all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* [ANN] The 2022 Emacs User Survey is now open!
@ 2022-10-24 10:27 Timothy
From: Timothy @ 2022-10-24 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Devel

Hi All,

I’m thrilled to announce that the Emacs User Survey 2022 is now open to
maintainers, and the wider Emacs community, develop a better understanding of
how people experience Emacs on a day-to-day basis.

<https://emacssurvey.org/>

The survey will be open from October 24th to November 30th.

This time there are /no/ non-free Javascript or user-tracking caveats as this
features a bespoke survey framework written from scratch for the Emacs User
Survey to support a pure HTML-forms + CSS approach with server-side rendering
🎉.

See the [FAQ] for more information on the survey itself.

It would be fantastic for this to be shared as far and wide as possible, to get
communities you are a part of, as well as any friends or colleagues that use
Emacs, that would be much appreciated.

We can look forward to a discussion of the (preliminary) results in EmacsConf:
<https://emacsconf.org/2022/talks/survey/>.

All the best,
Timothy

[FAQ] <https://emacssurvey.org/faq.html>

* [ANN] The 2022 Emacs User Survey is now open!
@ 2022-10-24 10:42 Timothy
From: Timothy @ 2022-10-24 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

--
Timothy (‘tecosaur’/‘TEC’), Org mode contributor.
or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/tec>.

[FAQ] <https://emacssurvey.org/faq.html>

* Re: [ANN] The 2022 Emacs User Survey is now open!
@ 2022-10-24 11:15 Payas Relekar
From: Payas Relekar @ 2022-10-24 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Great job on the survey!

Filled and submitted.

Timothy <orgmode@tec.tecosaur.net> writes:

> Hi All,
>
> I’m thrilled to announce that the Emacs User Survey 2022 is now open to
> maintainers, and the wider Emacs community develop a better understanding of
> how people experience Emacs on a day-to-day basis.
>
> <https://emacssurvey.org/>
>
> The survey will be open from October 24th to November 30th.
>
> This time there are /no/ non-free Javascript or user-tracking caveats as this
> features a bespoke survey framework written from scratch for the Emacs User
> Survey to support a pure HTML-forms + CSS approach with server-side rendering
> 🎉.
>
> See the [FAQ] for more information on the survey itself.
>
> It would be fantastic for this to be shared as far and wide as possible, to get
> communities you are a part of, as well as any friends or colleagues that use
> Emacs, that would be much appreciated.
>
> We can look forward to a discussion of the (preliminary) results in EmacsConf:
> <https://emacsconf.org/2022/talks/survey/>.
>
> All the best,
> Timothy

* Re: [ANN] The 2022 Emacs User Survey is now open!
@ 2022-10-24 11:32 ` Russell Adams
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Russell Adams @ 2022-10-24 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Completed!

On Mon, Oct 24, 2022 at 06:42:35PM +0800, Timothy wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I’m thrilled to announce that the Emacs User Survey 2022 is now open to
> maintainers, and the wider Emacs community develop a better understanding of
> how people experience Emacs on a day-to-day basis.
>
> <https://emacssurvey.org/>
>
> The survey will be open from October 24th to November 30th.
>
> This time there are /no/ non-free Javascript or user-tracking caveats as this
> features a bespoke survey framework written from scratch for the Emacs User
> Survey to support a pure HTML-forms + CSS approach with server-side rendering
> 🎉.
>
> See the [FAQ] for more information on the survey itself.
>
> It would be fantastic for this to be shared as far and wide as possible, to get
> communities you are a part of, as well as any friends or colleagues that use
> Emacs, that would be much appreciated.
>
> We can look forward to a discussion of the (preliminary) results in EmacsConf:
> <https://emacsconf.org/2022/talks/survey/>.
>
> All the best,
> Timothy
>
> --
> Timothy (‘tecosaur’/‘TEC’), Org mode contributor.
> Learn more about Org mode at <https://orgmode.org/>.
> Support Org development at <https://liberapay.com/org-mode>,
> or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/tec>.
>

> [FAQ] <https://emacssurvey.org/faq.html>

                                    https://www.adamsinfoserv.com/

* Re: [ANN] The 2022 Emacs User Survey is now open!
@ 2022-10-24 11:37 ` Jean Louis
       [not found] ` <6358d205.050a0220.d906e.8b76SMTPIN_ADDED_BROKEN@mx.google.com>
From: Jean Louis @ 2022-10-24 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

How were you introduced to Emacs?
Friend
Recommended by a colleague
University/College
Some part of the internet

You forgot that GNU/Linux distributions were initially distributed on
CD and DVD ROMs, people were buying it, getting from magazines "for
free" and by similar physical distribution.

IMHO, that is one major point, that shall be considered primary.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/

* Re: [ANN] The 2022 Emacs User Survey is now open!
@ 2022-10-24 13:25 ` Po Lu
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Po Lu @ 2022-10-24 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy; +Cc: Emacs Devel

Timothy <tec@tecosaur.net> writes:

> Hi All,
>
> I’m thrilled to announce that the Emacs User Survey 2022 is now open to
> maintainers, and the wider Emacs community, develop a better understanding of
> how people experience Emacs on a day-to-day basis.
>
> <https://emacssurvey.org/>
>
> The survey will be open from October 24th to November 30th.
>
> This time there are /no/ non-free Javascript or user-tracking caveats as this
> features a bespoke survey framework written from scratch for the Emacs User
> Survey to support a pure HTML-forms + CSS approach with server-side rendering
> 🎉.
>
> See the [FAQ] for more information on the survey itself.
>
> It would be fantastic for this to be shared as far and wide as possible, to get
> communities you are a part of, as well as any friends or colleagues that use
> Emacs, that would be much appreciated.
>
> We can look forward to a discussion of the (preliminary) results in EmacsConf:
> <https://emacsconf.org/2022/talks/survey/>.
>
> All the best,
> Timothy
>

> [FAQ] <https://emacssurvey.org/faq.html>

Thanks.  While filling out the survey, I noticed something missing:

When you discover a new package that looks interesting, what do you do next?
Install and try it immediately
Research alternatives
Wait for it to mature
Wait till I see other people in the community using it

This seems to be missing an option for "I don't do anything."

* Re: [ANN] The 2022 Emacs User Survey is now open!
@ 2022-10-24 14:40 ` Akib Azmain Turja
From: Akib Azmain Turja @ 2022-10-24 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy; +Cc: Emacs Devel

Timothy <tec@tecosaur.net> writes:

> Hi All,
>
> I’m thrilled to announce that the Emacs User Survey 2022 is now open to
> maintainers, and the wider Emacs community, develop a better understanding of
> how people experience Emacs on a day-to-day basis.
>
> <https://emacssurvey.org/>
>
> The survey will be open from October 24th to November 30th.
>
> This time there are /no/ non-free Javascript or user-tracking caveats as this
> features a bespoke survey framework written from scratch for the Emacs User
> Survey to support a pure HTML-forms + CSS approach with server-side rendering
> 🎉.
>
> See the [FAQ] for more information on the survey itself.
>
> It would be fantastic for this to be shared as far and wide as possible, to get
> communities you are a part of, as well as any friends or colleagues that use
> Emacs, that would be much appreciated.
>
> We can look forward to a discussion of the (preliminary) results in EmacsConf:
> <https://emacsconf.org/2022/talks/survey/>.
>
> All the best,
> Timothy
>

> [FAQ] <https://emacssurvey.org/faq.html>

I just completed the survey, and it was great.  But I couldn't see my
results in any of txt, org or json: they say everything is missing.

--
Akib Azmain Turja

Find me on Mastodon at @akib@hostux.social, and on Codeberg (user
"akib").

This message is signed by me with my GnuPG key.  Its fingerprint is:

    7001 8CE5 819F 17A3 BBA6  66AF E74F 0EFA 922A E7F5

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [ANN] The 2022 Emacs User Survey is now open!
@ 2022-10-24 14:48   ` Timothy
From: Timothy @ 2022-10-24 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Akib Azmain Turja; +Cc: Emacs Devel

Hi Akib,

> I just completed the survey, and it was great.  But I couldn’t see my
> results in any of txt, org or json: they say everything is missing.

There seems to be an issue that has decided to raise its head during production
😓.

For some reason, certain responses display as though some or all of the answers
are “missing” even when an answer was given. I have investigated a number of
cases like this, and in every one the data has been correctly recorded in the
database, but for some reason it is displayed/exported incorrectly.

I will look into this more later, but for now it appears as though no data is
lost, even though it may appear concerning.

All the best,
Timothy

* Re: [ANN] The 2022 Emacs User Survey is now open!
@ 2022-10-24 16:05 ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2022-10-24 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy; +Cc: Emacs Devel

Timothy <tec@tecosaur.net> writes:

> Hi All,
>
> I’m thrilled to announce that the Emacs User Survey 2022 is now open to
> maintainers, and the wider Emacs community, develop a better understanding of
> how people experience Emacs on a day-to-day basis.
>
> <https://emacssurvey.org/>

Great!

I don't know if it is too late, but it seems that you recently copied a
few questions from the 2020 survey, right?  I assume so because I
couldn't find "Common Lisp" in the programming language list (again).
Is it too late to add it, or are you satisfied with people just adding
Common Lisp manually?

> The survey will be open from October 24th to November 30th.
>
> This time there are /no/ non-free Javascript or user-tracking caveats as this
> features a bespoke survey framework written from scratch for the Emacs User
> Survey to support a pure HTML-forms + CSS approach with server-side rendering
> 🎉.

1+

> See the [FAQ] for more information on the survey itself.
>
> It would be fantastic for this to be shared as far and wide as possible, to get
> communities you are a part of, as well as any friends or colleagues that use
> Emacs, that would be much appreciated.

I will do my best to spread the word among friends and colleagues.

> We can look forward to a discussion of the (preliminary) results in EmacsConf:
> <https://emacsconf.org/2022/talks/survey/>.
>
> All the best,
> Timothy
>

> [FAQ] <https://emacssurvey.org/faq.html>

* Re: [ANN] The 2022 Emacs User Survey is now open!
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-10-24 23:26 ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2022-10-24 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I agree with Po. The question "When you discover a new package that
looks interesting, what do you do next?" needs a do nothing or perhaps
"Wait until I actually need it before trying it out". I see many
'interesting' packages, but most of them I don't try or use because
despite being interesting, they add no value to what I actually do.

More generally, I feel the questions about packages have a slight bias
towards a behaviour which I frequently see, but feel is often
misguided. That is, to madly install lots of packages, most of which you
never use (a behaviour common in other systems which use a package
system to extend functionality). I am on a number of lists/forums where
people often want support/help with Emacs. A very common resolution for
issues they are encountering is to remove lots of unused and unnecessary
packages. Frequently, once we cut down to only the packages they
actually use, problems they have encountered go away.

My use case is that while I may note an interesting looking package in
my Emacs notes file, I am unlikely to ever install it unless it
addresses some issue I am running into. I tend not to actually monitor
the release of new packages. Instead, I will look for an appropriate
package when I identify some need or weakness in current workflow. It
isn't easy to express this use case in the survey.

@ 2022-10-25 11:29     ` Akib Azmain Turja
From: Akib Azmain Turja @ 2022-10-25 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy; +Cc: Emacs Devel

Timothy <contact@tecosaur.net> writes:

> Hi Akib,
>
>> I just completed the survey, and it was great.  But I couldn’t see my
>> results in any of txt, org or json: they say everything is missing.
>
> There seems to be an issue that has decided to raise its head during production
> 😓.
>
> For some reason, certain responses display as though some or all of the answers
> are “missing” even when an answer was given. I have investigated a number of
> cases like this, and in every one the data has been correctly recorded in the
> database, but for some reason it is displayed/exported incorrectly.
>
> I will look into this more later, but for now it appears as though no data is
> lost, even though it may appear concerning.
>
> All the best,
> Timothy

Thanks for the quick response.  (Though I couldn't reply, thanks to the
connectivity problems and power outage due to the cyclone here.)

I still have the survey ID.  Will it help?  If yes, I'll send it to you
off-list.

FYI I used IceCat on GNU Guix with LibreJS turned on, and it probably
blocked some JavaScript.

--

@ 2022-10-26  6:18 ` Christopher M. Miles
       [not found] ` <6358d205.050a0220.d906e.8b76SMTPIN_ADDED_BROKEN@mx.google.com>
From: Christopher M. Miles @ 2022-10-26  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Completed

--

[ stardiviner ]
I try to make every word tell the meaning that I want to express without misunderstanding.

Blog: https://stardiviner.github.io/
IRC(libera.chat, freenode): stardiviner, Matrix: stardiviner
GPG: F09F650D7D674819892591401B5DF1C95AE89AC3

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

@ 2022-10-26  6:23   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2022-10-26  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: numbchild; +Cc: Timothy, emacs-orgmode

done

last time i only got the preliminary results but wow it looked like
emacs was thriving.  not that we did't already know that from all the
blogs and sacha's list but still it was amazing.

On 10/25/22, Christopher M. Miles <numbchild@gmail.com> wrote:

> Completed
>
> Timothy <orgmode@tec.tecosaur.net> writes:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I’m thrilled to announce that the Emacs User Survey 2022 is now open to
>> maintainers, and the wider Emacs community develop a better understanding
>> of
>> how people experience Emacs on a day-to-day basis.
>>
>> <https://emacssurvey.org/>
>>
>> The survey will be open from October 24th to November 30th.
>>
>> This time there are /no/ non-free Javascript or user-tracking caveats as
>> this
>> features a bespoke survey framework written from scratch for the Emacs
>> User
>> Survey to support a pure HTML-forms + CSS approach with server-side
>> rendering
>> 🎉.
>>
>> See the [FAQ] for more information on the survey itself.
>>
>> It would be fantastic for this to be shared as far and wide as possible,
>> to get
>> Emacs
>> communities you are a part of, as well as any friends or colleagues that
>> use
>> Emacs, that would be much appreciated.
>>
>> We can look forward to a discussion of the (preliminary) results in
>> EmacsConf:
>> <https://emacsconf.org/2022/talks/survey/>.
>>
>> All the best,
>> Timothy
>

> --
>
> [ stardiviner ]
> I try to make every word tell the meaning that I want to express without
> misunderstanding.
>
> Blog: https://stardiviner.github.io/
> IRC(libera.chat, freenode): stardiviner, Matrix: stardiviner
> GPG: F09F650D7D674819892591401B5DF1C95AE89AC3

--
The Kafka Pandemic

https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com