unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* OpenCV binding
@ 2022-09-08 16:24 Andy Tai
From: Andy Tai @ 2022-09-08 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

curious if there is OpenCV binding for guile?  and anything like NumPy
for guile?

* Re: OpenCV binding
@ 2022-09-08 17:54 ` David Pirotte
From: David Pirotte @ 2022-09-08 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Tai; +Cc: guile-user

Hello Andy,

> curious if there is OpenCV binding for guile?  and anything like NumPy
> for guile?

No, and currently that would not be possible, as Open-CV is written in
C++ and there no ffi for C++ code ... They used to have and maintain a
C api, up to 2.xx (not sure up to what exact version), then dropped
support for the C api.

This is why - not the only reason, but a major factor in my decision -
I choose to bind and extend Guile-CV [1] using Vigra [2], but now Vigra
seems unmaintained :(

You also might look at aiscm [3], and other projects that might interest
you, to my knowledge, the most up-to-date guile projects list is here
[4].

David

[1]	https://www.gnu.org/software/guile-cv/
[2]	http://ukoethe.github.io/vigra/

	it actually is because someone was maintaining a Vigra C lib
	that I could use Vigra in Guile-CV, as Vigra is also written in
	C++

	https://github.com/BSeppke/vigra_c

[3]	https://github.com/wedesoft/aiscm
[4]	http://sph.mn/foreign/guile-software.html

* Re: OpenCV binding
@ 2022-09-08 18:59   ` Hans Åberg
From: Hans Åberg @ 2022-09-08 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Pirotte; +Cc: Andy Tai, guile-user

> On 8 Sep 2022, at 19:54, David Pirotte <david@altosw.be> wrote:
>
>> curious if there is OpenCV binding for guile?  and anything like NumPy
>> for guile?
>
> No, and currently that would not be possible, as Open-CV is written in
> C++ and there no ffi for C++ code ...

I wrote a C++ wrap for Guile, and the opposite is also possible with GCC, only that C++ exceptions do not work properly:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-user/2010-05/msg00035.html