unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* status of guile-gnome and replacements?
@ 2023-11-07 14:37 Greg Troxel
From: Greg Troxel @ 2023-11-07 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

In pkgsrc we are pruning gnome2 (but have mate).  That's not about
guile, but it is causing a hard look at things that depend on gnome2.

We have guile-gnome 2.16.5, the most recent release, released in June of
2017.  I remember using something in 2004ish, but more for gtk than
gnome.

Our package depends on guile 2.0.  I just tried to run calc.scm which I
remember from the old days, but it failed, perhaps  due to how we
namespace multiple guile versions.

I tried to find what guile-gnome has been replaced by, and remembered
g-wrap, but last release was 2015 and it's a FFI.

I then found guile-gtk, from 2007 which says to use guile-gnome.

I found guile-cairo, from 2020 which counts as recent, but "Guile-Cairo
is complete, wrapping almost all of the Cairo API." which does not seem
to be "you can use this to do random gtk3 things".

So: what is the current best way to do gtk3 (4?) from guile?

At this point I have no need, but I like to see guile things live on,
when it makes sense.  But it is seeming like tilting at windmills to
keep guile-gnome going.

What do other packaging systems do?  Debian 12 doesn't have guile-gnome
but it does have guile-cairo.

Greg

* Re: status of guile-gnome and replacements?
@ 2023-11-07 14:47 ` MSavoritias
From: MSavoritias @ 2023-11-07 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Troxel, guile-user

On 11/7/23 16:37, Greg Troxel wrote:
> In pkgsrc we are pruning gnome2 (but have mate).  That's not about
> guile, but it is causing a hard look at things that depend on gnome2.
>
> We have guile-gnome 2.16.5, the most recent release, released in June of
> 2017.  I remember using something in 2004ish, but more for gtk than
> gnome.
>
> Our package depends on guile 2.0.  I just tried to run calc.scm which I
> remember from the old days, but it failed, perhaps  due to how we
> namespace multiple guile versions.
>
> I tried to find what guile-gnome has been replaced by, and remembered
> g-wrap, but last release was 2015 and it's a FFI.
>
> I then found guile-gtk, from 2007 which says to use guile-gnome.
>
> I found guile-cairo, from 2020 which counts as recent, but "Guile-Cairo
> is complete, wrapping almost all of the Cairo API." which does not seem
> to be "you can use this to do random gtk3 things".
>
> So: what is the current best way to do gtk3 (4?) from guile?
>
> At this point I have no need, but I like to see guile things live on,
> when it makes sense.  But it is seeming like tilting at windmills to
> keep guile-gnome going.
>
> What do other packaging systems do?  Debian 12 doesn't have guile-gnome
> but it does have guile-cairo.
>
> Greg

As far as i know the most maintained and best way to use gtk/gnome
things from guile is guile-gi https://github.com/spk121/guile-gi

Regards,

MSavoritias

* Re: status of guile-gnome and replacements?
@ 2023-11-07 16:22   ` Mike Gran
From: Mike Gran @ 2023-11-07 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Troxel, guile-user@gnu.org, MSavoritias

>> What do other packaging systems do?  Debian 12 doesn't have guile-gnome
>> but it does have guile-cairo.
>>
>> Greg

>As far as i know the most maintained and best way to use gtk/gnome
>things from guile is guile-gi https://github.com/spk121/guile-gi

I'm maintainer of guile-gi, and it ended up being nearly impossible to use, because
of some design decisions.  It is in the midst of a slow redesign from which
it may rise again better and stronger, or may never recover.

In the meantime, g-golf is coming along nicely for writing Gtk3 in guile.
It is more methodically maintained.

There aren't many people writing gui apps in Guile.

Regards,
Mike Gran

* Re: status of guile-gnome and replacements?
@ 2023-11-08  3:19 ` David Pirotte
From: David Pirotte @ 2023-11-08  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Troxel; +Cc: guile-user

> So: what is the current best way to do gtk3 (4?) from guile?

You should (highly) consider using Adwaita instead (libadwaita),
and gtk-4 for what ever isn't customized (yet) in libadwaita.

But to address your question (disclaimer, I am its maintainer), as Mike
already did suggest, you should use g-golf [1].

Regards,
David

[1]	which by the way comes with gtk-4 examples as well as a port
(wip) of the upstream adwaita-1-demo. Images (screenshots) of those
examples here: https://www.gnu.org/software/g-golf/learn.html

* Re: status of guile-gnome and replacements?
@ 2023-11-08  3:27 ` David Pirotte
From: David Pirotte @ 2023-11-08  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Troxel; +Cc: guile-user

> What do other packaging systems do?

I forgot to mention that g-golf is being packaged for debian [1] - and
already is in freebsd, homebrew and guix.

David

[1]	https://ftp-master.debian.org/new/g-golf_0.8.0~rc1-1.html

* Re: status of guile-gnome and replacements?
@ 2023-11-10 14:15   ` Greg Troxel
From: Greg Troxel @ 2023-11-10 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Pirotte; +Cc: guile-user

Thank you all for the comments.  I will go ahead and delete the
guile-gtk package, and have queued myself a TODO to package g-golf.
I'll hold off on guile-gi for now, pending Mike's resurrection/redesign,
or if I start actually trying to write guile/gui code.