unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Wacom tablet issues
@ 2020-03-05 14:53 raingloom
From: raingloom @ 2020-03-05 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I'm having trouble properly setting up my Wacom Intuos CTH-480 tablet.
It is recognized as a tablet and pressure sensitivity is working, but
the eraser is not recognized as a separate input device. I used it in
Arch, where it worked flawlessly, so it's not a driver bug.

`libwacom-list-local-devices` shows them, but `xsetwacom --list
devices` does not.

I think it is a udev issue.

I ran `udevadm info $(libwacom-list-local-devices | grep 'Device node'
| cut -f 4- -d ' ')` in both Guix and a NixOS VM and in Guix it seems
to only show a single device, while in Nix it shows 3.

I managed to get the libwacom udev rules in my system config, at least
I think I did, since the following files exist:

```
/run/booted-system/profile/lib/udev/rules.d/65-libwacom.rules
/run/booted-system/profile/lib/udev/rules.d/wacom.rules
```

Not sure how to proceed. Any tips?

* Re: Wacom tablet issues
@ 2020-03-05 15:52 ` pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) @ 2020-03-05 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raingloom; +Cc: guix-devel

Maybe using a custom Xorg configuration service helps.  Add to the
services field:

(set-xorg-configuration
 (xorg-configuration
  (modules
   (list
    xf86-video-fbdev
    xf86-input-libinput))))

(or another xf86-video- driver depending on your GPU).

This would leave out evdev and other obsolete input drivers drivers.
Maybe this makes the wacom tablet work.  In case this actually helps,
bug <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/35450> would need to be fixed.

Regards,
Florian

* Re: Wacom tablet issues
@ 2020-03-05 16:10   ` pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) @ 2020-03-05 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raingloom; +Cc: guix-devel

Also note that GNOME on Wayland may work better than GNOME on Xorg
with regard to wacom/libinput/GTK.  I presume on Arch you used
Wayland.

Regards,
Florian

* Re: Wacom tablet issues
@ 2020-03-05 16:12     ` raingloom
From: raingloom @ 2020-03-05 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz); +Cc: guix-devel

What about i3? Because that's what I used on all three distros. (also
GNOME on Guix)

On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 17:10, pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
<pelzflorian@pelzflorian.de> wrote:
> Also note that GNOME on Wayland may work better than GNOME on Xorg
> with regard to wacom/libinput/GTK.  I presume on Arch you used
> Wayland.
>
> Regards,
> Florian

* Re: Wacom tablet issues
@ 2020-03-05 17:25       ` pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) @ 2020-03-05 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raingloom; +Cc: guix-devel

On Thu, Mar 05, 2020 at 05:12:57PM +0100, raingloom wrote:
> What about i3? Because that's what I used on all three distros. (also GNOME
> on Guix)

i3 is not Wayland.  Note that I only remember GTK people say it works
differently.  What I said about Wayland is a possible reason why Arch
behaves differently if you used Wayland on Arch.  In theory it should
be possible to make old xf86-input-wacom work too, I do not know how
and have no wacom tablet at hand.  Then again, I do not know why
udevadm does not show the device.

Regards,
Florian

* Re: Wacom tablet issues
@ 2020-03-05 17:27         ` raingloom
From: raingloom @ 2020-03-05 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz); +Cc: guix-devel

Well, udevadm shows it, but only as a single device instead of three.

On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 18:25, pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
<pelzflorian@pelzflorian.de> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 05, 2020 at 05:12:57PM +0100, raingloom wrote:
>>  What about i3? Because that's what I used on all three distros.
>> (also GNOME
>>  on Guix)
>
> i3 is not Wayland.  Note that I only remember GTK people say it works
> differently.  What I said about Wayland is a possible reason why Arch
> behaves differently if you used Wayland on Arch.  In theory it should
> be possible to make old xf86-input-wacom work too, I do not know how
> and have no wacom tablet at hand.  Then again, I do not know why
> udevadm does not show the device.
>
> Regards,
> Florian

* Re: Wacom tablet issues
@ 2020-03-05 22:24           ` raingloom
From: raingloom @ 2020-03-05 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz); +Cc: guix-devel

I tried sway and it's broken there too. Not sure if I started it up
correctly though, as I just opened it on a separate virtual terminal.

On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 18:27, raingloom <raingloom@riseup.net> wrote:
> Well, udevadm shows it, but only as a single device instead of three.
>
> On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 18:25, pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
> <pelzflorian@pelzflorian.de> wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 05, 2020 at 05:12:57PM +0100, raingloom wrote:
>>>  What about i3? Because that's what I used on all three distros.
>>> \x7f\x7f(also GNOME
>>>  on Guix)
>>
>> i3 is not Wayland.  Note that I only remember GTK people say it works
>> differently.  What I said about Wayland is a possible reason why Arch
>> behaves differently if you used Wayland on Arch.  In theory it should
>> be possible to make old xf86-input-wacom work too, I do not know how
>> and have no wacom tablet at hand.  Then again, I do not know why
>> udevadm does not show the device.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Florian

* Re: Wacom tablet issues
@ 2020-03-06  6:31             ` pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) @ 2020-03-06  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raingloom; +Cc: guix-devel

On Thu, Mar 05, 2020 at 11:24:03PM +0100, raingloom wrote:
> I tried sway and it's broken there too. Not sure if I started it up
> correctly though, as I just opened it on a separate virtual terminal.

I believe you started it correctly and your observation on udevadm is
what really is strang.  I am sorry for the distraction.  (But it is
good to exclude other reasons.)

Perhaps you had installed additional udev rules on Arch?  The Arch
wiki talks about that.  Other than that, I have no idea why Guix
behaves differently.  Sorry.

Regards,
Florian