all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How does command remapping actually work?
@ 2021-07-29  5:12 Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2021-07-29  5:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I experimented a bit with command remapping, and it's great - but how
does it actually work?  I mean, apparently it doesn't change the keymap,
and it's not stored in its symbol plist, so where is the remapping info
actually stored?  IOW, what is changed when I evaluate things like

(define-key my-mode-map [remap kill-line] 'my-kill-line)

?

TIA,

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl

* Re: How does command remapping actually work?
@ 2021-07-29  6:24 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-07-29  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl>
> Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 07:12:50 +0200
>
> I experimented a bit with command remapping, and it's great - but how
> does it actually work?  I mean, apparently it doesn't change the keymap,
> and it's not stored in its symbol plist, so where is the remapping info
> actually stored?  IOW, what is changed when I evaluate things like
>
> (define-key my-mode-map [remap kill-line] 'my-kill-line)

The 'remap' pseudo-key works via special handling in the low-level
keymap code, see the source of where-is-internal in keymap.c (search
for "Qremap").

* Re: How does command remapping actually work?
@ 2021-07-29 22:34 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2021-07-29 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Hi all,
>
> I experimented a bit with command remapping, and it's great - but how
> does it actually work?  I mean, apparently it doesn't change the keymap,
> and it's not stored in its symbol plist, so where is the remapping info
> actually stored?

In the keymap.

Are you sure you have examined the right keymap and searched correctly?
These entries are not represented specially AFAIK.  They are interpreted
differently, yes, but you should see entries in the keymap.  Maybe you
got a submap using a `remap` prefix key?

Michael.

* Re: How does command remapping actually work?
@ 2021-07-30 16:17   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2021-07-30 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 2021-07-30, at 00:34, Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de> wrote:

> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> writes:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I experimented a bit with command remapping, and it's great - but how
>> does it actually work?  I mean, apparently it doesn't change the keymap,
>> and it's not stored in its symbol plist, so where is the remapping info
>> actually stored?
>
> In the keymap.
>
> Are you sure you have examined the right keymap and searched correctly?
> These entries are not represented specially AFAIK.  They are interpreted
> differently, yes, but you should see entries in the keymap.  Maybe you
> got a submap using a `remap` prefix key?

I stand corrected, you're right, of course.

From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2021-07-30 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 2021-07-29, at 08:24, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

>> From: Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl>
>> Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 07:12:50 +0200
>>
>> I experimented a bit with command remapping, and it's great - but how
>> does it actually work?  I mean, apparently it doesn't change the keymap,
>> and it's not stored in its symbol plist, so where is the remapping info
>> actually stored?  IOW, what is changed when I evaluate things like
>>
>> (define-key my-mode-map [remap kill-line] 'my-kill-line)
>
> The 'remap' pseudo-key works via special handling in the low-level
> keymap code, see the source of where-is-internal in keymap.c (search
> for "Qremap").

Thanks!

--
Marcin Borkowski