all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* symbol `keymap' in a keymap
@ 2023-09-13 12:48 Shynur Xie
From: Shynur Xie @ 2023-09-13 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

The elisp manual says (23.3 Format of Keymaps):

  """
  A symbol whose function definition is a keymap is also a keymap.
  """

and

  """
  Several kinds of elements may appear in a keymap, after the
  symbol keymap that begins it:
  (type . binding) ...
  (type item-name . binding) ...
  """

It doesn't list _symbol_.

I noticed that the value of `lisp-mode-map' is

  (keymap
   (menu-bar ...)
   keymap  ; <-
   ...)

According to the first quote, I thought the 2nd `keymap' is a keymap,
so I tried

  (symbol-function 'keymap)

but the result is `nil', which means it's not a keymap.

This section of the manual seems to have omitted something?

* Re: symbol `keymap' in a keymap
@ 2023-09-15  2:24 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2023-09-15  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shynur Xie; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Shynur Xie <one.last.kiss@outlook.com> writes:

> I noticed that the value of `lisp-mode-map' is
>
>   (keymap
>    (menu-bar ...)
>    keymap  ; <-
>    ...)
>
> According to the first quote, I thought the 2nd `keymap' is a keymap,
> so I tried
>
>   (symbol-function 'keymap)
>
> but the result is `nil', which means it's not a keymap.

No, that's the wrong direction to search for an answer.

You see the above when a keymap has a parent keymap - see
(info "(elisp) Inheritance and Keymaps").

Michael.