all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs Under X: <print>
@ 2023-02-10 17:00 T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2023-02-10 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On my laptop running X and stumpwm ie none of the Gnome magic loaded:

The  second key to the right of the spacebar delivers <print> to
Emacs.

I'd like to change this to Super_L  modifier if possible; is there
some way of figuring out the keycode it delivers from the emacs side?
Note; the "obvious" X answer, use xev wont work for me since I cannot
see ...

♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮

♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮

* Re: Emacs Under X: <print>
@ 2023-02-10 22:27 ` Vinicius Latorre
From: Vinicius Latorre @ 2023-02-10 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

Maybe type *C-h k* and then type the key you wish to use, Emacs will
display the key name and whatever is associated with this key.

On Fri, Feb 10, 2023 at 2:02 PM T.V Raman <raman@google.com> wrote:

> On my laptop running X and stumpwm ie none of the Gnome magic loaded:
>
> The  second key to the right of the spacebar delivers <print> to
> Emacs.
>
> I'd like to change this to Super_L  modifier if possible; is there
> some way of figuring out the keycode it delivers from the emacs side?
> Note; the "obvious" X answer, use xev wont work for me since I cannot
> see ...
>

> --
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Raman(I Search, I Find, I Misplace, I Research)
> ♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮
>
> --
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Raman(I Search, I Find, I Misplace, I Research)
> ♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮

* Re: Emacs Under X: <print>
@ 2023-02-11  2:09 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2023-02-11  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

> On my laptop running X and stumpwm ie none of the Gnome magic loaded:
>
> The  second key to the right of the spacebar delivers <print> to
> Emacs.

No idea how to do this with Emacs alone.

But when I run xev from *shell*, type <print> and then close the xev X
window with my normal key binding for closing X windows (which
terminates xev), the two <print> key events (press and release) are the
second and third last listed in the output and displayed near the end of
the *shell* buffer (starting with around line 24 before the end of the
buffer).  I guess that could be doable without seeing?  The xev window
gets input focus automatically here, so it starts interpreting and
recording you key events directly after starting the command in *shell*.

Michael.

* Re: Emacs Under X: <print>
@ 2023-02-11  2:49   ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2023-02-11  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vinicius Latorre; +Cc: emacs-devel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=gb18030, Size: 1277 bytes --]

Vinicius Latorre <viniciusjl.gnu@gmail.com> writes:

That's what shows the <print> :-)

The answer to my problem was to use xmodmap -pk | grep -i print.

Dont know where the angle-brackets in <print> come from which is what
tripped up my original attempt at solving the question which in its
turned initited the question.
> Maybe type C-h k and then type the key you wish to use, Emacs will display the key name and whatever is
> associated with this key.
>
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2023 at 2:02 PM T.V Raman <raman@google.com> wrote:
>
>  On my laptop running X and stumpwm ie none of the Gnome magic loaded:
>
>  The  second key to the right of the spacebar delivers <print> to
>  Emacs.
>
>  I'd like to change this to Super_L  modifier if possible; is there
>  some way of figuring out the keycode it delivers from the emacs side?
>  Note; the "obvious" X answer, use xev wont work for me since I cannot
>  see ...
>
>  --
>
>  Thanks,
>
>  --Raman(I Search, I Find, I Misplace, I Research)
>  7©4 Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  •0Ü8
>
>  --
>
>  Thanks,
>
>  --Raman(I Search, I Find, I Misplace, I Research)
>  7©4 Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  •0Ü8

7©4 Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  •0Ü8

* Re: Emacs Under X: <print>
@ 2023-02-11 22:14     ` Vinicius Latorre
From: Vinicius Latorre @ 2023-02-11 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

Have you tried the settings below?

(global-set-key [print]       'one-function-to-print)
(global-set-key [C-print]     'other-function-to-print)
(global-set-key [C-M-print]   'another-function-to-print)

In my laptop:

   - [print] is the PrtScr key
   - [C-print] is the Control+PrtScr combination
   - [C-M-print] is the Control+Alt+PrtScr combination

On Fri, Feb 10, 2023 at 11:49 PM T.V Raman <raman@google.com> wrote:

> Vinicius Latorre <viniciusjl.gnu@gmail.com> writes:
>

> That's what shows the <print> :-)
>
> The answer to my problem was to use xmodmap -pk | grep -i print.
>
> Dont know where the angle-brackets in <print> come from which is what
> tripped up my original attempt at solving the question which in its
> turned initited the question.
> > Maybe type C-h k and then type the key you wish to use, Emacs will
> display the key name and whatever is
> > associated with this key.
> >
> > On Fri, Feb 10, 2023 at 2:02 PM T.V Raman <raman@google.com> wrote:
> >
> >  On my laptop running X and stumpwm ie none of the Gnome magic loaded:
> >
> >  The  second key to the right of the spacebar delivers <print> to
> >  Emacs.
> >
> >  I'd like to change this to Super_L  modifier if possible; is there
> >  some way of figuring out the keycode it delivers from the emacs side?
> >  Note; the "obvious" X answer, use xev wont work for me since I cannot
> >  see ...
> >
> >  --
> >
> >  Thanks,
> >
> >  --Raman(I Search, I Find, I Misplace, I Research)
> >  ♈ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮
> >
> >  --
> >
> >  Thanks,
> >
> >  --Raman(I Search, I Find, I Misplace, I Research)
> >  ♈ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮
> >

> --
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Raman(I Search, I Find, I Misplace, I Research)
> ♈ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮

* Re: Emacs Under X: <print>
@ 2023-02-11 22:18       ` Vinicius Latorre
From: Vinicius Latorre @ 2023-02-11 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

Using C-h k:

   - PrtScr is shown as <print>
   - Control+PrtScr is shown as C-<print>
   - Control+Alt+PrtScr is shown as C-M-<print>

On Sat, Feb 11, 2023 at 7:14 PM Vinicius Latorre <viniciusjl.gnu@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Have you tried the settings below?
>
> (global-set-key [print]       'one-function-to-print)
> (global-set-key [C-print]     'other-function-to-print)
> (global-set-key [C-M-print]   'another-function-to-print)
>
> In my laptop:
>
>    - [print] is the PrtScr key
>    - [C-print] is the Control+PrtScr combination
>    - [C-M-print] is the Control+Alt+PrtScr combination
>

> On Fri, Feb 10, 2023 at 11:49 PM T.V Raman <raman@google.com> wrote:
>
>> Vinicius Latorre <viniciusjl.gnu@gmail.com> writes:
>>

>> That's what shows the <print> :-)
>>
>> The answer to my problem was to use xmodmap -pk | grep -i print.
>>
>> Dont know where the angle-brackets in <print> come from which is what
>> tripped up my original attempt at solving the question which in its
>> turned initited the question.
>> > Maybe type C-h k and then type the key you wish to use, Emacs will
>> display the key name and whatever is
>> > associated with this key.
>> >
>> > On Fri, Feb 10, 2023 at 2:02 PM T.V Raman <raman@google.com> wrote:
>> >
>> >  On my laptop running X and stumpwm ie none of the Gnome magic loaded:
>> >
>> >  The  second key to the right of the spacebar delivers <print> to
>> >  Emacs.
>> >
>> >  I'd like to change this to Super_L  modifier if possible; is there
>> >  some way of figuring out the keycode it delivers from the emacs side?
>> >  Note; the "obvious" X answer, use xev wont work for me since I cannot
>> >  see ...
>> >
>> >  --
>> >
>> >  Thanks,
>> >
>> >  --Raman(I Search, I Find, I Misplace, I Research)
>> >  ♈ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮
>> >
>> >  --
>> >
>> >  Thanks,
>> >
>> >  --Raman(I Search, I Find, I Misplace, I Research)
>> >  ♈ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮
>> >

>> --
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> --Raman(I Search, I Find, I Misplace, I Research)
>> ♈ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮

* Re: Emacs Under X: <print>
@ 2023-02-11 22:31         ` Vinicius Latorre
From: Vinicius Latorre @ 2023-02-11 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

BTW, my settings are very old, use keymap-global-set instead of
global-set-key, and use keymap-local-set instead of local-set-key.

See also the documentation of key-valid-p, probably you could use "<print>"
instead of [print].

* Re: Emacs Under X: <print>
@ 2023-02-13 11:58           ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2023-02-13 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vinicius Latorre; +Cc: T.V Raman, emacs-devel

    Vinicius> BTW, my settings are very old, use keymap-global-set instead of
    Vinicius> global-set-key, and use keymap-local-set instead of local-set-key.

    Vinicius> See also the documentation of key-valid-p, probably you could use "<print>"
    Vinicius> instead of [print].

Not just could, but should, with keymap-global-set:

    (kbd "<print>")

is "the function key 'printʼ"

    (kbd "[print]")

is "the vector of characters 'print'"