unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* new micro release to address bug 36074 for new binary installs on foreign distributions with systemd
@ 2020-01-02  9:28 Calvin Heim
From: Calvin Heim @ 2020-01-02  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi Guix developers,

I would like to encourage interest in a new (micro?) release
for the website.

Every new systemd user who installs Guix v1.0.1
from the binary release on a foreign distribution
encounters the solved bug 36074 [1]. It is solved,
but `guix pull` can't administer the solution because
the affected file isn't located under /var/guix.
So each new systemd user that installs the binary on a foreign distribution
must manually fix their /etc/systemd/system/guix-daemon.service
to get the quotation marks right.

I understand that a new release is a sizable request and I respect your
authority over this matter.

Sincerely

Calvin

[1] https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/36074

* Re: new micro release to address bug 36074 for new binary installs on foreign distributions with systemd
@ 2020-01-02 16:07 ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2020-01-02 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel, Calvin Heim

Le 2 janvier 2020 04:28:28 GMT-05:00, Calvin Heim <frofroggy@gmail.com> a écrit :
>Hi Guix developers,
>
>I would like to encourage interest in a new (micro?) release
>for the website.
>
>Every new systemd user who installs Guix v1.0.1
>from the binary release on a foreign distribution
>encounters the solved bug 36074 [1]. It is solved,
>but `guix pull` can't administer the solution because
>the affected file isn't located under /var/guix.
>So each new systemd user that installs the binary on a foreign
>distribution
>must manually fix their /etc/systemd/system/guix-daemon.service
>to get the quotation marks right.
>
>I understand that a new release is a sizable request and I respect your
>authority over this matter.
>
>Sincerely
>
>Calvin
>
>[1] https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/36074

Instead of a release from the master branch, maybe we can apply the fix on top of the version-1.0.1 branch and release that? That way we won't need the build farms to rebuild anything, while fixing the issue. We could also apply patches to the graphical installer that were pushed after 1.0.1 maybe?

* Re: new micro release to address bug 36074 for new binary installs on foreign distributions with systemd
@ 2020-01-02 19:21   ` Danny Milosavljevic
From: Danny Milosavljevic @ 2020-01-02 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: guix-devel, Calvin Heim

Hi Julien,

On Thu, 02 Jan 2020 11:07:47 -0500
Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> wrote:

> Instead of a release from the master branch, maybe we can apply the fix on top of the version-1.0.1 branch and release that? That way we won't need the build farms to rebuild anything, while fixing the issue. We could also apply patches to the graphical installer that were pushed after 1.0.1 maybe?

There were also changes to the DVD bootloader (grub-mkrescue) which would be
important to release.

In any case, I'm doubtful whether fixing version-1.0.1 branch buys us much.

Why not just release a new version from master?  Is it broken?

* Re: new micro release to address bug 36074 for new binary installs on foreign distributions with systemd
@ 2020-01-02 20:16     ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2020-01-02 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Danny Milosavljevic; +Cc: guix-devel, Calvin Heim

Le 2 janvier 2020 14:21:33 GMT-05:00, Danny Milosavljevic <dannym@scratchpost.org> a écrit :
>Hi Julien,
>
>On Thu, 02 Jan 2020 11:07:47 -0500
>Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> wrote:
>
>> Instead of a release from the master branch, maybe we can apply the
>fix on top of the version-1.0.1 branch and release that? That way we
>won't need the build farms to rebuild anything, while fixing the issue.
>We could also apply patches to the graphical installer that were pushed
>after 1.0.1 maybe?
>
>There were also changes to the DVD bootloader (grub-mkrescue) which
>would be
>important to release.
>
>In any case, I'm doubtful whether fixing version-1.0.1 branch buys us
>much.
>
>Why not just release a new version from master?  Is it broken?

It's not broken, but a release always takes time. I was proposing a quicker solution.

* Re: new micro release to address bug 36074 for new binary installs on foreign distributions with systemd
@ 2020-01-02 20:44     ` Jonathan Brielmaier
From: Jonathan Brielmaier @ 2020-01-02 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Danny Milosavljevic, Julien Lepiller; +Cc: guix-devel, Calvin Heim

On 02.01.20 20:21, Danny Milosavljevic wrote:
> There were also changes to the DVD bootloader (grub-mkrescue) which would be
> important to release.

Adding the requirement on guile-json 3.x.x which is on master for 7
months or so now. Makes it easier to use guix-master on foreign distros,
which you wanna use because it's more recent :)

> Why not just release a new version from master?  Is it broken?

I fully support a new release :)

* Re: new micro release to address bug 36074 for new binary installs on foreign distributions with systemd
@ 2020-01-03 15:16 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-01-03 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Calvin Heim; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

Calvin Heim <frofroggy@gmail.com> skribis:

> I would like to encourage interest in a new (micro?) release
> for the website.
>
> Every new systemd user who installs Guix v1.0.1
> from the binary release on a foreign distribution
> encounters the solved bug 36074 [1]. It is solved,
> but `guix pull` can't administer the solution because
> the affected file isn't located under /var/guix.
> So each new systemd user that installs the binary on a foreign distribution
> must manually fix their /etc/systemd/system/guix-daemon.service
> to get the quotation marks right.

Note that, as a workaround, the ‘guix-install.sh’ script fixes the
‘.service’ files since commit e1e3fe08480868f960eea3ec1584c0c12b022e25.

It only works for people installing via the install script, but that’s
an improvement.

Independently of that, I’d like us to put out a new release within a few weeks!

Ludo’.

* Re: new micro release to address bug 36074 for new binary installs on foreign distributions with systemd
@ 2020-01-03 19:46   ` Calvin Heim
From: Calvin Heim @ 2020-01-03 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

On Fri, 2020-01-03 at 16:16 +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Calvin Heim <frofroggy@gmail.com> skribis:
> > Every new systemd user who installs Guix v1.0.1
> > from the binary release on a foreign distribution
> > encounters the solved bug 36074 [1]. It is solved,
> > but `guix pull` can't administer the solution because
> > the affected file isn't located under /var/guix.
> > So each new systemd user that installs the binary on a foreign distribution
> > must manually fix their /etc/systemd/system/guix-daemon.service
> > to get the quotation marks right.
> Note that, as a workaround, the ‘guix-install.sh’ script fixes the
> ‘.service’ files since commit e1e3fe08480868f960eea3ec1584c0c12b022e25.
>
> It only works for people installing via the install script, but that’s
> an improvement.

You are right. Thanks.

@ 2020-01-03 19:50   ` Brett Gilio
From: Brett Gilio @ 2020-01-03 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel, Calvin Heim

Jan 3, 2020 9:16:58 AM Ludovic Courtès :

> Independently of that, I’d like us to put out a new release within a few weeks!
>
> Ludo’.

+1.

--
Brett M. Gilio
GNU Guix, Contributor | GNU Project, Webmaster