unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* SRFIs
@ 2017-09-17 14:49 Christopher Howard
From: Christopher Howard @ 2017-09-17 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, I was just wondering if Guile developers are planning to implement
all the SRFIs eventually, or if they are just picking and choosing a
few here and there? Put another way, is it just a matter of someone
volunteering the time to do each SRFI, or are some not being done on
purpose?

--
https://qlfiles.net
https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en/

* Re: SRFIs
@ 2017-09-17 16:04 ` Amirouche Boubekki
From: Amirouche Boubekki @ 2017-09-17 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 17 sept. 2017 16:49, "Christopher Howard" <christopher.howard@qlfiles.net>
a écrit :

Hi, I was just wondering if Guile developers are planning to implement
all the SRFIs eventually, or if they are just picking and choosing a
few here and there? Put another way, is it just a matter of someone
volunteering the time to do each SRFI, or are some not being done on
purpose?

--
https://qlfiles.net
https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en/

There is no race to support all SRFI. Some of them are discussed in guile

* Re: SRFIs
@ 2017-09-18 14:49 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-09-18 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Howard; +Cc: Guile User

Hello Christopher,

Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@qlfiles.net> skribis:

> Hi, I was just wondering if Guile developers are planning to implement
> all the SRFIs eventually, or if they are just picking and choosing a
> few here and there? Put another way, is it just a matter of someone
> volunteering the time to do each SRFI, or are some not being done on
> purpose?

I can’t think of any SRFI being purposefully ignored, so I think it’s
mostly a matter of someone volunteering to do the work.

Ludo’.

* Re: SRFIs
@ 2017-09-18 15:10   ` Christopher Howard
From: Christopher Howard @ 2017-09-18 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guile User

Do the SRFIs typically require any C hacking? It seems in Guile there
is usually a C function for each built-in scheme function, but I'm not
sure how that applies to SRFIs.

--
Christopher Howard
Computer Assistant

@ 2017-09-18 19:33     ` Arne Babenhauserheide
From: Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2017-09-18 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Howard; +Cc: Ludovic Courtès, Guile User

Christopher Howard <christopher@alaskasi.com> writes:

> Do the SRFIs typically require any C hacking? It seems in Guile there
> is usually a C function for each built-in scheme function, but I'm not
> sure how that applies to SRFIs.

Most should not, but they do need good mapping to the performance
characteristics of Guile, so you’ll need some experimenting to get them
just right.

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: SRFIs
@ 2017-09-18 20:12       ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-09-18 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arne Babenhauserheide; +Cc: Guile User

Arne Babenhauserheide <arne_bab@web.de> skribis:

> Christopher Howard <christopher@alaskasi.com> writes:
>
>> Do the SRFIs typically require any C hacking? It seems in Guile there
>> is usually a C function for each built-in scheme function, but I'm not
>> sure how that applies to SRFIs.
>
> Most should not, but they do need good mapping to the performance
> characteristics of Guile, so you’ll need some experimenting to get them
> just right.

In practice the C code base in libguile is mostly concerned with libc
bindings, the VM, and other low-level things, not with high-level Scheme
APIs typically found in SRFIs.

So don’t worry, no C involved.  :-)

Ludo’.

* Re: SRFIs
@ 2017-09-19 20:50 ` Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer
From: Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer @ 2017-09-19 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@qlfiles.net> writes:

> Hi, I was just wondering if Guile developers are planning to implement
> all the SRFIs eventually, or if they are just picking and choosing a
> few here and there? Put another way, is it just a matter of someone
> volunteering the time to do each SRFI, or are some not being done on
> purpose?

Note that once Guile's R7RS-small support is complete (which IIRC was on
the roadmap), it will automatically support many more SRFIs, since there
are R7RS-small implementations of them.

I maintained a collection of such implementations for a while here,
though the project is currently inactive (partly because the newest
SRFIs are R7RS-large related, and I've given up hope on R7RS-large):

    https://github.com/taylanub/scheme-srfis

Taylan