* Org-Mode compared to Jupyter
@ 2022-11-04  8:14 Christopher Dimech
From: Christopher Dimech @ 2022-11-04  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help Gnu Emacs

I wonder how Org-Mode compares to Jupyter (an interactive scientific computing framework).

* Re: Org-Mode compared to Jupyter
@ 2022-11-04 11:16 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2022-11-04 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Friday,  4 Nov 2022 at 09:14, Christopher Dimech wrote:
> I wonder how Org-Mode compares to Jupyter (an interactive scientific
> computing framework).

Very favourably.  org mode does so much more.
--
Eric S Fraga via gnus (Emacs 29.0.50 2022-11-01) on Debian 11.4

* Re: Org-Mode compared to Jupyter
@ 2022-11-04 11:36 ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2022-11-04 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Dimech; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Nov 04 2022, Christopher Dimech wrote:
> I wonder how Org-Mode compares to Jupyter (an interactive scientific computing framework).

That really depends on what you find important. Org mode can do a lot more than
"just" create interactive notebooks, so you can, for example, add a TODO item
directly in your notebook and have it appear in the list of TODOs in the agenda.

Org mode also has a lot more language backends and you can combine them in a
single notebook. I've occasionally used Elisp, bash and Python together in one
notebook, because some things that are one-liners in bash require more work in
Python, and I know Elisp better than both bash and Python, so some things come
easier to me in it.

You can even connect to Jupyter kernels from Org mode:
https://github.com/nnicandro/emacs-jupyter

So I'd say Org is a lot more powerful, but Jupyter is accessed from a browser
and is therefore more accessible. You don't need to familiarise yourself with
some weird text editor to use it.

But if you're already familiar with said text editor, then the only reason to
use Jupyter that I can think of would be the need to collaborate with others.

Just my €0.02, of course.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

* Re: Org-Mode compared to Jupyter
@ 2022-11-04 11:56   ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2022-11-04 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Nov 04, 2022 at 12:36:31PM +0100, Joost Kremers wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 04 2022, Christopher Dimech wrote:
> > I wonder how Org-Mode compares to Jupyter (an interactive scientific computing framework).

[See also your favourite search engine]

> So I'd say Org is a lot more powerful, but Jupyter is accessed from a browser
> and is therefore more accessible [...]

For me, this is actually the main disqualifier. There's no worse nightmare
(for me) than editing text in a browser.

Cheers

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Org-Mode compared to Jupyter
@ 2022-11-04 14:01     ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2022-11-04 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tomas; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

    tomas> For me, this is actually the main disqualifier. There's no worse nightmare
    tomas> (for me) than editing text in a browser.

atomic-chrome solves that issue nicely.

Robert

* Re: Org-Mode compared to Jupyter
@ 2022-11-04 14:16       ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2022-11-04 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pluim; +Cc: tomas, help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Nov 04 2022, Robert Pluim wrote:

>     tomas> For me, this is actually the main disqualifier. There's no worse
>     tomas> nightmare
>     tomas> (for me) than editing text in a browser.

I hear ya.

> atomic-chrome solves that issue nicely.

I never tried, but that may not be the case for Jupyter notebooks. There are
text boxes out there that are actually a kind of HTML editors and they don't
really work with, well, GhostText, which is what I use, but I assume it's the
same for atomic-chrome.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

* Re: Org-Mode compared to Jupyter
@ 2022-11-04 14:27       ` Thibaut Verron
From: Thibaut Verron @ 2022-11-04 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pluim, tomas; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 04/11/2022 15:01, Robert Pluim wrote:
>      tomas> For me, this is actually the main disqualifier. There's no worse nightmare
>      tomas> (for me) than editing text in a browser.
>
> atomic-chrome solves that issue nicely.

Last time I checked (~2 years ago), it didn't solve the issue at all.
There were several flavors of such extensions, including atomic-chrome,
edit-with-emacs, ghosttext... Some of those only supported html
textareas (afaict that's still the case with atomic-chrome), making them
unusable for services like jupyter which don't use textareas.

Others did support some javascript editors including codemirror (thus
covering jupyter and overleaf at least). But in addition to that, as far
as I could tell jupyter was treating each line as a separate codemirror
field, which was completely breaking the emacs workflow -- regardless of
the extension.

That might have changed since then, of course.

Best wishes,

Thibaut

* Re: Org-Mode compared to Jupyter
@ 2022-11-04 14:32         ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2022-11-04 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kremers; +Cc: tomas, help-gnu-emacs

    tomas> For me, this is actually the main disqualifier. There's no worse
    tomas> nightmare
    tomas> (for me) than editing text in a browser.

    Joost> I hear ya.

    >> atomic-chrome solves that issue nicely.

    Joost> I never tried, but that may not be the case for Jupyter notebooks. There are
    Joost> text boxes out there that are actually a kind of HTML editors and they don't
    Joost> really work with, well, GhostText, which is what I use, but I assume it's the
    Joost> same for atomic-chrome.

Iʼve never tried Jupyter, for just textareas it works fine (and I
think atomic-chrome and GhostText use the same underlying protocol).

Robert

* Re: Org-Mode compared to Jupyter
@ 2022-11-04 16:31       ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2022-11-04 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pluim; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Nov 04, 2022 at 03:01:59PM +0100, Robert Pluim wrote:

>     tomas> For me, this is actually the main disqualifier. There's no worse nightmare
>     tomas> (for me) than editing text in a browser.
>
> atomic-chrome solves that issue nicely.

Atomic-chrome, which is presumably based on Atom, which is based on
Electron, which is, after all, a big honkin' web browser in disguise.

One authored by Google, no less.

Thanks, but I'll pass ;-)

Cheers

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Org-Mode compared to Jupyter
@ 2022-11-04 17:24         ` Thibaut Verron
From: Thibaut Verron @ 2022-11-04 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tomas; +Cc: Robert Pluim, help-gnu-emacs

Le ven. 4 nov. 2022 à 17:33, <tomas@tuxteam.de> a écrit :

> >     tomas> For me, this is actually the main disqualifier. There's no
> worse nightmare
> >     tomas> (for me) than editing text in a browser.
> >
> > atomic-chrome solves that issue nicely.
>
> Atomic-chrome, which is presumably based on Atom, which is based on
> Electron, which is, after all, a big honkin' web browser in disguise.

Very confidently very wrong. ;)

As much as "it's all text" is "based on emacs": atomic-chrome is a chrome
browser extension allowing to edit textareas with atom.

And, relevant for the discussion here, the same browser extension can
interact with similar extensions for other editors, including Emacs.

> One authored by Google, no less.

Isn't Atom a product of Github, and therefore technically authored by
Microsoft?

Best wishes,
Thibaut

* Re: Org-Mode compared to Jupyter
@ 2022-11-05 13:56     ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2022-11-05 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tomas; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* tomas@tuxteam.de <tomas@tuxteam.de> [2022-11-04 14:58]:
> For me, this is actually the main disqualifier. There's no worse nightmare
> (for me) than editing text in a browser.

We can edit anything with Emacs, including text in browsers:

tecosaur/emacs-everywhere: System-wide popup Emacs windows for quick edits:
https://github.com/tecosaur/emacs-everywhere

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns