all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
To: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Cc: Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net>
Subject: Upcoming merge of adaptive-wrap
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 09:39:47 +0800	[thread overview]

Several months ago I tried to contact the maintainer of adaptive-wrap
regarding the inclusion of his package into Emacs proper, who did not
respond over all the months that have since passed.  (In general I was
met with stony silence.  It's funny how pandemonium erupts when a minor
proposal to introduce _new_ code appears, but the same people wash their
hands of minor chores required for the code to remain useful.)  It's a
fair bet that the package maintainer is not actively engaged in its
development anymore, so if I hear no serious objections in the next few
days I will write the documentation and merge this invaluable feature
into master.

I think placing the package on ELPA was unwise and would not have taken
place but for our obsession with moving things to ELPA.  Minor features
will never justify the hassle of browsing through the package list,
downloading them from the Internet, and updating them with each new
release of Emacs that obsoletes this or that feature.  For the future,
could we please adopt at least the following two criteria for installing
packages in ELPA rather than Emacs?  They're not very precise but better
than nothing.

  - The package is of sufficient size to be worthy of Internet
    installation, and provides features in demand high enough that users
    proactively research and install them.

  - The package maintainer desires that it be distributed over ELPA.

Even those proprietary text editors developed behind closed doors do not
relegate useful text editing features to their extension repositories.
Users are forced to distribute small enhancements there, because the
developers of such text editors are not receptive to users acting on
their own initiatives.  We are not so conceited, and should make the
most of this advantage of ours.