all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs 28.2 on Windows XP 32-bit
@ 2022-10-23  2:48 Peter Wyatt
From: Peter Wyatt @ 2022-10-23  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi there,

The FAQ says that emacs 28.2 will run on all versions of Windows from 98
onwards, including XP.  But when I try to run it on my Windows XP 32 bit
system I get the "not a valid Win32 application" error, both after
downloading and extracting the emacs-28.2.zip file, and then deleting
the extracted folder and downloading and running the installer.

I can run 27.2 after downloading and extracting the emacs-27.2-i686.zip
file, but I cannot find any i686 zip or installer files in the 28.2 or
28.1 download directories...?

Hoping this is just an oversight that can be sorted by providing 32-bit
downloads, if they're available...?

Cheers, Peter

---

* Re: emacs 28.2 on Windows XP 32-bit
@ 2022-10-24  5:36 ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-10-24  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Wyatt; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Peter Wyatt <peterwyatt59@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> The FAQ says that emacs 28.2 will run on all versions of Windows from
> 98 onwards, including XP.  But when I try to run it on my Windows XP
> 32 bit system I get the "not a valid Win32 application" error, both
> after downloading and extracting the emacs-28.2.zip file, and then
> deleting the extracted folder and downloading and running the
> installer.

You will have to build the 32-bit version of yourself with MinGW; see
nt/INSTALL.  Emacs continues to support Windows 9x onwards, but the
volunteer who used to provide 32-bit prebuilts has ceased to do so.

* Re: emacs 28.2 on Windows XP 32-bit
@ 2022-10-24  8:15   ` Arash Esbati
From: Arash Esbati @ 2022-10-24  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: Peter Wyatt, help-gnu-emacs

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> You will have to build the 32-bit version of yourself with MinGW; see
> nt/INSTALL.  Emacs continues to support Windows 9x onwards, but the
> volunteer who used to provide 32-bit prebuilts has ceased to do so.

I think there is another volunteer who is providing 32-bit builds.

  https://sourceforge.net/projects/ezwinports/files/

Search for emacs-28.2-2-w32-bin.zip.  This is from the README.txt:

  emacs-28.2-2-w32

  A 32-bit Windows build of GNU Emacs version 28.2.  The MS-Windows
  binaries of Emacs available from the GNU FTP site include only a
  64-bit build, and cannot run on Windows before Windows 7.  This
  32-bit build runs on Windows XP and later, and is supposed to be
  able to run on Windows 9X as well (but was not actually tested
  there).

Best, Arash

* Re: emacs 28.2 on Windows XP 32-bit
@ 2022-10-24 10:00     ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-10-24 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arash Esbati; +Cc: Peter Wyatt, help-gnu-emacs

Arash Esbati <arash@gnu.org> writes:

> I think there is another volunteer who is providing 32-bit builds.
>
>   https://sourceforge.net/projects/ezwinports/files/

Since Eli's making them, why aren't they on ftp.gnu.org? Wouldn't it be
convenient to just put them there?

Thanks.  (I'm not sure who I'm talking to here though.)

>   A 32-bit Windows build of GNU Emacs version 28.2.  The MS-Windows
>   binaries of Emacs available from the GNU FTP site include only a
>   64-bit build, and cannot run on Windows before Windows 7.  This
>   32-bit build runs on Windows XP and later, and is supposed to be
>   able to run on Windows 9X as well (but was not actually tested
>   there).

Though YMMV running this on Windows 9x if it was not built with unexec
dumping.

* Re: emacs 28.2 on Windows XP 32-bit
@ 2022-10-24 13:14 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-10-24 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Peter Wyatt <peterwyatt59@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2022 12:48:46 +1000
>
> The FAQ says that emacs 28.2 will run on all versions of Windows from 98
> onwards, including XP.  But when I try to run it on my Windows XP 32 bit
> system I get the "not a valid Win32 application" error, both after
> downloading and extracting the emacs-28.2.zip file, and then deleting
> the extracted folder and downloading and running the installer.

Where did you download the emacs-28.2.zip file from, please?

* Re: emacs 28.2 on Windows XP 32-bit
@ 2022-10-24 13:17   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-10-24 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 13:36:47 +0800
>
> Peter Wyatt <peterwyatt59@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > The FAQ says that emacs 28.2 will run on all versions of Windows from
> > 98 onwards, including XP.  But when I try to run it on my Windows XP
> > 32 bit system I get the "not a valid Win32 application" error, both
> > after downloading and extracting the emacs-28.2.zip file, and then
> > deleting the extracted folder and downloading and running the
> > installer.
>
> You will have to build the 32-bit version of yourself with MinGW; see
> nt/INSTALL.  Emacs continues to support Windows 9x onwards, but the
> volunteer who used to provide 32-bit prebuilts has ceased to do so.

There's a new one, though.

* Re: emacs 28.2 on Windows XP 32-bit
@ 2022-10-24 13:30       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-10-24 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: Peter Wyatt <peterwyatt59@gmail.com>,  help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 18:00:59 +0800
>
> Arash Esbati <arash@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > I think there is another volunteer who is providing 32-bit builds.
> >
> >   https://sourceforge.net/projects/ezwinports/files/
>
> Since Eli's making them, why aren't they on ftp.gnu.org? Wouldn't it be
> convenient to just put them there?

Because I cannot be bothered, and because all my other ports are on
that site, so people can download the dependency libraries they want
from the same place.

> >   A 32-bit Windows build of GNU Emacs version 28.2.  The MS-Windows
> >   binaries of Emacs available from the GNU FTP site include only a
> >   64-bit build, and cannot run on Windows before Windows 7.  This
> >   32-bit build runs on Windows XP and later, and is supposed to be
> >   able to run on Windows 9X as well (but was not actually tested
> >   there).
>
> Though YMMV running this on Windows 9x if it was not built with unexec
> dumping.

This port was built with pdumper, not unexec.  We need to finish
debugging the problems you found with pdumper on Windows 9X some day.
(Thus the caveat in the README.)