all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#62538: 29.0.60; Setting eglot-report-progress dir-locally doesn't work
@ 2023-03-30  7:56 Augusto Stoffel
From: Augusto Stoffel @ 2023-03-30  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 62538; +Cc: João Távora

I set eglot-report-progress to nil in the "nil" section of my project's
.dir-locals.el, but I still see progress reports in the mode line.

If I add a debug message to the corresponding eglot-handle-notification
method, I see that the "(when eglot-report-progress" is evaluated in a
temp buffer and so doesn't pick up the dir-local value.

(By the way, Eglot was feeling very sluggish until I decided to disable
these notifications.  It reminded me of a similar situation with garbage
collection, where disabling a message changed user's perception of
latency in the process.  Or is this an urban legend?)

* bug#62538: 29.0.60; Setting eglot-report-progress dir-locally doesn't work
@ 2023-03-30  8:19 ` João Távora
From: João Távora @ 2023-03-30  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Augusto Stoffel; +Cc: 62538

Augusto Stoffel <arstoffel@gmail.com> writes:

> I set eglot-report-progress to nil in the "nil" section of my project's
> .dir-locals.el, but I still see progress reports in the mode line.
>
> If I add a debug message to the corresponding eglot-handle-notification
> method, I see that the "(when eglot-report-progress" is evaluated in a
> temp buffer and so doesn't pick up the dir-local value.

Ah.  It wasn't meant to be used buffer-locally.  But if it's an easy
fix, there so reason it shouldn't be.

> (By the way, Eglot was feeling very sluggish until I decided to disable
> these notifications.  It reminded me of a similar situation with garbage
> collection, where disabling a message changed user's perception of
> latency in the process.  Or is this an urban legend?)

OK I will see what I can do.

João