unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* What if Guile changed its license to be LGPL?
@ 2002-06-04 19:36 Marius Vollmer
From: Marius Vollmer @ 2002-06-04 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Guile currently has a license that consists of the GPL plus a special
exception that gives blanket permission to link Guile with non-free
software without putting restrictions on that non-free software.

This is different from the Lesser GPL, which would require the
non-free software to enable users of that software to modify Guile and
get the non-free software to use the modified Guile.  (This can be
simply done by linking to libguile dynamically, say.)

The special license of Guile means that we can't use other LGPLed
software for it without putting the whole of Guile under the LGPL,
effectively.  For example, we want to GMP for our bignum
implementation, and GMP is LGPL.

So, here comes the hypothetical questions: If we would change the
license of Guile to be the Lesser GPL, would you stop using it?
(Please reply only when your answer is "yes".)

What specifically would make you stop using it?  (I.e., "LGPL would
require me to distribute a link-kit, and I can't do that.")

Thanks!