unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* (no subject)
@ 2010-05-07 19:28 Sven Schäfer
From: Sven Schäfer @ 2010-05-07 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hello,

I’m new in this list and I use Guile for the first time.

I start Guile in a program written in C.

Is it possible to disable the output “guile>” at the standard output?

That means, when I start Guile there is no “guile>” in the command line but
I can give instructions to the interpreter.

I hope somebody can help me with this problem.

* console info
@ 2010-05-07 20:58 ` objc
From: objc @ 2010-05-07 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Schäfer, guile-user

Hi Sven,

I'm messing around with MS Windows right now...

One interesting way is

"How to spawn console processes with redirected standard handles"

sample code at :
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/190351

and it is quite a general solution for many applications (such as using guile with windows).

related :

Having a console with windows is easy to do, and VERY useful for writing debug info using a simple printf(). (compile with a -mconsole flag).

You could hack around your guile source of course ;O).

Hope this helps,

obj.

I'm new in this list and I use Guile for the first time.

I start Guile in a program written in C.

Is it possible to disable the output "guile>" at the standard output?

That means, when I start Guile there is no "guile>" in the command line but I can give instructions to the interpreter.

I hope somebody can help me with this problem.

* AW: console info
@ 2010-05-08  6:28   ` Sven Schäfer
From: Sven Schäfer @ 2010-05-08  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'objc', guile-user

Hi obj.

I forgot to write that I will use Guile on a linux system.

Only the output “guile>” should be disable. All other outputs from Guile
should go to the stdout.

A short overview:

I will write the output from Guile in variables. A second program
communicates with the “Guile”-program over netcat. This program sends
instructions to the Guile program. Then the Guile program returns some data
(for example an integer). When I now write the output in the second program
into a variable, I write also the “guile>” into it. Because of this I will
only disable the output of “guile>”.

I hope I write this a little bit understandable. :-)

Sven

  _____

I’m new in this list and I use Guile for the first time.

I start Guile in a program written in C.

Is it possible to disable the output “guile>” at the standard output?

That means, when I start Guile there is no “guile>” in the command line but
I can give instructions to the interpreter.

I hope somebody can help me with this problem.

* Re: console info
@ 2010-05-08 10:03     ` Orm Finnendahl
From: Orm Finnendahl @ 2010-05-08 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Schäfer; +Cc: guile-user

Hi Sven,

 I don't know whether there is a way to change the prompt to disappear
completely without changing the sources (as this is generally not the
intended behaviour) but as a workaround you could pipe the guile
output through sed to remove the prompt. Try this command in a
terminal:

guile | sed -e 's/^guile>//g'

That should do what you want. You can do that programmatically as well
or invoke this as a script from within your program.

In general your approach seems strange to me. Without exactly knowing
how to do it I'd suggest you look for a way to approach guile's read
routine directly and handle the results internally rather than dealing
with netcat and stdout.

--
Orm

Am Saturday, den 08. May 2010 um 08:28:38 Uhr (+0200) schrieb Sven Schäfer:

>    Hi obj.
>

>    I forgot to write that I will use Guile on a linux system.
>
>    Only the output “guile>” should be disable. All other outputs from Guile
>    should go to the stdout.
>

>    A short overview:
>
>    I will write the output from Guile in variables. A second program
>    communicates with the “Guile”-program over netcat. This program sends
>    instructions to the Guile program. Then the Guile program returns some
>    data (for example an integer). When I now write the output in the second
>    program into a variable, I write also the “guile>” into it. Because of
>    this I will only disable the output of “guile>”.
>

>    I hope I write this a little bit understandable. J

* Re: AW: console info
@ 2010-05-08 15:14     ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2010-05-08 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

() Sven Schäfer <sven-schaefer-ww@web.de>
() Sat, 8 May 2010 08:28:38 +0200

   Because of this I will only disable the output of "guile>".

On guile init, you can set the repl prompt using
‘set-repl-prompt!’.  For example, in an interactive
session:

$ guile
guile> 1
1
guile> (set-repl-prompt! "")
2
2

Here, the first 1 and the first 2 are the input, everything else
is output.

Caveat: The above is tested w/ Guile 1.4.x, perhaps the interface
has changed w/ other Guile versions.

thi

* Re: AW: console info
@ 2010-05-21 11:01       ` Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2010-05-21 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thien-Thi Nguyen; +Cc: guile-user

Hello,

On Sat 08 May 2010 17:14, Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@gnuvola.org> writes:

> $ guile
> guile> 1
> 1
> guile> (set-repl-prompt! "")
> 2
> 2

This will work on 1.8 and before. In 2.0 the function is there but it
does nothing, which is a bug. I'll see about fixing that.

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/