unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* using a module : rename a single definition
@ 2024-03-03  8:46 Damien Mattei
From: Damien Mattei @ 2024-03-03  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

hello,

is it possible to import a module having just one variable renamed (not
all) , as in Racket:

(require (rename-in srfi/42
             (: s42:))) ; Eager Comprehensions

it seems in Guile either all is imported and prefixed or only a selection
of bindings can be imported:

https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/Using-Guile-Modules.html

(use-modules ((ice-9 popen)
              #:select ((open-pipe . pipe-open) close-pipe)
              #:prefix unixy:))

regards,

* Re: using a module : rename a single definition
@ 2024-03-03 11:50 ` Tomas Volf
From: Tomas Volf @ 2024-03-03 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damien Mattei; +Cc: guile-user

On 2024-03-03 09:46:41 +0100, Damien Mattei wrote:
> hello,
>
> is it possible to import a module having just one variable renamed (not
> all) , as in Racket:
>
> (require (rename-in srfi/42
>              (: s42:))) ; Eager Comprehensions
>
> it seems in Guile either all is imported and prefixed or only a selection
> of bindings can be imported:
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/Using-Guile-Modules.html
>
> (use-modules ((ice-9 popen)
>               #:select ((open-pipe . pipe-open) close-pipe)
>               #:prefix unixy:))
>
> regards,

There does not seem to be a way to *exclude* a single symbol from the import,
but, if you do not mind having *also* the original symbol (or if you will just
override it later with something else anyway), it seems you can do something
like this:

    (use-modules (ice-9 popen)
                 ((ice-9 popen) #:select ((open-pipe . foo-bar))))

After that you have both `open-pipe' and `foo-bar' available, pointing to the
same procedure.  At this point you could just re-define `open-pipe' to something
else and use the `foo-bar'.

Maybe there is a better way, but I did not find it in the manual.

Have a nice day,
Tomas Volf

--
There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: using a module : rename a single definition
@ 2024-03-03 12:55 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2024-03-03 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damien Mattei; +Cc: guile-user

On Sun, Mar 03, 2024 at 09:46:41AM +0100, Damien Mattei wrote:
> hello,
>
> is it possible to import a module having just one variable renamed (not
> all) , as in Racket:
>
> (require (rename-in srfi/42
>              (: s42:))) ; Eager Comprehensions
>
> it seems in Guile either all is imported and prefixed or only a selection
> of bindings can be imported:

I was under the impression that #:renamer should give us enough rope
to shoot anyone in the foot ;-)

A quick and unscientific test -- this one should rename xcons to snoc
and leave all the rest of srfi-1 alone:

  tomas@trotzki:~$ guile
  GNU Guile 3.0.9.120-79e836-dirty
  Copyright (C) 1995-2023 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
  scheme@(guile-user)> (use-modules ( (srfi srfi-1)
                                      #:renamer (lambda (sym)
                                                  (if (eq? sym 'xcons)
                                                        'snoc
                                                        sym))))

  scheme@(guile-user)> (snoc 'a 'b)
  $1 = (b . a)

Cheers

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: using a module : rename a single definition
@ 2024-03-03 14:37   ` Damien Mattei
From: Damien Mattei @ 2024-03-03 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damien Mattei, guile-user

yes , your solution works, thanks :

(use-modules (Scheme+)
    (matrix+)
    (srfi srfi-42) ; import all definitions
    ((srfi srfi-42)
            #:select ((: . s42-:))) ; rename only one
    ;;((srfi srfi-42) ; Eager Comprehensions
    ;; #:prefix s42-)
    (oop goops)
    (srfi srfi-43)) ; vectors

used in code:

{M <- (vector-ec (s42-: n {lnc - 1}) ; vectors by eager comprehension (SRFI
42)
                            create-matrix-by-function(uniform-dummy nc[n +
1] {nc[n] + 1}))} ;; Matrix-vect

after parsing (convert curly infix scheme+ to classic scheme):

(<- M
      (vector-ec
        (s42-: n (- lnc 1))
        (create-matrix-by-function
          uniform-dummy
          ($bracket-apply$next nc (list (+ n 1)))
          (+ ($bracket-apply$next nc (list n)) 1))))

i tested also the solution of tomas and it works too:

(use-modules (Scheme+)
    (matrix+)
    ;(srfi srfi-42) ; import all definitions
             ((srfi srfi-42)
#:renamer (lambda (sym)
                              (if (eq? sym ':)
                                  's42-:
                                  sym)))
;#:select ((: . s42-:))) ; rename only one
    ;;((srfi srfi-42) ; Eager Comprehensions
;; #:prefix s42-)
    (oop goops)
    (srfi srfi-43)) ; vectors

Merçi

Damien

@ 2024-03-19 23:09 ` Maxime Devos
From: Maxime Devos @ 2024-03-19 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damien Mattei, guile-user

Yes, with ‘library’ or ‘define-library’ forms.

(see https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/R6RS-Libraries.html)

(library (insert name here)
  (export [insert exports here])
  (import
    (guile) ; standard imports
    (rename (ice-9 popen) (open-pipe pipe-open)))
  [insert definitions here])

* Re: using a module : rename a single definition
@ 2024-03-27  7:42   ` Damien Mattei
From: Damien Mattei @ 2024-03-27  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Devos; +Cc: guile-user

yes it should works. I trying to port all my scheme code in R6RS library
style for compatibility,it's a bit complex depending the integration of
R6RS in a particular scheme but i think there should be a compatibility
advantage doing that.

Damien

@ 2024-03-27 10:47     ` Hans-Werner Roitzsch
From: Hans-Werner Roitzsch @ 2024-03-27 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damien Mattei; +Cc: guile-user

Hello Damien,

Be aware though, that porting some exports may not work without renaming them:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-user/2023-06/msg00020.html

Regards,
Zelphir

@ 2024-03-27 11:44       ` Damien Mattei
From: Damien Mattei @ 2024-03-27 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans-Werner Roitzsch; +Cc: guile-user

thank you for the advice,for now i'm trying with Racket r6rs support and it
is not easy,
the solution in guile seems to be to rename or to use the define-module
style instead of the r6rs library, if only a name in the new library is the
same as an existing name in guile library it is not usable as it is
re-exported as the guile original binding.
If really the problem is so important i'm not sure to use r6rs with guile
now.
regards,
damien