unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* workflow
@ 2018-01-04  9:37 Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2018-01-04  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I am trying to use git worktree, as suggested

I'm tying to update python-magic from 0.4.3 to 0.4.15 in a worktree based
branch

The new version builds fine

But in preparing the commit, I find a lot of files that I didn't touch to
be changed

$ git status
Sul branch update-tryton
Changes not staged for commit:
  (use "git add <file>..." to update what will be committed)
  (use "git checkout -- <file>..." to discard changes in working directory)

    modified:   gnu/packages/python.scm
    modified:   po/guix/cs.po
    modified:   po/guix/da.po
    modified:   po/guix/de.po
    modified:   po/guix/eo.po
    modified:   po/guix/fr.po
    modified:   po/guix/hu.po
    modified:   po/guix/pl.po
    modified:   po/guix/pt_BR.po
    modified:   po/guix/sr.po
    modified:   po/guix/vi.po
    modified:   po/guix/zh_CN.po
    modified:   po/packages/da.po
    modified:   po/packages/de.po
    modified:   po/packages/eo.po
    modified:   po/packages/fr.po
    modified:   po/packages/hu.po
    modified:   po/packages/pl.po
    modified:   po/packages/pt_BR.po
    modified:   po/packages/sr.po
    modified:   po/packages/vi.po

I only edited the first one, gnu/packages/python.scm

I didn't remember this to happen before testing git worktree
Right ?

What are these po/* files ?

* Re: workflow
@ 2018-01-04  9:46 ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2018-01-04  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

> I am trying to use git worktree, as suggested
>
> I'm tying to update python-magic from 0.4.3 to 0.4.15 in a worktree based
> branch
>
> The new version builds fine
>
> But in preparing the commit, I find a lot of files that I didn't touch to
> be changed
>
> $ git status
> Sul branch update-tryton
> Changes not staged for commit:
>   (use "git add <file>..." to update what will be committed)
>   (use "git checkout -- <file>..." to discard changes in working directory)
>
>     modified:   gnu/packages/python.scm
>     modified:   po/guix/cs.po
>     modified:   po/guix/da.po
>     modified:   po/guix/de.po
>     modified:   po/guix/eo.po
>     modified:   po/guix/fr.po
>     modified:   po/guix/hu.po
>     modified:   po/guix/pl.po
>     modified:   po/guix/pt_BR.po
>     modified:   po/guix/sr.po
>     modified:   po/guix/vi.po
>     modified:   po/guix/zh_CN.po
>     modified:   po/packages/da.po
>     modified:   po/packages/de.po
>     modified:   po/packages/eo.po
>     modified:   po/packages/fr.po
>     modified:   po/packages/hu.po
>     modified:   po/packages/pl.po
>     modified:   po/packages/pt_BR.po
>     modified:   po/packages/sr.po
>     modified:   po/packages/vi.po
>
> I only edited the first one, gnu/packages/python.scm
>
> I didn't remember this to happen before testing git worktree
> Right ?
>
> What are these po/* files ?

This is a little bit annoying, as I can't rebase my branch on master in
order to edit the commit message without dealing with those too (stashing
or checking them out back to where they were)

Nothing unsurmountable, I was just curious if there's a best practice here

* Re: workflow
@ 2018-01-04 10:12   ` ng0
From: ng0 @ 2018-01-04 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: guix-devel

Catonano transcribed 4.7K bytes:

> > I am trying to use git worktree, as suggested
> >
> > I'm tying to update python-magic from 0.4.3 to 0.4.15 in a worktree based
> > branch
> >
> > The new version builds fine
> >
> > But in preparing the commit, I find a lot of files that I didn't touch to
> > be changed
> >
> > $ git status
> > Sul branch update-tryton
> > Changes not staged for commit:
> >   (use "git add <file>..." to update what will be committed)
> >   (use "git checkout -- <file>..." to discard changes in working directory)
> >
> >     modified:   gnu/packages/python.scm
> >     modified:   po/guix/cs.po
> >     modified:   po/guix/da.po
> >     modified:   po/guix/de.po
> >     modified:   po/guix/eo.po
> >     modified:   po/guix/fr.po
> >     modified:   po/guix/hu.po
> >     modified:   po/guix/pl.po
> >     modified:   po/guix/pt_BR.po
> >     modified:   po/guix/sr.po
> >     modified:   po/guix/vi.po
> >     modified:   po/guix/zh_CN.po
> >     modified:   po/packages/da.po
> >     modified:   po/packages/de.po
> >     modified:   po/packages/eo.po
> >     modified:   po/packages/fr.po
> >     modified:   po/packages/hu.po
> >     modified:   po/packages/pl.po
> >     modified:   po/packages/pt_BR.po
> >     modified:   po/packages/sr.po
> >     modified:   po/packages/vi.po
> >
> > I only edited the first one, gnu/packages/python.scm
> >
> > I didn't remember this to happen before testing git worktree
> > Right ?
> >
> > What are these po/* files ?
> >

> This is a little bit annoying, as I can't rebase my branch on master in
> order to edit the commit message without dealing with those too (stashing
> or checking them out back to where they were)
>
> Nothing unsurmountable, I was just curious if there's a best practice here

Yeah, it can be confusing at first when someone is not used to .po files.

You can stash those po/* files, it's the first thing I do if I ever
happen to work on a complete new checkout.
They are the translation files, pulled in by the bootstrap/configure process of
Guix.
I would commit your changes to gnu/packages/python.scm and then simply run
git stash

If you'd ever want to get those files back (you don't really need to), you
can take a look at the options of git stash or the general stash workflow.
git stash apply would reapply those changes on top of you current HEAD.
You could also drop the stashed changes, etc.
--
GnuPG: A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588
GnuPG: https://c.n0.is/ng0_pubkeys/tree/keys

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: workflow
@ 2018-01-04 10:13   ` Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2018-01-04 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Am 04.01.2018 um 10:46 schrieb Catonano:
> This is a little bit annoying, as I can't rebase my branch on master
> in order to edit the commit message without dealing with those too
> (stashing or checking them out back to where they were)

Try this:

git checkout po

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com               |

* Re: workflow
@ 2018-01-04 10:15 ` Danny Milosavljevic
From: Danny Milosavljevic @ 2018-01-04 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: guix-devel

> What are these po/* files ?

Translations of human-readable text.

* Re: workflow
@ 2018-01-04 11:30     ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2018-01-04 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hartmut Goebel; +Cc: guix-devel

> Am 04.01.2018 um 10:46 schrieb Catonano:
> > This is a little bit annoying, as I can't rebase my branch on master
> > in order to edit the commit message without dealing with those too
> > (stashing or checking them out back to where they were)
>
> Try this:
>
> git checkout po

So the best practice is to deal with them ;-)

Ok, at least this happens only the first time and thhen no more

Thanks !

* Re: workflow
@ 2018-01-04 11:31   ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2018-01-04 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Danny Milosavljevic; +Cc: guix-devel

> > What are these po/* files ?
>
> Translations of human-readable text.

Some day I will have to learn this translation machinery

For now I'm learning magit amd git worktree

Thanks !

* Re: workflow
@ 2018-01-06 22:17     ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2018-01-06 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: guix-devel

ng0 <ng0@n0.is> writes:

> You can stash those po/* files, it's the first thing I do if I ever
> happen to work on a complete new checkout.

Do you stash JUST the po files?  I have often found these po files very
annoying while trying to make changes to Guix and test locally.  I think
that if I do "git stash" and later "git stash pop", it updates the
timestamps of many files, so "make" rebuilds many, many things that it
really doesn't have to.

Beyond doing "git checkout po" are there any other ways to deal with
these po files that won't negate make's incremental build feature?

--
Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: workflow