* landed r7rs support
@ 2019-11-17 14:44 Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2019-11-17 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

Hey all :)

Just a little heads-up that I just landed R7RS support.  Thanks to Göran
Weinholt for akku-scm (https://gitlab.com/akkuscm/akku-r7rs/) and
OKUMURA Yuki for yuni (https://github.com/okuoku/yuni), off of which
some of these files were based.  (These projects are public domain /
CC0).

The library syntax for R7RS is a subset of R6RS, so to use R7RS you just
(import (scheme base)) and off you go.  As with R6RS also, there are
some small lexical incompatibilities regarding hex escapes; see "R7RS
Incompatibilities" in the manual.  Also there is a --r7rs command-line
option.

Cheers,

Andy

* Re: landed r7rs support
@ 2019-11-17 15:52 ` Linus Björnstam
From: Linus Björnstam @ 2019-11-17 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

Wow! Great job!

The text about the standards process is probably going to annoy people since it does not mention the division between r7rs small and large :)

last time I checked, r7rs large was on path to become a much larger language than common lisp, and the goal the whole time was a large and a small language.
--
  Linus Björnstam

On Sun, 17 Nov 2019, at 15:44, Andy Wingo wrote:
> Hey all :)
>
> Just a little heads-up that I just landed R7RS support.  Thanks to Göran
> Weinholt for akku-scm (https://gitlab.com/akkuscm/akku-r7rs/) and
> OKUMURA Yuki for yuni (https://github.com/okuoku/yuni), off of which
> some of these files were based.  (These projects are public domain /
> CC0).
>
> The library syntax for R7RS is a subset of R6RS, so to use R7RS you just
> (import (scheme base)) and off you go.  As with R6RS also, there are
> some small lexical incompatibilities regarding hex escapes; see "R7RS
> Incompatibilities" in the manual.  Also there is a --r7rs command-line
> option.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Andy

* Re: landed r7rs support
@ 2019-11-17 17:36   ` Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2019-11-17 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Björnstam; +Cc: guile-devel

Hi,

On Sun 17 Nov 2019 16:52, Linus Björnstam <linus.bjornstam@veryfast.biz> writes:

> The text about the standards process is probably going to annoy people
> since it does not mention the division between r7rs small and large :)

I suppose that is fair, as I am annoyed by R7RS :)  However, the report
published in 2013 does bear the name R7RS and not R7RS-small, so it's
not an error to refer to it as such.  In any case, it does not seem to
me that R7RS-large is similar to the other reports in the RnRS series.
To me it is more similar in flavor to the SRFI process.

Andy

* Re: landed r7rs support
@ 2019-11-17 18:57     ` Arne Babenhauserheide
From: Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2019-11-17 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel; +Cc: Linus Björnstam

Andy Wingo <wingo@pobox.com> writes:

> not an error to refer to it as such.  In any case, it does not seem to
> me that R7RS-large is similar to the other reports in the RnRS series.
> To me it is more similar in flavor to the SRFI process.

R7RS-large seems to me like an effort to build a foundation for mobility
between Schemes. An effort to build a higher level of consistency and
uniformity than what we have in SRFIs, so the system as a whole stays
easier to understand, but with a similar scope as SRFIs, so you can more
easily write substantial applications without resorting to
implementation specific libraries.

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: landed r7rs support
@ 2019-11-18 12:43 ` Mikael Djurfeldt
From: Mikael Djurfeldt @ 2019-11-18 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Wingo; +Cc: guile-devel

Wonderful!

Then I guess the texts in sections 9.1.5 and 9.4.7 in the manual should be
updated? I would have submitted a patch if I knew better how to reformulate.

Best regards,
Mikael

On Sun, Nov 17, 2019 at 3:45 PM Andy Wingo <wingo@pobox.com> wrote:

> Hey all :)
>
> Just a little heads-up that I just landed R7RS support.  Thanks to Göran
> Weinholt for akku-scm (https://gitlab.com/akkuscm/akku-r7rs/) and
> OKUMURA Yuki for yuni (https://github.com/okuoku/yuni), off of which
> some of these files were based.  (These projects are public domain /
> CC0).
>
> The library syntax for R7RS is a subset of R6RS, so to use R7RS you just
> (import (scheme base)) and off you go.  As with R6RS also, there are
> some small lexical incompatibilities regarding hex escapes; see "R7RS
> Incompatibilities" in the manual.  Also there is a --r7rs command-line
> option.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Andy

* Re: landed r7rs support
@ 2019-11-18 17:05   ` Amirouche Boubekki
From: Amirouche Boubekki @ 2019-11-18 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mikael Djurfeldt; +Cc: Andy Wingo, guile-devel

Le lun. 18 nov. 2019 à 13:43, Mikael Djurfeldt <mikael@djurfeldt.com> a écrit :

> Wonderful!

+1

link: https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/guile.html#Status

> and 9.4.7

link: https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/guile.html#Extending-the-Compiler

In that section, maybe add a note about a web assembly backend?

--
Amirouche ~ https://hyper.dev

* Re: landed r7rs support
@ 2019-11-22 16:00     ` Nala Ginrut
From: Nala Ginrut @ 2019-11-22 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amirouche Boubekki; +Cc: Andy Wingo, guile-devel

On Tue, Nov 19, 2019, 03:34 Amirouche Boubekki <amirouche.boubekki@gmail.com>
wrote;

> link:
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/guile.html#Extending-the-Compiler
>
> In that section, maybe add a note about a web assembly backend?

+1
In the past decade, we've gotten some experiences about compiler frontend
around the Guile community. However, Guile is so powerful that we can also
add backend in a elegant way. It's better to mention it explicitly, and
it's deserved to have more information jn the manual.

Best regards.

* Re: landed r7rs support
@ 2019-12-27  8:53   ` Amirouche Boubekki
From: Amirouche Boubekki @ 2019-12-27  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Wingo; +Cc: guile-devel

Le lun. 18 nov. 2019 à 12:43, Mikael Djurfeldt <mikael@djurfeldt.com> a écrit :

> On Sun, Nov 17, 2019 at 3:45 PM Andy Wingo <wingo@pobox.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hey all :)
>>
>> The library syntax for R7RS is a subset of R6RS, so to use R7RS you just
>> (import (scheme base)) and off you go.  As with R6RS also, there are
>> some small lexical incompatibilities regarding hex escapes; see "R7RS
>> Incompatibilities" in the manual.  Also there is a --r7rs command-line
>> option.

I do not think the library syntax for R7RS is a _subset_ of R6RS.  For
one, it rely
on `define-library` instead of `library`.

For anyone trying to write (and benchmark!) code across scheme implementations,
you will have some luck with -x options:

  -x EXTENSION   add EXTENSION to the front of the load extensions

You can call guile with:

  guile -x .guille.scm ...

And use .guile.scm as an extension for guile specific files.

Also, in R6RS library form, the form `import` is not defined that is
you can not do:

(library (mylib)
  (export myfunc)
  (import (scheme base)) ...)

ref: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=38760

* Re: landed r7rs support
@ 2020-01-06 20:51       ` Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2020-01-06 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nala Ginrut; +Cc: Amirouche Boubekki, guile-devel

On Fri 22 Nov 2019 17:00, Nala Ginrut <nalaginrut@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Nov 19, 2019, 03:34 Amirouche Boubekki <amirouche.boubekki@gmail.com> wrote;
>
>  link: https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/guile.html#Extending-the-Compiler
>
>  In that section, maybe add a note about a web assembly backend?
>
> +1
> In the past decade, we've gotten some experiences about compiler frontend around the Guile community. However, Guile is so powerful that we can also add backend in a elegant way. It's
> better to mention it explicitly, and it's deserved to have more information jn the manual.

Done :)

Cheers,

Andy