* Emacs opens only first 16384 bytes of file?!
@ 2023-02-11 21:16 Christoph Groth
From: Christoph Groth @ 2023-02-11 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I just noticed something that made me doubt my own sanity:  With Emacs
27.1 (from Debian stable running Debian’s Linux kernel
6.0.0-0.deb11.6-amd64) the command

  emacs -q -nw /proc/cpuinfo

reproducibly opens cpuinfo only up to a portion of line 272, while the
entire file is 560 lines long on that machine.  I checked on a different
machine (with same Emacs), and I see the same behavior.

C-u C-x = tells that the file is read up to position 16384 (= 2^14).

Running M-x revert-buffer loads the whole file...

Is/was this a known issue?  I could not find anything on the web.

I’m willing to investigate this further, but it would seem very strange
if Emacs indeed had a bug that prevented it from loading some files
entirely.  Perhaps someone here knows the answer.

Thanks
Christoph

* Re: Emacs opens only first 16384 bytes of file?!
@ 2023-02-13  7:59 Christoph Groth
From: Christoph Groth @ 2023-02-13  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eliz; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> > From: Christoph Groth <christoph@grothesque.org>
> >
> > However, no other programs (including editors) seem to have
> > a problem with this.  So it really must be Emacs trying to be
> > clever.
>
> Not clever, but flexible, powerful, and performant.  Which other
> program supports on-the-fly decoding of non-ASCII text in so many
> encodings?

No need to convince me.  I have been living in Emacs since 1998.

That said, the finding that Emacs does not read files until EOF
surprised me quite a lot.  I thought that it had solid underpinnings.

> > Should I report this to bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, or is posting on this
> > list enough?  Or should I open a ticket with debbugs.gnu.org?
>
> A bug for this already exists: bug#9800.  A possible solution was also
> pointed out there.

Thanks, I did not manage to find this one.