unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* updated $workbook/modules/modules-and-shared-libs.text
@ 2002-05-21 21:16 Thien-Thi Nguyen
       [not found] ` <20020521173935.5f721206.dsmith@altustech.com>
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2002-05-21 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

i've added some comments.

thi

The following is by mvo, w/ editorial comments by by others.
The latter can be identified by "[NAME: ....]".

Guile used to be able to automatically find and link a shared
library to satisfy requests for a module.  For example, the module
`(foo bar)' could be implemented by placing a shared library named
"foo/libbar.so" (or with a different extension) in a directory on the
load path of Guile.

This has been found to be too tricky, and is no longer supported.  The
shared libraries are now called "extensions".  You should now write a
small Scheme file that calls `load-extension' to load the shared
library and initialize it explicitely.

[ttn: This decision to drop support applies to guile-1.6.x;
      guile-1.4.x continues to support this.]

Here is more about why "this has been found to be to tricky".  It is
about the way it was done, not about why it can't possible at all.

While this support was still present, modules could be either
implemented by Scheme source files, or by shared libraries compiled
from C.  These two forms are two very different things: one is
platform independent and installed somewhere in 'prefix', the other is
platform dependent and is installed in 'exec-prefix'.  However, Guile
had no platform dependent locations in its default search path.

Moreover, the search algorithm required shared libraries that were to
be autoloaded as modules to reside not in the usual library
directories (like /usr/local/lib), but in Guile search path as
.../foo/libbar.so for example for module (foo bar).  This will not
really work for shared libraries that are also to be used from C code.
Guile usually provides a C API for its features that are written in C.
This should be encouraged for extensions as well.  However, the Unix
shared library does not deal well with shared libraries that don't
come from standard locations or are referenced by multiple names
(symlinks).

[ttn: Guile uses libtool and consequently libltdl, so it is possible
      to use `lt_dlsetsearchpath' to alleviate (and actually bypass)
      OS restrictions.  A scheme binding for `lt_dlsetsearchpath' is
      also possible.  Thus, this argument against guile-1.4.x system
      actually can be recast as an argument for providing access and
      appropriate supporting protocol to `lt_dlsetsearchpath'.]

Additionally, module boundaries are not necessarily language
boundaries.  That is, a module can be a mix of Scheme and C (and one
file might want to provide more than one module).  Therefore, we need
a good way to load shared libraries independently from modules anyway.

[ttn: In dynl.c there are several good ways already.  The guile-1.6.x
      `load-extension' doesn't seem to be very much value-add over the
      already provided and stable mechanisms.  There is no spec for it,
      including failure modes.  There are plans to change its interface
      incompatibly.  Its registry is opaque (and redundant).]

Restricting module system operations and autoloading to Scheme code
only provided an immediate and significant simplification, without
much hassle to the user.  The simplified setup should also be easier
to understand.

[ttn: The "without much hassle" is unfounded, unfortunately.  The
      guile-1.4.x system supports C++ encapsulation of a "module"
      as a C++ object, and two-phase protocol for use: registration
      before libguile is initialized, and then run-time loading as
      described above.  Registry manipulation is supported.  None
      of this is available w/ guile-1.6.x.]

* Re: updated $workbook/modules/modules-and-shared-libs.text
       [not found] ` <20020521173935.5f721206.dsmith@altustech.com>
@ 2002-05-21 22:16   ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2002-05-21 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

   From: "Dale P. Smith" <dsmith@altustech.com>
   Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 17:39:35 -0400

   [ lot's of stuff about the way modules/shared-libraries have changed ]

   I just noticed something recently:  I can no longer load a .so file from
   guile 1.6.x using load-extension.  I had to make a .la file (by copying
   one that was already in /usr/local/lib and editing it suitably) for it
   to work.

   Is it now necessary to use libtool (or whatever it's called) to make a
   .so that Guile can load?  Am I finally going to have to roll up my
   sleeves and dig into the auto* tools maze?

i could answer in a sneaky way, but let me lay my agenda bare: i want to
encourage users to get to know guile inside as well as out so that they
can maintain it over the long run.  this entails some learning; if we
record what we learn (instead of discussing aimlessly on mailing lists
w/ no conclusion) that's not so bad.  so if by-the-by you learn more
about the auto* tools (and share that), i think guile will benefit.

as for the particular hatchet job that is load-extension and all that it
entails, i partially sympathize w/ the intent of simplifying things.  to
be useful though, you cannot simplify too much, which is what happened.

so to answer your question, it depends on what kind of time scope you're
prepared to put into it: if you think in the long-term, you can help
design the "build-guile-compiled-module" program, starting at the user
interface (specifying command-line args/options), and someone (me or you
if you gain write privs and get to know libtool) will make it so.  this
design is then likely to be available w/ guile-1.6.x (or its successor
should 1.6.x be prematurely released).

if you think in the medium- or short-term, probably that means you want
to work around 1.6.x deficiencies, in which case i cannot help, because
to me all infrastructure-related work should be done in the context of
long-term thinking.

thi

@ 2002-05-21 22:30 ` Bill Gribble
From: Bill Gribble @ 2002-05-21 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

On Tue, 2002-05-21 at 16:16, Thien-Thi Nguyen wrote:
> [ttn: The "without much hassle" is unfounded, unfortunately.  The
>       guile-1.4.x system supports C++ encapsulation of a "module"
>       as a C++ object, and two-phase protocol for use: registration
>       before libguile is initialized, and then run-time loading as
>       described above.  Registry manipulation is supported.  None
>       of this is available w/ guile-1.6.x.]

Really?  It's my understanding that the 1.4 behavior can be effectively
reproduced in 1.6 by installing a trivial Scheme module stub that does
something like the following:

 (define-module (foo bar))
 (define *foobar-C-lib* (dynamic-link "my-C-lib"))
 (dynamic-call (dynamic-func "my_module_init_func") *foobar-C-lib*)

I have only done this a couple of times, and only in 1.4, so I'm not
certain that it does what I think it does completely.  But it seems like
it could readily be made to work, and provides all the functionality of
the old behavior.

Am I totally wrong about that?

b.g.

* Re: updated $workbook/modules/modules-and-shared-libs.text
@ 2002-05-21 23:31   ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2002-05-21 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

   From: Bill Gribble <grib@linuxdevel.com>
   Date: 21 May 2002 17:30:48 -0500

   Am I totally wrong about that?

no, but 1.4 behavior includes more than that (see C++).

i made a mistake: 1.6.x includes 1.4.x facilities but marked as
deprecated and conditionally (via configure option) omitted.  in HEAD,
where i was browsing, these have been removed.  here's the new text:

      [...] The
      guile-1.4.x system supports C++ encapsulation of a "module"
      as a C++ object, and two-phase protocol for use: registration
      before libguile is initialized, and then run-time loading as
      described above.  Registry manipulation is supported.  None
      of this is available w/ guile-1.6.x if configured w/ the
      "--disable-deprecated" option.  None of this is available
      in HEAD at this time (2002-05-21).]

thanks for prompting me to be more precise.

thi

@ 2002-05-22  1:52 ` Rob Browning
From: Rob Browning @ 2002-05-22  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@giblet.glug.org> writes:

> [ttn: Guile uses libtool and consequently libltdl, so it is possible
>       to use `lt_dlsetsearchpath' to alleviate (and actually bypass)
>       OS restrictions.  A scheme binding for `lt_dlsetsearchpath' is
>       also possible.  Thus, this argument against guile-1.4.x system
>       actually can be recast as an argument for providing access and
>       appropriate supporting protocol to `lt_dlsetsearchpath'.]

If I'm recalling correctly (and I may not be) this doesn't help when
the libs need to be linked against each other, or even when one lib
depends on another and isn't in the standard ldso search path.

I believe you may be able to get around this with -rpath, but ISTR
that there are reasons (some distribution related) why -rpath isn't a
good idea.  However I don't have all the relevant
ldso/libtool/distribution packaging snafus swapped in ATM, so this may
or may not be a problem in the particular approach you're planning.

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu

* Re: updated $workbook/modules/modules-and-shared-libs.text
@ 2002-05-22  2:11   ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2002-05-22  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

   From: Rob Browning <rlb@defaultvalue.org>
   Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 20:52:49 -0500

   If I'm recalling correctly (and I may not be) this doesn't help when
   the libs need to be linked against each other, or even when one lib
   depends on another and isn't in the standard ldso search path.

yes, you've repeated these hearsays before.

   I believe you may be able to get around this with -rpath, but ISTR
   that there are reasons (some distribution related) why -rpath isn't a
   good idea.  However I don't have all the relevant
   ldso/libtool/distribution packaging snafus swapped in ATM, so this may
   or may not be a problem in the particular approach you're planning.

thanks for trying to be helpful.

thi

* Re: updated $workbook/modules/modules-and-shared-libs.text
@ 2002-05-22  4:23     ` Rob Browning
From: Rob Browning @ 2002-05-22  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@giblet.glug.org> writes:

> yes, you've repeated these hearsays before.

Not exactly hearsays -- problems I've run in to directly while working
on prgrams using guile, guile modules, and shared libraries
extensively.

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu

* Re: updated $workbook/modules/modules-and-shared-libs.text
@ 2002-05-22  7:40       ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2002-05-22  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

   From: Rob Browning <rlb@defaultvalue.org>
   Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 23:23:01 -0500

   Not exactly hearsays -- problems I've run in to directly while
   working on prgrams using guile, guile modules, and shared libraries
   extensively.

i'm not doubting your experience, just your way of sharing it.

it's better if you can share experiences directly (as bug reports or
other notes under $workbook) than as anecdotal asides.  a bug report
would be best, because it encourages us to think about and develop
testing framework to test for that bug, in addition to providing useful
documentation on your experience.

if you don't want to be formal, create $workbook/journal/rlb and add
notes there.  other people can organize the raw data to their needs; all
you have to do is make it available (in a precise way) in a place that's
easier to get to than requiring a possibly fruitless archive search.

asking people to search for specific information wastes their time and
shows you didn't value the information enough to use your write privs to
their best effect.  in the end, how can people trust your judgements if
they can't see your methods?

thi

* Re: updated $workbook/modules/modules-and-shared-libs.text
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-05-22 12:28 ` Marius Vollmer
From: Marius Vollmer @ 2002-05-22 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@giblet.glug.org> writes:

> i've added some comments.

me too.  Woohoo, discussion via CVS...

The following is by mvo, w/ editorial comments by by others.
The latter can be identified by "[NAME: ....]".

Guile used to be able to automatically find and link a shared
library to satisfy requests for a module.  For example, the module
`(foo bar)' could be implemented by placing a shared library named
"foo/libbar.so" (or with a different extension) in a directory on the
load path of Guile.

This has been found to be too tricky, and is no longer supported.  The
shared libraries are now called "extensions".  You should now write a
small Scheme file that calls `load-extension' to load the shared
library and initialize it explicitely.

[ttn: This decision to drop support applies to guile-1.6.x;
      guile-1.4.x continues to support this.]

[mvo: However, it is not clear yet that there will be a 1.4.x series.]

[...]

[mvo: Whatever additional tricks libltdl does, they do not apply to ld
      or ld.so.  Shared libraries are not only used at run-time (via
      lt_dlopen, say), but also at link-time (by ld) and load-time (by
      ld.so, or whatsitcalledonyourplatform).  It might very well be
      possible to design something that is more advanced than
      'load-extension' and plays well with lt_dlopen, ld, and ld.so,
      but limiting us to the very simple things that 'load-extension'
      does now gives us (at least, me) good confidence that it will
      work fairly portably.]

Additionally, module boundaries are not necessarily language
boundaries.  That is, a module can be a mix of Scheme and C (and one
file might want to provide more than one module).  Therefore, we need
a good way to load shared libraries independently from modules anyway.

[ttn: In dynl.c there are several good ways already.  The guile-1.6.x
      `load-extension' doesn't seem to be very much value-add over the
      already provided and stable mechanisms.  There is no spec for it,
      including failure modes.  There are plans to change its interface
      incompatibly.  Its registry is opaque (and redundant).]

[mvo: It is deliberate that 'load-extension' adds very little over
      dynamic-link/dynamic-call.  I don't know of any plans to change
      its interface incompatibly.  You can ignore the registry.  It is
      there for people who want to statically link extensions.]

Restricting module system operations and autoloading to Scheme code
only provided an immediate and significant simplification, without
much hassle to the user.  The simplified setup should also be easier
to understand.

[ttn: The "without much hassle" is unfounded, unfortunately.  The
      guile-1.4.x system supports C++ encapsulation of a "module"
      as a C++ object, and two-phase protocol for use: registration
      before libguile is initialized, and then run-time loading as
      described above.  Registry manipulation is supported.  None
      of this is available w/ guile-1.6.x if configured w/ the
      "--disable-deprecated" option.  None of this is available
      in HEAD at this time (2002-05-21).]

[mvo: Yes, "much hassle" is a subjective term.  But there are no
      complaints (besides yours) about it.]

* Re: updated $workbook/modules/modules-and-shared-libs.text
@ 2002-05-22 19:29   ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2002-05-22 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

   From: Marius Vollmer <mvo@zagadka.ping.de>
   Date: 22 May 2002 14:28:38 +0200

   me too.  Woohoo, discussion via CVS...

cool.  this is how we can avoid "well, i remember so-and-so thinking
perhaps maybe this-and-that, why don't you check the archives".  thanks
for trying this method out; i believe we will gain understanding faster
and more thoroughly because of it.

thi

* re: conversation via CVS
@ 2002-05-22 20:09     ` Joshua Judson Rosen
From: Joshua Judson Rosen @ 2002-05-22 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: mvo, guile-user

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 12:29:58PM -0700, Thien-Thi Nguyen wrote:
>    From: Marius Vollmer <mvo@zagadka.ping.de>
>    Date: 22 May 2002 14:28:38 +0200
>
>    me too.  Woohoo, discussion via CVS...
>
> cool.  this is how we can avoid "well, i remember so-and-so thinking
> perhaps maybe this-and-that, why don't you check the archives".  thanks
> for trying this method out; i believe we will gain understanding faster
> and more thoroughly because of it.

Hey, just wondering: has anyone here thought about setting up a guilers' wiki?

They seem to be all the rage, these days....

--
I think that this is why I dropped AI--
too many real people around me that acted like cheesy AI

* Re: conversation via CVS
@ 2002-05-22 20:48       ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2002-05-22 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: mvo, guile-user

   From: Joshua Judson Rosen <rozzin@geekspace.com>
   Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 16:09:30 -0400

   Hey, just wondering: has anyone here thought about setting up a
   guilers' wiki?

yeah, that's a good idea.  there is a half-baked implementation of a
wiki (using guile, even) at:

 http://www.glug.org/people/ttn/software/wikid/

the notable design decisions were to use a daemon for the wiki (hence
the name) and to require explicit links syntax, like: <<this is a link>>
instead of traditional WikiWords (which i find annoying to read and
type).  the latter is not difficult to change.

i was able to run wikid on glug.org (apache) experimentally for a few
weeks, and got some feedback.

wikid is looking for a new maintainer, if anyone is interested (please
contact me off-list).

thi

* Re: updated $workbook/modules/modules-and-shared-libs.text
@ 2002-05-22 20:54     ` Marius Vollmer
From: Marius Vollmer @ 2002-05-22 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@giblet.glug.org> writes:

>    From: Marius Vollmer <mvo@zagadka.ping.de>
>    Date: 22 May 2002 14:28:38 +0200
>
>    me too.  Woohoo, discussion via CVS...
>
> cool.  this is how we can avoid "well, i remember so-and-so thinking
> perhaps maybe this-and-that, why don't you check the archives".  thanks
> for trying this method out; i believe we will gain understanding faster
> and more thoroughly because of it.

Yes, good point.  However, we would also need to distill it into
something more compact.  Just collecting single-minded opinion pieces
does not automatically lead to understanding.

* Re: updated $workbook/modules/modules-and-shared-libs.text
@ 2002-05-22 22:27       ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2002-05-22 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

   From: Marius Vollmer <mvo@zagadka.ping.de>
   Date: 22 May 2002 22:54:32 +0200

   Yes, good point.  However, we would also need to distill it into
   something more compact.  Just collecting single-minded opinion pieces
   does not automatically lead to understanding.

yes, single-minded opinion pieces are for mailing lists.  understanding
must rest on facts -- what does some piece of software do in some
circumstance?

gathering these together is called research.  manipulating these pieces
to cover the desired circumstances and shaping their edges to be smooth
is called design.

thi

* Re: conversation via CVS
@ 2002-05-22 23:37         ` Joshua Judson Rosen
From: Joshua Judson Rosen @ 2002-05-22 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: mvo, guile-user

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 01:48:42PM -0700, Thien-Thi Nguyen wrote:

> there is a half-baked implementation of a
> wiki (using guile, even) at:
>
>  http://www.glug.org/people/ttn/software/wikid/
>
> the notable design decisions were to use a daemon for the wiki (hence
> the name)

Ah, yes--I remember it, now. I couldn't figure out whether it was
"wikid" like "wiki-dee the wiki daemon" or you were going for a pun on
"wicked", maybe being New-Englandish or something :)

* Re: conversation via CVS
@ 2002-05-22 23:43           ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2002-05-22 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: mvo, guile-user

   From: Joshua Judson Rosen <rozzin@geekspace.com>
   Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 19:37:31 -0400

   Ah, yes--I remember it, now. I couldn't figure out whether it was
   "wikid" like "wiki-dee the wiki daemon" or you were going for a pun on
   "wicked", maybe being New-Englandish or something :)

yeah, i did --er-- spent time in boston area.  it has influenced my
speech somewhat (and driving habits ;-).

thi

* Re: conversation via CVS
@ 2002-05-23 11:47         ` MJ Ray
From: MJ Ray @ 2002-05-23 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@giblet.glug.org> wrote:
> the notable design decisions were to use a daemon for the wiki (hence
> the name) and to require explicit links syntax, like: <<this is a link>>
> instead of traditional WikiWords (which i find annoying to read and
> type).  the latter is not difficult to change.

I think supporting [] around links as well as WikiWords is something that I
have seen elsewhere.

MJR, off to look at the code.