all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* frame placement
@ 2022-11-30 17:57 Madhu
From: Madhu @ 2022-11-30 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

A long running emacs (Xt toolkit) has now taken to positioning new
frames at 0x0 regardless of what the windowmanager wants.
xprop on the new frames show

``
WM_NORMAL_HINTS(WM_SIZE_HINTS):
		user specified location: 0, 0
		user specified size: 838 by 750
``

I'm wondering how this got set. there is nothing in the *-frame-list
which is doing this, xrdb -query -all is blank I can't see anything in
via x-get-resource, I can create fresh frames with user-position
parameters but I want the default to go back to window manager
placement (like it does in a fresh emacs)

Any clues would help.

--- Madhu

* Re: frame placement
@ 2022-11-30 20:16 ` Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-11-30 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> A long running emacs (Xt toolkit) has now taken to positioning new
> frames at 0x0 regardless of what the windowmanager wants.
> xprop on the new frames show
>
> ``
> WM_NORMAL_HINTS(WM_SIZE_HINTS):
> 		user specified location: 0, 0
> 		user specified size: 838 by 750
> ``
>
> I'm wondering how this got set. there is nothing in the *-frame-list

Do you mean things like `default-frame-alist`?

> which is doing this, xrdb -query -all is blank I can't see anything in
> via x-get-resource, I can create fresh frames with user-position
> parameters but I want the default to go back to window manager
> placement (like it does in a fresh emacs)
>
> Any clues would help.

I'd try `M-x trace-function RET make-frame RET` or maybe
`M-x trace-function RET x-create-frame RET`

If the args passed to those functions "explain" the problem,
then `M-x debug-on-entry RET x-create-frame RET` would be my next step
(but make sure that bringing up the debugger doesn't need to create
a new frame ;-)