unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* gnu: profanity: Modify build options.
@ 2019-10-25  9:55 Tanguy Le Carrour
From: Tanguy Le Carrour @ 2019-10-25  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix

Hi Guix!

Yesterday, I submitted a patch to update Profanity [1].

[1]: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=37903

My motivation was not to get the latest version of the software, but to
get the OMEMO encryption feature! This was only possible with versions > 0.6.

The question is now to know if I can/should modify the package's build
options and dependencies to enable OMEMO? I guess it make sense to have
encryption available by default.

Another thing I would like to do is to enable profanity's "desktop" features,
namely tray icon and notifications. Would it make sense to activate it
by default? Would it be better to create a `profanity-desktop` package
that modify the dependencies and the options?!

What do you think?

--
Tanguy

* Re: gnu: profanity: Modify build options.
@ 2019-10-25 12:10 ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2019-10-25 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tanguy Le Carrour; +Cc: Guix-devel

Tanguy Le Carrour <tanguy@bioneland.org> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. okt. 25.,
Pén 11:59):

> Hi Guix!
>
> Yesterday, I submitted a patch to update Profanity [1].
>
> [1]: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=37903
>
> My motivation was not to get the latest version of the software, but to
> get the OMEMO encryption feature! This was only possible with versions >
> 0.6.
>
> The question is now to know if I can/should modify the package's build
> options and dependencies to enable OMEMO? I guess it make sense to have
> encryption available by default.
>
> Another thing I would like to do is to enable profanity's "desktop"
> features,
> namely tray icon and notifications. Would it make sense to activate it
> by default? Would it be better to create a `profanity-desktop` package
> that modify the dependencies and the options?!

Usually the default package comes with as much functionality as possible.
You could do a minimal package

@ 2019-10-25 12:43   ` Tanguy Le Carrour
From: Tanguy Le Carrour @ 2019-10-25 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel

Le 10/25, Gábor Boskovits a écrit :
> Tanguy Le Carrour <tanguy@bioneland.org> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. okt. 25.,
> Pén 11:59):
>
> > Hi Guix!
> >
> > Yesterday, I submitted a patch to update Profanity [1].
> >
> > [1]: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=37903
> >
> > My motivation was not to get the latest version of the software, but to
> > get the OMEMO encryption feature! This was only possible with versions >
> > 0.6.
> >
> > The question is now to know if I can/should modify the package's build
> > options and dependencies to enable OMEMO? I guess it make sense to have
> > encryption available by default.
> >
> > Another thing I would like to do is to enable profanity's "desktop"
> > features,
> > namely tray icon and notifications. Would it make sense to activate it
> > by default? Would it be better to create a `profanity-desktop` package
> > that modify the dependencies and the options?!
> >
> Usually the default package comes with as much functionality as possible.
> You could do a minimal package

OK, I'll work on that when Profanity 0.7 is available.

--

@ 2019-10-25 14:51     ` Jack Hill
From: Jack Hill @ 2019-10-25 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tanguy Le Carrour; +Cc: Guix-devel

Tanguy,

As a mcabber user, I'm excited to learn about another console xmpp client!
Is the home-page in the package definition, <http://www.profanity.im>,
correct? That page is blocked for me at work, and it didn't look right
when I was browsing it from a different network with elinks. It looks like
a better home-page might be <https://profanity-im.github.io/>. Is my
assessment correct? Should the package definition be updated?

Best,
Jack

* Re: gnu: profanity: Modify build options.
@ 2019-10-25 15:09       ` Tanguy Le Carrour
From: Tanguy Le Carrour @ 2019-10-25 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jack Hill; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Jack!

Le 10/25, Jack Hill a écrit :
> As a mcabber user, I'm excited to learn about another console xmpp client!
> Is the home-page in the package definition, <http://www.profanity.im>,
> correct? That page is blocked for me at work, and it didn't look right when
> I was browsing it from a different network with elinks. It looks like a
> better home-page might be <https://profanity-im.github.io/>. Is my
> assessment correct? Should the package definition be updated?

You're absolutly right!
I've fixed it and I'll soon send the patch.

Tanguy