all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#56514: ircs:// integration for rcirc (bug#56514)
       [not found] <87pmiabvd5.fsf@neverwas.me>
@ 2022-11-08 14:41 ` J.P.
From: J.P. @ 2022-11-08 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: 56514, emacs-erc

Hi Philip,

Just a heads up: I'm in the process of possibly tweaking url-irc (and
browse-url) to better support irc:// links in internal Emacs apps. If
you're interested, this mostly concerns the second patch here:

  https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=56514#22

Basically, I wanted a way to tell `url-irc-erc' whether to connect via
TLS without relying on port numbers and without changing the signature
of `url-irc-function'. Rather than mess with `func-arity' or the like,
I've opted to just hijack an existing variable from the url(-vars)
library, `url-current-object', which seems ready made for this purpose.
The idea is to simply bind it to the parsed URL object during calls to
`url-irc-function'. Please let me know if you see any downsides
to doing this or if a smarter approach comes to mind.

BTW, as the patch shows, I've left the rcirc side alone. But if you want
to handle ircs:// links without bothering with all the
`url-current-object' business above, simply arranging to switch to 'tls
whenever the port is 6697 should have you pretty well covered, I think.
Let me know if that doesn't make sense.

Thanks,
J.P.

* bug#56514: ircs:// integration for rcirc (bug#56514)
       [not found] <877d05jyoo.fsf@neverwas.me>
@ 2022-11-09 13:46 ` J.P.
       [not found] ` <875yfo1brw.fsf@neverwas.me>
From: J.P. @ 2022-11-09 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: 56514, emacs-erc

"J.P." <jp@neverwas.me> writes:

> Rather than mess with `func-arity' or the like, I've opted to just
> hijack an existing variable from the url(-vars) library,
> `url-current-object', which seems ready made for this purpose. The
> idea is to simply bind it to the parsed URL object during calls to
> `url-irc-function'.

Please disregard the above (meaning most everything from my previous
email). Turns out I forgot all about Compat (ironically), which should
make this all a nonissue.

> simply arranging to switch to 'tls whenever the port is 6697 should
> have you pretty well covered, I think.

Actually, this bit here still applies if by chance you want rcirc to
handle ircs:// links. (Not saying you should.)

Thanks and apologies for the noise.

@ 2022-11-09 17:09   ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2022-11-09 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J.P.; +Cc: 56514, emacs-erc

"J.P." <jp@neverwas.me> writes:

>> simply arranging to switch to 'tls whenever the port is 6697 should
>> have you pretty well covered, I think.
>
> Actually, this bit here still applies if by chance you want rcirc to
> handle ircs:// links. (Not saying you should.)

I think this would be a nice thing to have (not that I encounter ircs://
links that often...).

> Thanks and apologies for the noise.

No problem, I was more confused than disturbed in any way.