all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* mode-line icon for encrypted file
@ 2024-05-03 11:31 Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2024-05-03 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have noticed an icon appearing on the mode-line whenever I select an
encrypted file ending in .gpg. The icon looks like a sort of dot or
perhaps an eye. Anyway, for me it's unnecessary junk and I don't want
it. How do I remove it, or at least ensure it doesn't appear.

Thank you.

Colin Baxter.

* Re: mode-line icon for encrypted file
@ 2024-05-03 11:51 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-05-03 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com>
> Date: Fri, 03 May 2024 12:31:45 +0100
>

> I have noticed an icon appearing on the mode-line whenever I select an
> encrypted file ending in .gpg. The icon looks like a sort of dot or
> perhaps an eye. Anyway, for me it's unnecessary junk and I don't want
> it. How do I remove it, or at least ensure it doesn't appear.

I cannot reproduce the problem: I see nothing special on the mode-line
when visiting an encrypted file.

Are you seeing this in "emacs -Q"?

* Re: mode-line icon for encrypted file
@ 2024-05-03 16:06 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2024-05-03 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin Baxter; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:

Hi Colin,

> I have noticed an icon appearing on the mode-line whenever I select an
> encrypted file ending in .gpg. The icon looks like a sort of dot or
> perhaps an eye. Anyway, for me it's unnecessary junk and I don't want
> it. How do I remove it, or at least ensure it doesn't appear.

Likely, this is the mode-line indication when Emacs reads a password in
the minibuffer. From etc/NEWS:

** 'read-passwd' can toggle the visibility of passwords.
Use 'TAB' in the minibuffer to show or hide the password.  Likewise,
there is an icon on the mode-line, which toggles the visibility of the
password when clicking with 'mouse-1'.

Can you confirm that this icon appears only while reading a password?

> Thank you.
>
> Colin Baxter.

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: mode-line icon for encrypted file
@ 2024-05-03 20:18   ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2024-05-03 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

    >> From: Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> Date: Fri, 03 May 2024
    >> 12:31:45 +0100
    >>

    >> I have noticed an icon appearing on the mode-line whenever I
    >> select an encrypted file ending in .gpg. The icon looks like a
    >> sort of dot or perhaps an eye. Anyway, for me it's unnecessary
    >> junk and I don't want it. How do I remove it, or at least ensure
    >> it doesn't appear.

    > I cannot reproduce the problem: I see nothing special on the
    > mode-line when visiting an encrypted file.

    > Are you seeing this in "emacs -Q"?

Yes. It appears in emacs-30.50.0 but not emacs-29.3. And also it appears
for symmetric and non-symmetric encryption. I am using gpg-2.2.18.

I have attached two screenshots.

A. screenshot-emacs-30.50.0.png
===============================
The icon is visible to the left of the 'U' in the mode-line
The icon disappears after the password is entered.

B. screenshot-emacs-29.3.png
============================
No icon visible.

Colin.

[-- Attachment #2: screenshot-emacs-30.0.50.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 31475 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: screenshot-emacs-29.3.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 30659 bytes --]

* Re: mode-line icon for encrypted file
@ 2024-05-03 20:24   ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2024-05-03 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

    > Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes: Hi Colin,

    >> I have noticed an icon appearing on the mode-line whenever I
    >> select an encrypted file ending in .gpg. The icon looks like a
    >> sort of dot or perhaps an eye. Anyway, for me it's unnecessary
    >> junk and I don't want it. How do I remove it, or at least ensure
    >> it doesn't appear.

    > Likely, this is the mode-line indication when Emacs reads a
    > password in the minibuffer. From etc/NEWS:

    > ** 'read-passwd' can toggle the visibility of passwords.  Use
    > 'TAB' in the minibuffer to show or hide the password.  Likewise,
    > there is an icon on the mode-line, which toggles the visibility of
    > the password when clicking with 'mouse-1'.

    > Can you confirm that this icon appears only while reading a
    > password?

Yes.

I should have read etc/NEWS first. Is there anyway of ensuring the icon
is not displayed. I don't really seen the point of it.

I'm afraid I replied to Eli before you with a couple of now superfluous
screenshots!

Best wishes,

Colin.

* Re: mode-line icon for encrypted file
@ 2024-05-04  6:23     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-05-04  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 03 May 2024 21:18:37 +0100

>     > I cannot reproduce the problem: I see nothing special on the
>     > mode-line when visiting an encrypted file.
>
>     > Are you seeing this in "emacs -Q"?
>
> Yes. It appears in emacs-30.50.0 but not emacs-29.3. And also it appears
> for symmetric and non-symmetric encryption. I am using gpg-2.2.18.

It sounds like this depends on how gpg prompts for the pass phrase.
On my system, it pops up a GUI dialog, but on yours it prompts via
Emacs, and that's why the icon appears in your case.

* Re: mode-line icon for encrypted file
@ 2024-05-04  7:00       ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2024-05-04  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

    >> From: Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
    >> Date: Fri, 03 May 2024 21:18:37 +0100

    >> > I cannot reproduce the problem: I see nothing special on the >
    >> mode-line when visiting an encrypted file.
    >>
    >> > Are you seeing this in "emacs -Q"?
    >>
    >> Yes. It appears in emacs-30.50.0 but not emacs-29.3. And also it
    >> appears for symmetric and non-symmetric encryption. I am using
    >> gpg-2.2.18.

    > It sounds like this depends on how gpg prompts for the pass
    > phrase.  On my system, it pops up a GUI dialog, but on yours it
    > prompts via Emacs, and that's why the icon appears in your case.

That makes sense. I have pinentry-mode set to loopback since I don't
like the popup password box and prefer everything in emacs. If it's a
choice between a popup box and a mode-line icon then I'll stick with the
latter.

Colin.

* Re: mode-line icon for encrypted file
@ 2024-05-04  8:05     ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2024-05-04  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin Baxter; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:

Hi Colin,

> Is there anyway of ensuring the icon is not displayed. I don't really
> seen the point of it.

If you move the cursor over the icon in the mode-line you'll see the
point: toggling password visibility.

Almost all graphical applications, which offer to enter a hidden
password, present this kind of icon. I don't know of any application
which allows to configure this icon presence. So I don't believe we
should configure this in Emacs; the icon simply doesn't hurt.

If you really hate the icon, you could add the following to your .emacs:

(with-eval-after-load 'auth-source
  (setcar (cdr (iconp 'read-passwd--show-password-icon)) '((text "")))
  (setcar (cdr (iconp 'read-passwd--hide-password-icon)) '((text ""))))

> Best wishes,
>
> Colin.

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: mode-line icon for encrypted file
@ 2024-05-04  8:06         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-05-04  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 04 May 2024 08:00:45 +0100

>     > It sounds like this depends on how gpg prompts for the pass
>     > phrase.  On my system, it pops up a GUI dialog, but on yours it
>     > prompts via Emacs, and that's why the icon appears in your case.
>
> That makes sense. I have pinentry-mode set to loopback since I don't
> like the popup password box and prefer everything in emacs. If it's a
> choice between a popup box and a mode-line icon then I'll stick with the
> latter.

I believe the icon is there to allow the user to display the password.
That capability is a standard part of modern UIs for entering
passwords and pass phrases, so I think it is a Good Thing that Emacs
provides that.  I won't object to be able to optionally disable it,
but I don't expect many people to want that, as it is easy to make a
typing mistake, what with today's stringent rules for "valid"
passwords, and making a mistake more than a couple of times could lock
the user out of whatever they want to unlock/decrypt.

* Re: mode-line icon for encrypted file
@ 2024-05-04  9:51           ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2024-05-04  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

    >> From: Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
    >> Date: Sat, 04 May 2024 08:00:45 +0100

    > I believe the icon is there to allow the user to display the
    > password.  That capability is a standard part of modern UIs for
    > entering passwords and pass phrases, so I think it is a Good Thing
    > that Emacs provides that.  I won't object to be able to optionally
    > disable it, but I don't expect many people to want that, as it is
    > easy to make a typing mistake, what with today's stringent rules
    > for "valid" passwords, and making a mistake more than a couple of
    > times could lock the user out of whatever they want to
    > unlock/decrypt.

I have discovered I can't access that advantage of the icon. If I launch
emacs with -Q then putting the point over the icon and clicking does
indeed display the password en clair. However this is not the case when
I use my ~/.emacs. Then I get the error:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Can't expand minibuffer to full frame")
  (signal error ("Can't expand minibuffer to full frame"))
  (error "Can't expand minibuffer to full frame")

I don't yet know what is causing this error.

Colin.

* Re: mode-line icon for encrypted file
@ 2024-05-04 16:44             ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2024-05-04 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin Baxter; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, help-gnu-emacs

Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:

Hi Colin,

> I have discovered I can't access that advantage of the icon. If I launch
> emacs with -Q then putting the point over the icon and clicking does
> indeed display the password en clair. However this is not the case when
> I use my ~/.emacs. Then I get the error:
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Can't expand minibuffer to full frame")
>   (signal error ("Can't expand minibuffer to full frame"))
>   (error "Can't expand minibuffer to full frame")
>
> I don't yet know what is causing this error.

I recommend to bisect your .emacs, until you find the guilty setting.

> Colin.

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: mode-line icon for encrypted file
@ 2024-05-04 18:15               ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2024-05-04 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, help-gnu-emacs

    > Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes: Hi Colin,

    >> I have discovered I can't access that advantage of the icon. If I
    >> launch emacs with -Q then putting the point over the icon and
    >> clicking does indeed display the password en clair. However this
    >> is not the case when I use my ~/.emacs. Then I get the error:
    >>
    >> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Can't expand minibuffer to
    >> full frame") (signal error ("Can't expand minibuffer to full
    >> frame")) (error "Can't expand minibuffer to full frame")
    >>
    >> I don't yet know what is causing this error.

    > I recommend to bisect your .emacs, until you find the guilty
    > setting.

    >> Colin.

    > Best regards, Michael.

The fault doesn't appear to be with my ~/.emacs. If I launch emacs with
-Q and load my emacs via M-x load-file <RET> ~/.emacs <RET> then there
is no "minibuffer to full frame" error and I see the password by
clicking the icon. If I remove my ~/.emacs altogether and have an empty
file ~/.emacs then the error reappears when I launch emacs normally,
without the Q argument.

I wonder if it is because I am using stumpwm as my window manager. I
need to switch computers and try with a different window manager.

I will report back!

Colin.

* Re: mode-line icon for encrypted file
@ 2024-05-04 18:25                 ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2024-05-04 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

    >> Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes: Hi Colin,

    >>> I have discovered I can't access that advantage of the icon. If
    >>> I launch emacs with -Q then putting the point over the icon and
    >>> clicking does indeed display the password en clair. However this
    >>> is not the case when I use my ~/.emacs. Then I get the error:
    >>>
    >>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Can't expand minibuffer to
    >>> full frame") (signal error ("Can't expand minibuffer to full
    >>> frame")) (error "Can't expand minibuffer to full frame")
    >>>
    >>> I don't yet know what is causing this error.

    >> I recommend to bisect your .emacs, until you find the guilty
    >> setting.

    >>> Colin.

    >> Best regards, Michael.

    > The fault doesn't appear to be with my ~/.emacs. If I launch emacs
    > with -Q and load my emacs via M-x load-file <RET> ~/.emacs <RET>
    > then there is no "minibuffer to full frame" error and I see the
    > password by clicking the icon. If I remove my ~/.emacs altogether
    > and have an empty file ~/.emacs then the error reappears when I
    > launch emacs normally, without the Q argument.

    > I wonder if it is because I am using stumpwm as my window
    > manager. I need to switch computers and try with a different
    > window manager.

    > I will report back!

    > Colin.

Success. The fault is indeed with the stumpwm window manager. If I use a
different one, eg openbox, then there is no error and clicking the icon
shows the password.  I suppose I ought to post the problem to stumpwm dev.

Thank you for all your help.

Colin.

* Re: mode-line icon for encrypted file
@ 2024-05-05 10:43             ` Michael Heerdegen via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Michael Heerdegen via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2024-05-05 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:

> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Can't expand minibuffer to full
> frame")
>   (signal error ("Can't expand minibuffer to full frame"))
>   (error "Can't expand minibuffer to full frame")

Is this the complete backtrace?  If not, could you please post a
complete backtrace?

TIA,

Michael.

* Re: mode-line icon for encrypted file
@ 2024-05-05 13:47               ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2024-05-05 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
  Cc: Michael Heerdegen

    > Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:
    >> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Can't expand minibuffer to
    >> full frame") (signal error ("Can't expand minibuffer to full
    >> frame")) (error "Can't expand minibuffer to full frame")

    > Is this the complete backtrace?  If not, could you please post a
    > complete backtrace?

I've posted the trace below. I had thought that the problem was
window-manager specific, but I've discovered that's not the case. The
odd thing is that if I launch emacs as "emacs -Q" and then do load-file
<RET> ~/.emacs <RET> then there is no error and I can see my password
when I click the icon.

Colin.

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Can't expand minibuffer to full frame")
  (signal error ("Can't expand minibuffer to full frame"))
  (error "Can't expand minibuffer to full frame")
  (delete-other-windows)
  (help-with-tutorial)
  (#f(compiled-function (button) #<bytecode -0xf86fb9a>) #<overlay from 77 to 91 in *GNU Emacs*>)
  (button-activate #<overlay from 77 to 91 in *GNU Emacs*> t)
  (push-button nil t)
  (push-button (mouse-2 (#<window 3 on *GNU Emacs*> mode-line (8 . 654) 307812721 (#(" " 0 1 (rear-nonsticky t help-echo "mouse-1: Toggle password visibility" display (image :type svg :file "/home/redknight/git/emacs/etc/images/reveal.svg" :height (0.8 . em) :scale 1 :ascent center :transform-smoothing t) mouse-face mode-line-highlight local-map (keymap (mode-line keymap ...)))) . 0) nil (0 . 47) (image :type svg :file "/home/redknight/git/emacs/etc/images/reveal.svg" :height (0.8 . em) :scale 1 :ascent center :transform-smoothing t) (8 . 6) (13 . 13))))
  (funcall-interactively push-button (mouse-2 (#<window 3 on *GNU Emacs*> mode-line (8 . 654) 307812721 (#(" " 0 1 (rear-nonsticky t help-echo "mouse-1: Toggle password visibility" display (image :type svg :file "/home/redknight/git/emacs/etc/images/reveal.svg" :height (0.8 . em) :scale 1 :ascent center :transform-smoothing t) mouse-face mode-line-highlight local-map (keymap (mode-line keymap ...)))) . 0) nil (0 . 47) (image :type svg :file "/home/redknight/git/emacs/etc/images/reveal.svg" :height (0.8 . em) :scale 1 :ascent center :transform-smoothing t) (8 . 6) (13 . 13))))
  (call-interactively push-button nil nil)
  (command-execute push-button)
  (read-string "Passphrase for symmetric encryption for /home/redknight/.fetchmailrc.gpg: " nil t nil)
  (read-passwd "Passphrase for symmetric encryption for /home/redknight/.fetchmailrc.gpg: " nil)
  (epa-passphrase-callback-function #s(epg-context :protocol OpenPGP :program "/usr/bin/gpg2" :home-directory "/home/redknight/.gnupg" :armor nil :textmode nil :include-certs nil :cipher-algorithm nil :digest-algorithm nil :compress-algorithm nil :passphrase-callback (epa-file-passphrase-callback-function . "/home/redknight/.fetchmailrc.gpg") :progress-callback (epa-progress-callback-function . "Decrypting /home/redknight/.fetchmailrc.gpg") :edit-callback nil :signers nil :sender nil :sig-notations nil :process #<process epg> :output-file "/home/redknight/.cache/emacs/tmp/epg-outputHXHHzQ" :result nil :operation decrypt :pinentry-mode loopback :error-output "" :error-buffer #<buffer  *epg-error*>) SYM "/home/redknight/.fetchmailrc.gpg")
  (epa-file-passphrase-callback-function #s(epg-context :protocol OpenPGP :program "/usr/bin/gpg2" :home-directory "/home/redknight/.gnupg" :armor nil :textmode nil :include-certs nil :cipher-algorithm nil :digest-algorithm nil :compress-algorithm nil :passphrase-callback (epa-file-passphrase-callback-function . "/home/redknight/.fetchmailrc.gpg") :progress-callback (epa-progress-callback-function . "Decrypting /home/redknight/.fetchmailrc.gpg") :edit-callback nil :signers nil :sender nil :sig-notations nil :process #<process epg> :output-file "/home/redknight/.cache/emacs/tmp/epg-outputHXHHzQ" :result nil :operation decrypt :pinentry-mode loopback :error-output "" :error-buffer #<buffer  *epg-error*>) SYM "/home/redknight/.fetchmailrc.gpg")
  (epg--status-GET_HIDDEN #s(epg-context :protocol OpenPGP :program "/usr/bin/gpg2" :home-directory "/home/redknight/.gnupg" :armor nil :textmode nil :include-certs nil :cipher-algorithm nil :digest-algorithm nil :compress-algorithm nil :passphrase-callback (epa-file-passphrase-callback-function . "/home/redknight/.fetchmailrc.gpg") :progress-callback (epa-progress-callback-function . "Decrypting /home/redknight/.fetchmailrc.gpg") :edit-callback nil :signers nil :sender nil :sig-notations nil :process #<process epg> :output-file "/home/redknight/.cache/emacs/tmp/epg-outputHXHHzQ" :result nil :operation decrypt :pinentry-mode loopback :error-output "" :error-buffer #<buffer  *epg-error*>) "passphrase.enter")
  (epg--process-filter #<process epg> "[GNUPG:] NEED_PASSPHRASE_SYM 9 3 2\n[GNUPG:] INQUIRE_MAXLEN 100\n[GNUPG:] INQUIRE_MAXLEN 100\n[GNUPG:] GET_HIDDEN passphrase.enter\n")
  (accept-process-output #<process epg> 1)
  (epg-wait-for-status #s(epg-context :protocol OpenPGP :program "/usr/bin/gpg2" :home-directory "/home/redknight/.gnupg" :armor nil :textmode nil :include-certs nil :cipher-algorithm nil :digest-algorithm nil :compress-algorithm nil :passphrase-callback (epa-file-passphrase-callback-function . "/home/redknight/.fetchmailrc.gpg") :progress-callback (epa-progress-callback-function . "Decrypting /home/redknight/.fetchmailrc.gpg") :edit-callback nil :signers nil :sender nil :sig-notations nil :process #<process epg> :output-file "/home/redknight/.cache/emacs/tmp/epg-outputHXHHzQ" :result nil :operation decrypt :pinentry-mode loopback :error-output "" :error-buffer #<buffer  *epg-error*>) ("BEGIN_DECRYPTION"))
  (epg-start-decrypt #s(epg-context :protocol OpenPGP :program "/usr/bin/gpg2" :home-directory "/home/redknight/.gnupg" :armor nil :textmode nil :include-certs nil :cipher-algorithm nil :digest-algorithm nil :compress-algorithm nil :passphrase-callback (epa-file-passphrase-callback-function . "/home/redknight/.fetchmailrc.gpg") :progress-callback (epa-progress-callback-function . "Decrypting /home/redknight/.fetchmailrc.gpg") :edit-callback nil :signers nil :sender nil :sig-notations nil :process #<process epg> :output-file "/home/redknight/.cache/emacs/tmp/epg-outputHXHHzQ" :result nil :operation decrypt :pinentry-mode loopback :error-output "" :error-buffer #<buffer  *epg-error*>) #s(epg-data :file "/home/redknight/.fetchmailrc.gpg" :string nil))
  (epg-decrypt-file #s(epg-context :protocol OpenPGP :program "/usr/bin/gpg2" :home-directory "/home/redknight/.gnupg" :armor nil :textmode nil :include-certs nil :cipher-algorithm nil :digest-algorithm nil :compress-algorithm nil :passphrase-callback (epa-file-passphrase-callback-function . "/home/redknight/.fetchmailrc.gpg") :progress-callback (epa-progress-callback-function . "Decrypting /home/redknight/.fetchmailrc.gpg") :edit-callback nil :signers nil :sender nil :sig-notations nil :process #<process epg> :output-file "/home/redknight/.cache/emacs/tmp/epg-outputHXHHzQ" :result nil :operation decrypt :pinentry-mode loopback :error-output "" :error-buffer #<buffer  *epg-error*>) "/home/redknight/.fetchmailrc.gpg" nil)
  (epa-file-insert-file-contents "/home/redknight/.fetchmailrc.gpg" t nil nil nil)
  (apply epa-file-insert-file-contents ("/home/redknight/.fetchmailrc.gpg" t nil nil nil))
  (epa-file-handler insert-file-contents "/home/redknight/.fetchmailrc.gpg" t nil nil nil)
  (insert-file-contents "~/.fetchmailrc.gpg" t)
  (find-file-noselect-1 #<buffer .fetchmailrc.gpg> "~/.fetchmailrc.gpg" nil nil "~/.fetchmailrc.gpg" (394070 2049))
  (find-file-noselect "/home/redknight/.fetchmailrc.gpg" nil nil)
  (ido-file-internal raise-frame)
  (ido-find-file)
  (funcall-interactively ido-find-file)
  (call-interactively ido-find-file nil nil)
  (command-execute ido-find-file)

* Re: mode-line icon for encrypted file
@ 2024-05-05 14:48                 ` Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2024-05-05 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I've posted the trace below. I had thought that the problem was
> window-manager specific, but I've discovered that's not the case. The
> odd thing is that if I launch Emacs as "emacs -Q" and then do load-file
> <RET> ~/.emacs <RET> then there is no error and I can see my password
> when I click the icon.

Maybe some site-wide config file?

        Stefan

Does `-q` make a difference compared to `-Q` (or does `--no-site-file`
make a difference)?

> Colin.

> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Can't expand minibuffer to full frame")
>   (signal error ("Can't expand minibuffer to full frame"))
>   (error "Can't expand minibuffer to full frame")
>   (delete-other-windows)
>   (help-with-tutorial)
>   (#f(compiled-function (button) #<bytecode -0xf86fb9a>) #<overlay from 77 to 91 in *GNU Emacs*>)
>   (button-activate #<overlay from 77 to 91 in *GNU Emacs*> t)
>   (push-button nil t)
>   (push-button (mouse-2 (#<window 3 on *GNU Emacs*> mode-line (8 . 654)
> 307812721 (#(" " 0 1 (rear-nonsticky t help-echo "mouse-1: Toggle password
> visibility" display (image :type svg :file
> "/home/redknight/git/emacs/etc/images/reveal.svg" :height (0.8 . em) :scale
> 1 :ascent center :transform-smoothing t) mouse-face mode-line-highlight
> local-map (keymap (mode-line keymap ...)))) . 0) nil (0 . 47) (image :type
> svg :file "/home/redknight/git/emacs/etc/images/reveal.svg" :height (0.8
> . em) :scale 1 :ascent center :transform-smoothing t) (8 . 6) (13 . 13))))
>   (funcall-interactively push-button (mouse-2 (#<window 3 on *GNU Emacs*>
> mode-line (8 . 654) 307812721 (#(" " 0 1 (rear-nonsticky t help-echo
> "mouse-1: Toggle password visibility" display (image :type svg :file
> "/home/redknight/git/emacs/etc/images/reveal.svg" :height (0.8 . em) :scale
> 1 :ascent center :transform-smoothing t) mouse-face mode-line-highlight
> local-map (keymap (mode-line keymap ...)))) . 0) nil (0 . 47) (image :type
> svg :file "/home/redknight/git/emacs/etc/images/reveal.svg" :height (0.8
> . em) :scale 1 :ascent center :transform-smoothing t) (8 . 6) (13 . 13))))
>   (call-interactively push-button nil nil)
>   (command-execute push-button)

`push-button` is not the command that we expect here.  It should be
`read-passwd-toggle-visibility` instead.
Also that visibility toggle thingy is bound to `mouse-1`, and doesn't
work on `mouse-2` but the above talks about a `mouse-2` event.
Did you click with `mouse-2` or was your `mouse-1` click converted into
a `mouse-2` click (presumably by `mouse-1-click-follows-link`)?

* Re: mode-line icon for encrypted file
@ 2024-05-05 15:36                   ` Michael Heerdegen via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Michael Heerdegen via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2024-05-05 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> >   (help-with-tutorial)
> >   [...]
> >   (call-interactively push-button nil nil)
> >   (command-execute push-button)
>
> `push-button` is not the command that we expect here.  It should be
> `read-passwd-toggle-visibility` instead.

FWIW: this looks exactly like when hitting the button point is on when
Emacs started displaying the splash screen.  Then point is directly
before a link to the tutorial.  A coincidence?

Michael.

* Re: mode-line icon for encrypted file
@ 2024-05-05 15:49                   ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2024-05-05 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
  Cc: Stefan Monnier

    >> I've posted the trace below. I had thought that the problem was
    >> window-manager specific, but I've discovered that's not the
    >> case. The odd thing is that if I launch Emacs as "emacs -Q" and
    >> then do load-file <RET> ~/.emacs <RET> then there is no error and
    >> I can see my password when I click the icon.

    > Maybe some site-wide config file?

    >         Stefan

    > Does `-q` make a difference compared to `-Q` (or does
    > `--no-site-file` make a difference)?

I forgot about 'q' versus 'Q'. I now find that only using emacs -Q gives
no error. All the others: -q, --no-init-file, --no-site-file all give a
'can't expand minibuffer' error.

Colin.

* Re: mode-line icon for encrypted file
@ 2024-05-06 11:26             ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2024-05-06 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin Baxter; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, help-gnu-emacs

Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:

> I have discovered I can't access that advantage of the icon. If I launch
> emacs with -Q then putting the point over the icon and clicking does
> indeed display the password en clair. However this is not the case when
> I use my ~/.emacs. Then I get the error: [...]

AFAIU this should have been fixed by Stefan on master.

Michael.

* Re: mode-line icon for encrypted file
@ 2024-05-06 14:23               ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2024-05-06 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, help-gnu-emacs

    > Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:
    >> I have discovered I can't access that advantage of the icon. If I
    >> launch emacs with -Q then putting the point over the icon and
    >> clicking does indeed display the password en clair. However this
    >> is not the case when I use my ~/.emacs. Then I get the error:
    >> [...]

    > AFAIU this should have been fixed by Stefan on master.

    > Michael.

Yes, I can confirm that it is indeed fixed.

Thank you.

Colin.

* Re: mode-line icon for encrypted file
@ 2024-05-06 15:24                 ` Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2024-05-06 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>     >> I have discovered I can't access that advantage of the icon. If I
>     >> launch emacs with -Q then putting the point over the icon and
>     >> clicking does indeed display the password en clair. However this
>     >> is not the case when I use my ~/.emacs. Then I get the error:
>     >> [...]
>     > AFAIU this should have been fixed by Stefan on master.
>     > Michael.
> Yes, I can confirm that it is indeed fixed.

Hmm... funny: I didn't think your situation would be fixed by my patch:
I just found some loose ends while looking at the code to try and
understand what was going on.

In retrospect, I guess the problem was that the code used `local-map`
rather than `keymap` so its binding ended up with a lower priority than
the binding to `button-push`.

In any case, I'm glad it's fixed.

* Re: mode-line icon for encrypted file
@ 2024-05-06 19:20                   ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2024-05-06 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
  Cc: Stefan Monnier

    >> icon. If I >> launch emacs with -Q then putting the point over
    >> the icon and >> clicking does indeed display the password en
    >> clair. However this >> is not the case when I use my
    >> ~/.emacs. Then I get the error: >> [...]  > AFAIU this should
    >> have been fixed by Stefan on master.  > Michael.  Yes, I can
    >> confirm that it is indeed fixed.

    > Hmm... funny: I didn't think your situation would be fixed by my
    > patch: I just found some loose ends while looking at the code to
    > try and understand what was going on.

    > In retrospect, I guess the problem was that the code used
    > `local-map` rather than `keymap` so its binding ended up with a
    > lower priority than the binding to `button-push`.

    > In any case, I'm glad it's fixed.

Thank you for working on this.

There's a nice hack that Michael Albinus set me, originally to hide the
icon, which, with v. slight modification can be used in a terminal:

(unless (display-graphic-p)
(with-eval-after-load 'auth-source
  (setcar (cdr (iconp 'read-passwd--show-password-icon)) '((text "O")))
;;; 'O' shows password
  (setcar (cdr (iconp 'read-passwd--hide-password-icon)) '((text "X")))))
;;; 'X' hides password

This will be useful for me because I more often than not use emacs -nw.

Thanks again.

Colin.

* Re: mode-line icon for encrypted file
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2024-05-06 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin Baxter; +Cc: Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

> There's a nice hack that Michael Albinus set me, originally to hide the
> icon, which, with v. slight modification can be used in a terminal:

> (unless (display-graphic-p)
> (with-eval-after-load 'auth-source
>   (setcar (cdr (iconp 'read-passwd--show-password-icon)) '((text "O")))
> ;;; 'O' shows password
>   (setcar (cdr (iconp 'read-passwd--hide-password-icon)) '((text "X")))))
> ;;; 'X' hides password
>
> This will be useful for me because I more often than not use emacs -nw.

AFAICT this is not needed for the toggle to be available in `emacs -nw`,
but admittedly in my test the toggle is currently displayed (in my
xterm) as something I'm unable to recognize.  This said, I don't think
I'd recognize "X" or "O" is indicating that this is the place to toggle
the visibility either.