all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#65884: 29.1; prettify-symbols-unprettify-at-point documentation
@ 2023-09-12  4:20 Peter Mao
From: Peter Mao @ 2023-09-12  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 65884

I just learned about prettify-symbols mode and
prettify-symbols-unprettify-at-point from Tony Zorman's recent blog post,
so I tried it out, unsuccessfully at first...

Recipe from emacs -Q:

In the *scratch* buffer:
M-x prettify-symbols-mode
(setq prettify-symbols-unprettify-at-point t)
C-x C-e ;; to evaluate the setq
lambda  ;; the symbol λ appears
C-b

At this point, I'm expecting the symbol λ to deprettify back to
"lambda", but it does not.

Looking in the code in prog-mode.el, I see that the unprettification
needs to be set **before** the minor mode is activated in the buffer.
Perhaps this should be pointed out in the documentation?

* bug#65884: 29.1; prettify-symbols-unprettify-at-point documentation
@ 2023-09-13 20:45 ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2023-09-13 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Mao; +Cc: 65884-done

Version: 29.2

Peter Mao <peter.mao@gmail.com> writes:

> I just learned about prettify-symbols mode and prettify-symbols-unprettify-at-point from Tony Zorman's recent blog post, so I tried it out, unsuccessfully
> at first...
>
> Recipe from emacs -Q:
>
> In the *scratch* buffer:
> M-x prettify-symbols-mode
> (setq prettify-symbols-unprettify-at-point t)
> C-x C-e ;; to evaluate the setq
> lambda  ;; the symbol λ appears
> C-b
>
> At this point, I'm expecting the symbol λ to deprettify back to
> "lambda", but it does not.
>
> Looking in the code in prog-mode.el, I see that the unprettification
> needs to be set **before** the minor mode is activated in the buffer.
> Perhaps this should be pointed out in the documentation?

Thanks, I've now documented this on emacs-29.

* bug#65884: 29.1; prettify-symbols-unprettify-at-point documentation
@ 2023-09-14  5:46   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-09-14  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas; +Cc: peter.mao, 65884

> Cc: 65884-done@debbugs.gnu.org
> From: Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 13:45:47 -0700
>
> Version: 29.2
>
> Peter Mao <peter.mao@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I just learned about prettify-symbols mode and prettify-symbols-unprettify-at-point from Tony Zorman's recent blog post, so I tried it out, unsuccessfully
> > at first...
> >
> > Recipe from emacs -Q:
> >
> > In the *scratch* buffer:
> > M-x prettify-symbols-mode
> > (setq prettify-symbols-unprettify-at-point t)
> > C-x C-e ;; to evaluate the setq
> > lambda  ;; the symbol λ appears
> > C-b
> >
> > At this point, I'm expecting the symbol λ to deprettify back to
> > "lambda", but it does not.
> >
> > Looking in the code in prog-mode.el, I see that the unprettification
> > needs to be set **before** the minor mode is activated in the buffer.
> > Perhaps this should be pointed out in the documentation?
>
> Thanks, I've now documented this on emacs-29.

Did you forget to push?

* bug#65884: 29.1; prettify-symbols-unprettify-at-point documentation
@ 2023-09-14  6:04     ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2023-09-14  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: peter.mao, 65884

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes: