all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Fedora 40 emacs clipboard appending
@ 2024-04-26 18:17 Ken Goldman
From: Ken Goldman @ 2024-04-26 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

My environment is emacs on Fedora 40 in a VNC window, the vnc client is
Windows 11.

When I copy-region-as-kill, it appends to the clipboard vnc uses, so
paste in Windows gets a long history.

All works for windows other than emacs, and it only fails when I paste
to Windows.

I know that there are many Linux and emacs clipboards, and something
changed with Fedora 40.

Any hints?

* Re: Fedora 40 emacs clipboard appending
@ 2024-04-27  0:27 ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2024-04-27  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Goldman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Ken Goldman <kgoldman@us.ibm.com> writes:

> My environment is emacs on Fedora 40 in a VNC window, the vnc client
> is Windows 11.
>
> When I copy-region-as-kill, it appends to the clipboard vnc uses, so
> paste in Windows gets a long history.
>
> All works for windows other than emacs, and it only fails when I paste
> to Windows.
>
> I know that there are many Linux and emacs clipboards, and something
> changed with Fedora 40.
>
> Any hints?

Fedora moved to installing the PGTK configuration of Emacs by default,
which isn't designed for X servers, of which your VNC server probably is
one.  You should either reinstall a different package (emacs-x11?) or
build Emacs from source.

* Re: Fedora 40 emacs clipboard appending
@ 2024-04-28 20:56   ` Neal Becker
From: Neal Becker @ 2024-04-28 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Po Lu wrote:

> Ken Goldman <kgoldman@us.ibm.com> writes:
>
>> My environment is emacs on Fedora 40 in a VNC window, the vnc client
>> is Windows 11.
>>
>> When I copy-region-as-kill, it appends to the clipboard vnc uses, so
>> paste in Windows gets a long history.
>>
>> All works for windows other than emacs, and it only fails when I paste
>> to Windows.
>>
>> I know that there are many Linux and emacs clipboards, and something
>> changed with Fedora 40.
>>
>> Any hints?
>
> Fedora moved to installing the PGTK configuration of Emacs by default,
> which isn't designed for X servers, of which your VNC server probably is
> one.  You should either reinstall a different package (emacs-x11?) or
> build Emacs from source.
rpm -qa emacs*
emacs-filesystem-29.3-5.fc40.noarch
emacs-gtk+x11-29.3-5.fc40.x86_64 <<< This one
emacs-common-29.3-5.fc40.x86_64
emacs-29.3-5.fc40.x86_64

* Re: Fedora 40 emacs clipboard appending
@ 2024-04-29  7:03     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-04-29  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 16:56:22 -0400
>
> Po Lu wrote:
>
> > Ken Goldman <kgoldman@us.ibm.com> writes:
> >
> >> My environment is emacs on Fedora 40 in a VNC window, the vnc client
> >> is Windows 11.
> >>
> >> When I copy-region-as-kill, it appends to the clipboard vnc uses, so
> >> paste in Windows gets a long history.
> >>
> >> All works for windows other than emacs, and it only fails when I paste
> >> to Windows.
> >>
> >> I know that there are many Linux and emacs clipboards, and something
> >> changed with Fedora 40.
> >>
> >> Any hints?
> >
> > Fedora moved to installing the PGTK configuration of Emacs by default,
> > which isn't designed for X servers, of which your VNC server probably is
> > one.  You should either reinstall a different package (emacs-x11?) or
> > build Emacs from source.
> rpm -qa emacs*
> emacs-filesystem-29.3-5.fc40.noarch
> emacs-gtk+x11-29.3-5.fc40.x86_64 <<< This one
> emacs-common-29.3-5.fc40.x86_64
> emacs-29.3-5.fc40.x86_64

Are you sure the OP has the same version installed?

In any case, try to see what happens when you call kill-new instead of
copy-region-as-kill: if kill-new sets the clipboard instead of
appending, then the problem is that somehow Emacs thinks the previous
command was also kill-region.  If kill-new also appends, then I
suggest to step with Edebug through kill-new and see what's going on
there.  Perhaps there's some customization which causes this, or maybe
interprogram-cut-function does something unusual in this case.