* Unicode procedure names
@ 2019-07-12 15:59 Tirifto
From: Tirifto @ 2019-07-12 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

Hello all!

I was recently looking into Perl 6 and noticed a very neat feature
about it: Unicode operators! That is, it makes use of some Unicode
symbols to offer alternatives to awkward or verbose ASCII notation.
For instance, ‘>=’ and ‘<=’ may just as well be written as ‘≥’ and
‘≤’, respectively. [1] And ‘∈’ checks whether an item is an element
of a list. [2] [3]

Now, I don't know if this is something you think would be nice to have
baked into Guile, but I really liked the idea, and thought to share it
in the case you would, too (and have't thought of it yet). :)

Regards
// Tirifto

1.
https://docs.perl6.org/language/operators#infix_%E2%89%A4
2.
https://docs.perl6.org/language/operators#infix_(elem),_infix_%E2%88%88
3.
And perhaps of other structures? Haven't ever delved into the language.

* Re: Unicode procedure names
@ 2019-07-15 21:14 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-07-15 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tirifto; +Cc: guile-devel

Tirifto <tirifto@posteo.cz> writes:

> I was recently looking into Perl 6 and noticed a very neat feature
> about it: Unicode operators! That is, it makes use of some Unicode
> symbols to offer alternatives to awkward or verbose ASCII notation.
> For instance, ‘>=’ and ‘<=’ may just as well be written as ‘≥’ and
> ‘≤’, respectively. [1] And ‘∈’ checks whether an item is an element
> of a list. [2] [3]

Neat.

> Now, I don't know if this is something you think would be nice to have
> baked into Guile, but I really liked the idea, and thought to share it
> in the case you would, too (and have't thought of it yet). :)

I think this could be implemented as a library of aliase and thus
wouldn’t need to have any privileged access to Guile itself.

--
Ricardo

* Re: Unicode procedure names
@ 2019-07-15 23:52   ` Arne Babenhauserheide
From: Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2019-07-15 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel; +Cc: Tirifto

> Tirifto <tirifto@posteo.cz> writes:
>
>> I was recently looking into Perl 6 and noticed a very neat feature
>> about it: Unicode operators! That is, it makes use of some Unicode
>> symbols to offer alternatives to awkward or verbose ASCII notation.
>> For instance, ‘>=’ and ‘<=’ may just as well be written as ‘≥’ and
>> ‘≤’, respectively. [1] And ‘∈’ checks whether an item is an element
>> of a list. [2] [3]
>
> Neat.
>
>> Now, I don't know if this is something you think would be nice to have
>> baked into Guile, but I really liked the idea, and thought to share it
>> in the case you would, too (and have't thought of it yet). :)
>
> I think this could be implemented as a library of aliase and thus
> wouldn’t need to have any privileged access to Guile itself.

All you need to do is

(define ≥ >=)

And you can use (≥ 2 1) — if you use SRFI-105 (#!curly-infix), then you
can also use it as {2 ≥ 1}.

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Unicode procedure names
@ 2019-07-16 12:41     ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-07-16 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arne Babenhauserheide; +Cc: Tirifto, guile-devel

Arne Babenhauserheide <arne_bab@web.de> writes:

>>> Now, I don't know if this is something you think would be nice to have
>>> baked into Guile, but I really liked the idea, and thought to share it
>>> in the case you would, too (and have't thought of it yet). :)
>>
>> I think this could be implemented as a library of aliase and thus
>> wouldn’t need to have any privileged access to Guile itself.
>
> All you need to do is
>
> (define ≥ >=)

Yes, that’s what I had in mind.  A whole bunch of these aliases could be
distributed as a tiny library.

--
Ricardo

* Re: Unicode procedure names
@ 2019-07-16 12:51       ` Hans Åberg
From: Hans Åberg @ 2019-07-16 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: Tirifto, Arne Babenhauserheide, guile-devel

>>> I think this could be implemented as a library of aliase and thus
>>> wouldn’t need to have any privileged access to Guile itself.
>>
>> All you need to do is
>>
>> (define ≥ >=)
>
> Yes, that’s what I had in mind.  A whole bunch of these aliases could be
> distributed as a tiny library.

I have used such symbols for math for some time now, and I think it helps readability.

The quickest input method that I have found, both to create and use, is text substitutions, like Emacs abbrevs, though I use a MacOS service.

* Re: Unicode procedure names
@ 2019-07-16 13:18         ` Arne Babenhauserheide
From: Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2019-07-16 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Åberg; +Cc: Tirifto, guile-devel

Hans Åberg <haberg-1@telia.com> writes:

>>> (define ≥ >=)

> I have used such symbols for math for some time now, and I think it helps readability.
>
> The quickest input method that I have found, both to create and use, is text substitutions, like Emacs abbrevs, though I use a MacOS service.

I’m using a variant of the neo-layout: https://neo-layout.org/

With that I can directly input many math and greek symbols (see "Ebene 6").

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Unicode procedure names
@ 2019-07-16 13:49           ` Hans Åberg
From: Hans Åberg @ 2019-07-16 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arne Babenhauserheide; +Cc: Tirifto, guile-devel

>> I have used such symbols for math for some time now, and I think it helps readability.
>>
>> The quickest input method that I have found, both to create and use, is text substitutions, like Emacs abbrevs, though I use a MacOS service.
>
> I’m using a variant of the neo-layout: https://neo-layout.org/
>
> With that I can directly input many math and greek symbols (see "Ebene 6”).

One must choose whatever input method one finds best. I made a shorthand which includes all the mathematical styled characters.