all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Hercules.el vs hydra for Emacs shortkey bindings managemant.
@ 2021-07-28  7:43 Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-07-28  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hercules.el vs hydra for Emacs shortkey bindings managemant.

Hydra [1] is a famous short binding workflow managemant package for Emacs.
OTOH, I also noticed the following wonderful Emacs package,
hercules.el [2], which says that it's an auto-magical, which-key based
hydra banisher. And according to the instructions given on the
author's gitlab website, it seems that this is really a wonderful
work.

Has anyone had any personal experience and comparison of the use of
these two packages? Can you share your experience here?

[1] https://github.com/abo-abo/hydra
[2] https://gitlab.com/jjzmajic/hercules.el

Regards
Theory and Simulation of Materials
No. 473, Quannan West Street, Xindu District, Xingtai, Hebei province

* Re: Hercules.el vs hydra for Emacs shortkey bindings managemant.
@ 2021-08-01  1:40 ` Ergus via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Ergus via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-08-01  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs, Hongyi Zhao, help-gnu-emacs

Maybe this is not what you want. But emacs 28 adds a third alternative with a simpler approach: repeat-mode. It is not for people who want a complex hydra experience and many fancy options.
But for the basic functionality it works, is simpler to configure and much faster. Customization is also simpler and pretty clear. And less intrusive showing the bindings.

Sadly Hercules and hydra seems low maintained these days. That's why I removed both from my config recently.

@ 2021-08-01  2:17   ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-08-01  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ergus; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, Aug 1, 2021 at 9:40 AM Ergus <spacibba@aol.com> wrote:

> Maybe this is not what you want. But emacs 28 adds a third alternative with a simpler approach: repeat-mode. It is not for people who want a complex hydra experience and many fancy options.
> But for the basic functionality it works, is simpler to configure and much faster. Customization is also simpler and pretty clear. And less intrusive showing the bindings.

Do you mean this:
https://github.com/emacs-mirror/emacs/blob/master/lisp/repeat.el

> Sadly Hercules and hydra seems low maintained these days. That's why I removed both from my config recently.

According to the number of downloads on melpa, hydra is still widely used [1].

[1] https://melpa.org/#/?q=hydra&sort=downloads&asc=false

Hongyi

* Re: Hercules.el vs hydra for Emacs shortkey bindings managemant.
@ 2021-08-01 14:32   ` Arthur Miller
From: Arthur Miller @ 2021-08-01 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ergus via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor; +Cc: Ergus, Hongyi Zhao

<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> Maybe this is not what you want. But emacs 28 adds a third alternative with a
> simpler approach: repeat-mode. It is not for people who want a complex hydra
> experience and many fancy options.
> But for the basic functionality it works, is simpler to configure and much
> faster. Customization is also simpler and pretty clear. And less intrusive
> showing the bindings.
>
> Sadly Hercules and hydra seems low maintained these days. That's why I removed both from my config recently.

It is just one year old, is there much to mainatain? :)

Never heard of hercules.el before, thank to both for pointing it out.

* Re: Hercules.el vs hydra for Emacs shortkey bindings managemant.
@ 2021-08-01 14:44     ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-08-01 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arthur Miller; +Cc: Ergus via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor, Ergus

On Sun, Aug 1, 2021 at 10:32 PM Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> wrote:

> Ergus via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
> <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > Maybe this is not what you want. But emacs 28 adds a third alternative with a
> > simpler approach: repeat-mode. It is not for people who want a complex hydra
> > experience and many fancy options.
> > But for the basic functionality it works, is simpler to configure and much
> > faster. Customization is also simpler and pretty clear. And less intrusive
> > showing the bindings.
> >
> > Sadly Hercules and hydra seems low maintained these days. That's why I removed both from my config recently.
>
> It is just one year old, is there much to mainatain? :)
>
> Never heard of hercules.el before, thank to both for pointing it out.

It seems, and I've learned, that hercules.el is abandoned by its author.

@ 2021-08-01 19:56     ` Ergus
From: Ergus @ 2021-08-01 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hongyi Zhao; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On August 1, 2021 4:17:50 AM GMT+02:00, Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Sun, Aug 1, 2021 at 9:40 AM Ergus <spacibba@aol.com> wrote:
>>
>> Maybe this is not what you want. But emacs 28 adds a third alternative with a simpler approach: repeat-mode. It is not for people who want a complex hydra experience and many fancy options.
>> But for the basic functionality it works, is simpler to configure and much faster. Customization is also simpler and pretty clear. And less intrusive showing the bindings.
>
>Do you mean this:
>https://github.com/emacs-mirror/emacs/blob/master/lisp/repeat.el

Yes. That's what substituted hydra in my setup. It is not so pretty but is faster.

>> Sadly Hercules and hydra seems low maintained these days. That's why I removed both from my config recently.
>
>According to the number of downloads on melpa, hydra is still widely used [1].

Indeed, but it is receiving updates very rarely and the issues reports are accumulating without reply. Sadly it seems like Abo-abo is too busy because the same is happening to ivy, avy and swipper.