in order to consider hosting our own Git server, we
should wait until people are using declarative Guix configuration to
operate reliable, performant, and public Git servers that would meet our
needs. That is, the Guix project needs to grow this capability without
the heroic effort of a single volunteer. Because that's what we have now
with Savannah, more or less, and we don't have to work for it. Maybe
this has already been achieved, I don't know.

* Re: git hook error
@ 2021-12-29  0:01             ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2021-12-29  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Ricardo Wurmus, Leo Famulari, guix-devel

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice 写道:
> I wonder if Savannah monitors and publishes numbers, and how
> they
> compare to other popular forges.

I asked; they don't.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: git hook error
@ 2021-12-29  8:53             ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2021-12-29  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari, Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

On Tue, 28 Dec 2021 at 18:46, Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 28, 2021 at 11:31:10PM +0100, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
>> The motivation for that is not found in just one big problem.  It’s a
>> small trickle of minor annoyances:
>>
>> - Savannah’s uptime isn’t quite as high as we’d like
>
> Okay. I wonder if we could actually do a better job, or if anybody who
> hosts a comparable repo does.
>
> Our own record with the build farm and the record of major hosts like
> Github are both somewhat discouraging. And if we could only hope for an
> equivalent uptime to Savannah, it doesn't seem worth it to shoulder this
> work ourselves.

Well, I agree with Ricardo that the list of minor annoyances is greater
than the burden of maintenance.  I also agree that it is again another
load on “our” shoulders, but somehow at this point, is it that much
compared to the gain?

> My opinion is that, in order to consider hosting our own Git server, we
> should wait until people are using declarative Guix configuration to
> operate reliable, performant, and public Git servers that would meet our
> needs. That is, the Guix project needs to grow this capability without
> the heroic effort of a single volunteer. Because that's what we have now
> with Savannah, more or less, and we don't have to work for it. Maybe
> this has already been achieved, I don't know.

Hum, maybe I miss something but changing the Git server is transparent
for the users.  One commit pushed to Savannah changing the URL, the user
runs “guix pull”, then the next “guix pull” will pull the new location.

However, it is not clear what happens for “guix time-machine”?

Well, as it is possible to list several substitutes servers, maybe the
first step could to add another Git server in addition to Savannah,
mirror this Git server using Savannah, then flip and mirror Savannah
against this Git server.

Last, this server should be part of a CDN, IMHO.

Cheers,
simon