unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* RE: [bootstrappable] Can Guile be bootstrapped from source without psyntax-pp.scm?
@ 2017-07-07 10:34 Jeremiah
From: Jeremiah @ 2017-07-07 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alexvong1995; +Cc: guile-user, bootstrappable

Well looking at the contents of psyntax-pp.scm
(https://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=guile.git;a=blob;f=module/ice-9/psyntax-pp.scm;h=e2ebeced117d4c43ca2eb3ca3a1b659f3fb62d9a;hb=HEAD)
I would argue it counts as source code as it is in a form that is human
readable and modifiable.

But I am glad that you were concerned about potential non-human readable
sources required in bootstraps :D

-Jeremiah

* Re: [bootstrappable] Can Guile be bootstrapped from source without psyntax-pp.scm?
@ 2017-07-07 16:48 ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2017-07-07 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeremiah; +Cc: guile-user, bootstrappable

Jeremiah@pdp10.guru writes:

> Well looking at the contents of psyntax-pp.scm
> (https://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=guile.git;a=blob;f=module/ice-9/psyntax-pp.scm;h=e2ebeced117d4c43ca2eb3ca3a1b659f3fb62d9a;hb=HEAD)
> I would argue it counts as source code as it is in a form that is human
> readable and modifiable.

The GNU licenses define "source code" as "the preferred form of the work
for making modifications to it".  I think it is quite important for our
future liberty that we hold to this definition and not accept a weaker
one.

> But I am glad that you were concerned about potential non-human readable
> sources required in bootstraps :D

Yes, this is an area of great concern for me, hence my efforts to
mitigate the problem.

     Thanks,
       Mark

* Re: [bootstrappable] Can Guile be bootstrapped from source without psyntax-pp.scm?
@ 2017-07-07 21:20 Jeremiah
From: Jeremiah @ 2017-07-07 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mhw; +Cc: guile-user, bootstrappable

> The GNU licenses define "source code" as "the preferred form of the work
> for making modifications to it".  I think it is quite important for our
> future liberty that we hold to this definition and not accept a weaker
> one.

You are absolutely right in that regard

and should we be completely honest with ourselves about the trusting
trust attack, we must admit that unless a human takes the time to
manually write a replacement, we gain very little trust in auditing the
new machine generated versions of this file.

But as always the question becomes, who will be the one to do it?