unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Trying to make texinfo patch
@ 2018-11-05  1:34 Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2018-11-05  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel; +Cc: Ricardo Wurmus

Hi!
I am writing a new thread so that it does not end up messy.
Yesterday and today I've been reading and adding @cindex to guix.texi  to
make a new patch. I know that you don't mind that much about the number of
contributions, but it was for myself mostly, to learn texinfo and to see
how it applies to documentation.
I just added a few @cindex at the very beginning of the guix.texi file, to
see if it is OK. But had some trouble with makeinfo, I was getting this
kind of errors: https://paste.debian.net/1050349/.
Regards!
Laura

* Re: Trying to make texinfo patch
@ 2018-11-05  8:24 ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-11-05  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel, Ricardo Wurmus

Hello Laura,

Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2018.
nov. 5., H, 2:35):

> Hi!
> I am writing a new thread so that it does not end up messy.
> Yesterday and today I've been reading and adding @cindex to guix.texi  to make a new patch. I know that you don't mind that much about the number of contributions, but it was for myself mostly, to learn texinfo and to see how it applies to documentation.
> I just added a few @cindex at the very beginning of the guix.texi file, to see if it is OK. But had some trouble with makeinfo, I was getting this kind of errors: https://paste.debian.net/1050349/.
> Regards!
> Laura

Building the manual is a more sophisticated process, the first error
you see is because the manual is not composed of only one file, and
some files seem to be missing.
I don't know if we currently have a top level Makefile target to build
the manual only, but simply make-ing in the source tree rebuilds the
manual. I believe that is the simplest
way to test changes.

Best regards,
g_bor

* Re: Trying to make texinfo patch
@ 2018-11-06  1:44   ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2018-11-06  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel, Ricardo Wurmus

> I don't know if we currently have a top level Makefile target to build
> the manual only, but simply make-ing in the source tree rebuilds the
> manual. I believe that is the simplest
> way to test changes.

I tried to explain what I did on IRC. In the end I just git pulled and got
the new version of the guix.texi file.
Ran make again in the source tree - helped me to recall some useful
Makefile concepts. And added just the few cindex again, they are not many,
but to check that I learned texinfo.
Then, since in guix.info website I had the full html version, ran:
makeinfo --html --nosplit guix.texi and got a similar html file that looked
similar to the original one, nut with the index entries updated.
And I don't know if I should write this in guix-devel, there is a bug list
- it's almost my time to go to bed, but I recall seing it  - where I was
mentioning that in guix.info site the references to documentation have
html_node in their path and they return a 404 not found when clicking them.
Tomorrow I will try to send the patch.
I have some questions to ask you:
1) I got an Ourteachy reminder about recording my Application form. I guess
it was just a reminder, but please let me know if it you got it.
2) I was suggested to have at least for a my foreing distro and guix
package manager an aws account, in case something happens to my computer. I
don't know if it is accepted by the community.
3) Is it OK if I write daily telling you what I will be doing/ did that
day, and what I am learning if the number of contributions don't count that
much? Maybe it is more useful that.

@ 2018-11-06  8:15     ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-11-06  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel, Ricardo Wurmus

Hello Laura,

Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2018.
nov. 6., K, 2:44):

>> I don't know if we currently have a top level Makefile target to build
>> the manual only, but simply make-ing in the source tree rebuilds the
>> manual. I believe that is the simplest
>> way to test changes.
>
> I tried to explain what I did on IRC. In the end I just git pulled and got the new version of the guix.texi file.
> Ran make again in the source tree - helped me to recall some useful Makefile concepts. And added just the few cindex again, they are not many, but to check that I learned texinfo.
> Then, since in guix.info website I had the full html version, ran:
> makeinfo --html --nosplit guix.texi and got a similar html file that looked similar to the original one, nut with the index entries updated.

Ok.

> And I don't know if I should write this in guix-devel, there is a bug list - it's almost my time to go to bed, but I recall seing it  - where I was mentioning that in guix.info site the references to documentation have html_node in their path and they return a 404 not found when clicking them.

You can report that to the bugs list.

> Tomorrow I will try to send the patch.
> I have some questions to ask you:
> 1) I got an Ourteachy reminder about recording my Application form. I guess it was just a reminder, but please let me know if it you got it.

From here it looks fine.

> 2) I was suggested to have at least for a my foreing distro and guix package manager an aws account, in case something happens to my computer. I don't know if it is accepted by the community.

I am confused, could you please rephrase this question?

> 3) Is it OK if I write daily telling you what I will be doing/ did that day, and what I am learning if the number of contributions don't count that much? Maybe it is more useful that.

Yes a daily report is fine, we found from earlier expericence that a
report at least two times a week is really important in these types of
projects.

> Regards!
> Laura

Best regards,
g_bor

* Re: Trying to make texinfo patch
@ 2018-11-06 13:16       ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2018-11-06 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel, Ricardo Wurmus

Hi!

> You can report that to the bugs list.

Yes, I have already seen the list.
I have a question, why are there two websites? Are you trying to migrate
everything to the second one? I guess I had never knew about it before.
Should I also report that it only has the html format too of the manual?

> I am confused, could you please rephrase this question?

Sure, a friend suggested me having at least my foreign distro with guix on
the cloud, for instance in Amazon Web Services - you can suggest another
one. Mainly in case my computer crashes and I have to do a fresh install,
which happened - I back up my VMs almost daily - if it's hardware starts
failing, if it gets stolen, and  I could go on mentioning examples. But I
don't know if guix community allows that, so I wanted to ask first.

@ 2018-11-06 17:53         ` Thorsten Wilms
From: Thorsten Wilms @ 2018-11-06 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

On 06/11/2018 14.16, Laura Lazzati wrote:
> Sure, a friend suggested me having at least my foreign distro with guix
> on the cloud, for instance in Amazon Web Services - you can suggest
> another one. Mainly in case my computer crashes and I have to do a fresh
> install, which happened - I back up my VMs almost daily - if it's
> hardware starts failing, if it gets stolen, and  I could go on
> mentioning examples. But I don't know if guix community allows that, so
> I wanted to ask first.

As long as nobody else has to interact with the service because of your
use of it, it's entirely up to you. Somewhat similar to how you choose
your own hardware and internet service provider (I say far from being
representative of the community, but that seems sure enough).

AWS is rather complex. Several services make things easier if all one is
looking for is off-site backup, but some would make you use
Non-Free-Software, the very thing this community can never recommend.

A Free-Software-friendly alternative would be rsync.net. Just a ZFS file
system that can be accessed via ssh/sftp. They have been around since
2001 and seem to have a pretty good reputation, but I don't know how
they compare to other options, cost-wise.

Or, as a _perhaps_ easier and "good enough" solution, consider an
external hard-drive for regular backups (otherwise detached and stored
in a safe space). Even better if you have several to cycle through.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/

* Re: Trying to make texinfo patch
@ 2018-11-06 19:44           ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2018-11-06 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Wilms; +Cc: guix-devel

On Tue, Nov 06, 2018 at 06:53:59PM +0100, Thorsten Wilms wrote:
> AWS is rather complex. Several services make things easier if all one is
> looking for is off-site backup, but some would make you use
> Non-Free-Software, the very thing this community can never recommend.

There are packages in GNU Guix for using Amazon S3 as a backup storage
host. For example, Restic and python2-s3cmd. It's not necessary to use
non-free software with AWS for this purpose.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Trying to make texinfo patch
@ 2018-11-07 14:35             ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2018-11-07 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)