I just learned about prettify-symbols mode and prettify-symbols-unprettify-at-point from Tony Zorman's recent blog post, so I tried it out, unsuccessfully at first... Recipe from emacs -Q: In the *scratch* buffer: M-x prettify-symbols-mode (setq prettify-symbols-unprettify-at-point t) C-x C-e ;; to evaluate the setq lambda ;; the symbol λ appears C-b At this point, I'm expecting the symbol λ to deprettify back to "lambda", but it does not. Looking in the code in prog-mode.el, I see that the unprettification needs to be set **before** the minor mode is activated in the buffer. Perhaps this should be pointed out in the documentation?