unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Video of Talk: "Everyday Use of GNU Guix"
@ 2018-12-04 11:32 Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2018-12-04 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi Guix!

As previously announced [1], on November 10th I gave a talk at SeaGL [2]
titled "Everyday Use of GNU Guix" [3].

I've made a recording of the talk available here:

https://media.marusich.info/everyday-use-of-gnu-guix-chris-marusich-seagl-2018.webm

I've just uploaded it, so if for some reason that link doesn't work,
please try this secondary link instead:

https://d2gz0c5j1goskf.cloudfront.net/everyday-use-of-gnu-guix-chris-marusich-seagl-2018.webm

The talk went even better than I expected!  There were about 25 - 30
people in the audience.  They all seemed very interested, and they asked
good questions.  It was great to meet other free software supporters in
my local community and introduce Guix to them.  With a bit of luck,
there will soon be more people using Guix in the Seattle area!

The presentation itself is, as mentioned in the video, available in
Guix's maintenance.git Git repository.  Both the video and the
presentation itself are licensed under CC-BY-SA 4.0, so please feel free
to share and remix it!

I really enjoyed giving the presentation.  I hope you enjoy watching it!

Footnotes:
[1]  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2018-09/msg00260.html

[2]  http://seagl.org/

[3]  https://osem.seagl.org/conferences/seagl2018/program/proposals/526

--
Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Video of Talk: "Everyday Use of GNU Guix"
@ 2018-12-04 14:16 ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2018-12-04 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Chris Marusich <cmmarusich@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Guix!
>
> As previously announced [1], on November 10th I gave a talk at SeaGL [2]
> titled "Everyday Use of GNU Guix" [3].
>
> I've made a recording of the talk available here:

Thanks for sharing!

@ 2018-12-04 15:39 ` Thompson, David
From: Thompson, David @ 2018-12-04 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Marusich; +Cc: guix-devel

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 6:33 AM Chris Marusich <cmmarusich@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Guix!
>
> As previously announced [1], on November 10th I gave a talk at SeaGL [2]
> titled "Everyday Use of GNU Guix" [3].

Nice job!  Also, good job bringing swag with you. That's the element I
always forget about when I give a talk.  People always want stickers!

- Dave

* Re: Video of Talk: "Everyday Use of GNU Guix"
@ 2018-12-07 23:11 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-12-07 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Marusich; +Cc: guix-devel

Hey Chris!

Chris Marusich <cmmarusich@gmail.com> skribis:

> As previously announced [1], on November 10th I gave a talk at SeaGL [2]
> titled "Everyday Use of GNU Guix" [3].
>
> I've made a recording of the talk available here:
>
> https://media.marusich.info/everyday-use-of-gnu-guix-chris-marusich-seagl-2018.webm

Nice talk!  I like the example you gave with GNU Hello, which
illustrates very well how we can put software into the hands of users
and make software freedom more practical.  Also great that you managed
to cover all these topics!

Would you like to add it under
<https://gnu.org/software/guix/blog/tags/talks/>?  We could also arrange
to have a copy of the video on audio-video.gnu.org if someone remembers
how to get that done (Mark?).

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: Video of Talk: "Everyday Use of GNU Guix"
@ 2018-12-08  1:46   ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2018-12-08  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Chris Marusich <cmmarusich@gmail.com> skribis:
>
>> As previously announced [1], on November 10th I gave a talk at SeaGL [2]
>> titled "Everyday Use of GNU Guix" [3].
>>
>> I've made a recording of the talk available here:
>>
>> https://media.marusich.info/everyday-use-of-gnu-guix-chris-marusich-seagl-2018.webm
>
> Nice talk!  I like the example you gave with GNU Hello, which
> illustrates very well how we can put software into the hands of users
> and make software freedom more practical.  Also great that you managed
> to cover all these topics!
>
> Would you like to add it under
> <https://gnu.org/software/guix/blog/tags/talks/>?  We could also arrange
> to have a copy of the video on audio-video.gnu.org if someone remembers
> how to get that done (Mark?).

I copied the video to audio-video.gnu.org.  It's now available here:

https://audio-video.gnu.org/video/misc/2018-11__Everyday_use_of_GNU_Guix__Chris_Marusich__SeaGL.webm

    Regards,
      Mark

* Re: Video of Talk: "Everyday Use of GNU Guix"
@ 2018-12-08  5:42   ` Jan Nieuwenhuizen
From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen @ 2018-12-08  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Ludovic Courtès writes:

Hello Chris!

> Chris Marusich <cmmarusich@gmail.com> skribis:
>
>> As previously announced [1], on November 10th I gave a talk at SeaGL [2]
>> titled "Everyday Use of GNU Guix" [3].
>>
>> I've made a recording of the talk available here:
>>
>> https://media.marusich.info/everyday-use-of-gnu-guix-chris-marusich-seagl-2018.webm
>
> Nice talk!  I like the example you gave with GNU Hello, which
> illustrates very well how we can put software into the hands of users
> and make software freedom more practical.  Also great that you managed
> to cover all these topics!

Yes, I second that.  I enjoyed the recorded talk a lot and especially
liked your Hello world/Hey there edit; showing how free software and
guix go hand in hand to empower you.

janneke

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> | GNU LilyPond http://lilypond.org
Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | Avatar® http://AvatarAcademy.com

* Re: Video of Talk: "Everyday Use of GNU Guix"
@ 2018-12-08 21:50   ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2018-12-08 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Branson, Ludovic Courtès, Jan Nieuwenhuizen,
	Mark H Weaver, Thompson, David
  Cc: guix-devel

Hi everyone,

Joshua Branson <jbranso@fastmail.com> writes:

> Thanks for sharing!

My pleasure!  Hopefully it will help more people to learn about Guix.

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> writes:

> Yes, I second that.  I enjoyed the recorded talk a lot and especially
> liked your Hello world/Hey there edit; showing how free software and
> guix go hand in hand to empower you.

My hope was that by demonstrating various scenarios, or use cases, it
would show viewers more concretely and more convincingly how Guix can
help them.  A good demonstration can be better than an explanation.

On a related note, I'm excited about Laura Lazzati's Outreachy project
to create video documentation, since I'm sure there are many, many more
scenarios that can be effectively demonstrated through short videos!
Laura, I'm cheering you on!  :-)

Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> writes:

> I copied the video to audio-video.gnu.org.  It's now available here:
>
> https://audio-video.gnu.org/video/misc/2018-11__Everyday_use_of_GNU_Guix__Chris_Marusich__SeaGL.webm

Thank you, Mark.  Actually, I submitted a request to have the video
added, so I suppose we can resolve that now:

https://savannah.gnu.org/task/index.php?15102

However, I don't actually know how to resolve it.  Do you?

"Thompson, David" <dthompson2@worcester.edu> writes:

> Nice job!  Also, good job bringing swag with you. That's the element I
> always forget about when I give a talk.  People always want stickers!

Too true!  The stickers were nice, but actually the reference cards were
even more popular.  I printed a few dozen copies on paper vellum, and
most of them were gone when I left the room.  Thank you, Ludo, for
creating the reference card just in time for my talk!  ;-)

--

@ 2018-12-08 22:52     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-12-08 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Marusich; +Cc: Joshua Branson, guix-devel

Hi!

Chris Marusich <cmmarusich@gmail.com> skribis:

> Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> writes:
>
>> I copied the video to audio-video.gnu.org.  It's now available here:
>>
>> https://audio-video.gnu.org/video/misc/2018-11__Everyday_use_of_GNU_Guix__Chris_Marusich__SeaGL.webm
>
> Thank you, Mark.

Thanks indeed, that was fast!

Chris, if you want you can push a .md file to guix-artwork.git with a
link to the video (for example similar to
<https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/blog/2017/back-from-fosdem-2017/>)
and I can do the CVS dance to upload it if you want.  :-)

> Too true!  The stickers were nice, but actually the reference cards were
> even more popular.  I printed a few dozen copies on paper vellum, and
> most of them were gone when I left the room.  Thank you, Ludo, for
> creating the reference card just in time for my talk!  ;-)

Ah ah, fun!  We should bring some of these at FOSDEM.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: Video of Talk: "Everyday Use of GNU Guix"
@ 2018-12-09  3:38       ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2018-12-09  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Ludo,

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Chris, if you want you can push a .md file to guix-artwork.git with a
> link to the video (for example similar to
> <https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/blog/2017/back-from-fosdem-2017/>)
> and I can do the CVS dance to upload it if you want.  :-)

Sounds good!  I'll let you know once I've done that.

--

@ 2018-12-11  8:36         ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2018-12-11  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Ludo,

Chris Marusich <cmmarusich@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Ludo,
>
> Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Chris, if you want you can push a .md file to guix-artwork.git with a
>> link to the video (for example similar to
>> <https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/blog/2017/back-from-fosdem-2017/>)
>> and I can do the CVS dance to upload it if you want.  :-)
>
> Sounds good!  I'll let you know once I've done that.

I've added a small retrospective post in guix-artwork, commit
4ba6b7c042ff04c89ffdd6d5b7ba91f620f40d44.  I've verified it looks good,
and the links are correct, on my local machine.  (The link to the PDF
didn't work locally, but I think it will work when published.)  Could
you check it, and then do the CVS dance if it looks good to you?

Also, I used my media.marusich.info link instead of the GNU Audio Visual
link, mainly because I wanted to make the slides easily available (I
couldn't find a direct link that worked for maintenance.git) in addition
to the video, and at the same time I also thought it might be nice to
save the GNU project a little bandwidth.  If you'd prefer to use the GNU
Audio Visual link, please change it or let me know so I can change it.

Coincidentally, this is the first time I've written a blog post using
sxml.  It's quite slick!

Hopefully by this time next year, we'll have more Guix users in Seattle!

--

@ 2018-12-14 10:45           ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-12-14 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Marusich; +Cc: guix-devel

Chris Marusich <cmmarusich@gmail.com> skribis:

> Chris Marusich <cmmarusich@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi Ludo,
>>
>> Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:
>>
>>> Chris, if you want you can push a .md file to guix-artwork.git with a
>>> link to the video (for example similar to
>>> <https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/blog/2017/back-from-fosdem-2017/>)
>>> and I can do the CVS dance to upload it if you want.  :-)
>>
>> Sounds good!  I'll let you know once I've done that.
>
> I've added a small retrospective post in guix-artwork, commit
> 4ba6b7c042ff04c89ffdd6d5b7ba91f620f40d44.  I've verified it looks good,
> and the links are correct, on my local machine.  (The link to the PDF
> didn't work locally, but I think it will work when published.)  Could
> you check it, and then do the CVS dance if it looks good to you?

I pushed it on-line yesterday I think.  Thank you!

Ludo’.

* Re: Video of Talk: "Everyday Use of GNU Guix"
@ 2018-12-25 15:38     ` bill-auger
From: bill-auger @ 2018-12-25 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

On Fri, 07 Dec 2018 20:46:27 -0500 Mark wrote:
> I copied the video to audio-video.gnu.org.  It's now available here:
> https://audio-video.gnu.org/video/misc/2018-11__Everyday_use_of_GNU_Guix__Chris_Marusich__SeaGL.webm

there is still an open task for this on savannah - should the task be
marked as "completed"?

@ 2018-12-29 11:50       ` Björn Höfling
From: Björn Höfling @ 2018-12-29 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bill-auger; +Cc: guix-devel