unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* [ANN] Guile Homebrew Tap
@ 2020-05-28 15:37 Aleix Conchillo Flaqué
From: Aleix Conchillo Flaqué @ 2020-05-28 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hi!

I'm excited to announce a new project: Guile Homebrew Tap. This is a
Homebrew tap that allows you to easily install Guile libraries on macOS
through Homebrew.

https://github.com/aconchillo/homebrew-guile

It already supports a few libraries: chickadee, guile-gcrypt, guile-git,
guile-json and more.

Issues, comments and new formulas are more than welcome.

Happy hacking!

Aleix

* Re: [ANN] Guile Homebrew Tap
@ 2020-05-28 17:36 ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2020-05-28 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aleix Conchillo Flaqué; +Cc: guile-user

Il giorno gio 28 mag 2020 alle ore 17:38 Aleix Conchillo Flaqué <
aconchillo@gmail.com> ha scritto:

> Hi!
>
> I'm excited to announce a new project: Guile Homebrew Tap. This is a
> Homebrew tap that allows you to easily install Guile libraries on macOS
> through Homebrew.
>
> https://github.com/aconchillo/homebrew-guile
>
> It already supports a few libraries: chickadee, guile-gcrypt, guile-git,
> guile-json and more.
>
> Issues, comments and new formulas are more than welcome.

Thank you Alex !!

It's nice to see efforts to improve the Guile UX ! 😃

* Re: [ANN] Guile Homebrew Tap
@ 2020-05-29 10:49 ` Alex Sassmannshausen
From: Alex Sassmannshausen @ 2020-05-29 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aleix Conchillo Flaqué, guile-user

Hey Aleix,

This project is very interesting — anything to make Guile more widely
available and get started with!

I can see that recipes seem pretty straightforward.  Would there be a
point do you think in having Hall be able to auto-generate them for
contribution to your repo?

Aside from this do you know if Guix is supported on MacOS?  I am not a
user and do not know the current state!

Cheers,

Alex

On Thu, 2020-05-28 at 08:37 -0700, Aleix Conchillo Flaqué wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm excited to announce a new project: Guile Homebrew Tap. This is a
> Homebrew tap that allows you to easily install Guile libraries on
> macOS
> through Homebrew.
>
> https://github.com/aconchillo/homebrew-guile
>
> It already supports a few libraries: chickadee, guile-gcrypt, guile-
> git,
> guile-json and more.
>
> Issues, comments and new formulas are more than welcome.
>
> Happy hacking!
>
> Aleix

* Re: [ANN] Guile Homebrew Tap
@ 2020-05-29 16:56   ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2020-05-29 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Sassmannshausen; +Cc: guile-user

Alex Sassmannshausen <alex.sassmannshausen@gmail.com> writes:

> Aside from this do you know if Guix is supported on MacOS?

Guix cannot be used on macos (outside of virualization).  That’s because
we have neither a free toolchain, nor an active port of glibc for their
kernel.

--
Ricardo

* Re: [ANN] Guile Homebrew Tap
@ 2020-05-29 21:18     ` Alex Sassmannshausen
From: Alex Sassmannshausen @ 2020-05-29 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guile-user

On Fri, 2020-05-29 at 18:56 +0200, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> Alex Sassmannshausen <alex.sassmannshausen@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Aside from this do you know if Guix is supported on MacOS?
>
> Guix cannot be used on macos (outside of virualization).  That’s
> because
> we have neither a free toolchain, nor an active port of glibc for
> their
> kernel.

That is very useful to know, cheers for that Ricardo.

It seems to me that adding support for Brew in Hall then might be a
good idea if we want to spread use of Guile.

Cheers,

Alex

* Re: [ANN] Guile Homebrew Tap
@ 2020-06-04 22:53       ` Aleix Conchillo Flaqué
From: Aleix Conchillo Flaqué @ 2020-06-04 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Sassmannshausen; +Cc: guile-user

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 2:18 PM Alex Sassmannshausen <
alex.sassmannshausen@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2020-05-29 at 18:56 +0200, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> > Alex Sassmannshausen <alex.sassmannshausen@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > > Aside from this do you know if Guix is supported on MacOS?
> >
> > Guix cannot be used on macos (outside of virualization).  That’s
> > because
> > we have neither a free toolchain, nor an active port of glibc for
> > their
> > kernel.
>
> That is very useful to know, cheers for that Ricardo.
>
> It seems to me that adding support for Brew in Hall then might be a
> good idea if we want to spread use of Guile.

That would be nice.

What would be even more helpful is that Hall knew how to build, test and
install a project by only using the `hall-description`. For the scheme-only
projects people wouldn't even need to do anything with autotools. Is that
on the roadmap?

Aleix