* Help with hooks
@ 2023-09-03 17:05 Maske
From: Maske @ 2023-09-03 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi

I am having constantly troubles with hooks (basically, I don't know how
them work).

For example, this has no effect, is it possible to know why?

(add-hook 'org-pomodoro-started-hook 'toggle-tool-bar-mode-from-frame)
(add-hook 'org-pomodoro-started-hook 'toggle-menu-bar-mode-from-frame)
(add-hook 'org-pomodoro-started-hook 'toggle-tab-bar-mode-from-frame)

Best regards

* Re: Help with hooks
@ 2023-09-04 17:58 ` tpeplt
       [not found]   ` <87cyyxpzhp.fsf@dataswamp.org>
From: tpeplt @ 2023-09-04 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maske; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

that has been posted to gnu.emacs.help as well.

Maske <maske1foro@gmail.com> writes:

> I am having constantly troubles with hooks (basically, I don't know
> how them work).
>
> For example, this has no effect, is it possible to know why?
>
> (add-hook 'org-pomodoro-started-hook 'toggle-tool-bar-mode-from-frame)
> (add-hook 'org-pomodoro-started-hook 'toggle-menu-bar-mode-from-frame)
> (add-hook 'org-pomodoro-started-hook 'toggle-tab-bar-mode-from-frame)

Some information that might help in diagnosing your problem:

1. Type C-h v org-pomodoro-started-hook

   and then paste that description (from the *Help* buffer) into a
   message to this group.

2. Type C-h f toggle-tool-bar-mode-from-frame

   and then paste that description into the same message.

It is possible, for example, that the Emacs Lisp code that reads the
‘org-pomodoro-started-hook’ variable is not running, for some reason.

Also, if possible, provide whatever other code or documentation about
the package that you are using that specified setting the

@ 2023-09-09 10:41     ` Maske
From: Maske @ 2023-09-09 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Emanuel

I don't know how to use gnus.

I subscribed to help-gnu-emacs from here:

Is it obsolete? Can I find there the list you are proposing?

Bests

El 04/09/2023 a las 20:25, Emanuel Berg escribió:
> tpeplt wrote:
>
>> The following message is a courtesy copy of an article that
>> has been posted to gnu.emacs.help as well.
> Consider using Gmane's gmane.emacs.help instead of
> Usenet's gnu.emacs.help and a manual CC to the ML, what you do
> is a poor man's gateway, but we already have an excellent one
> for that ...
>
> (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.gmane.io"))

* Re: Help with hooks
       [not found]   ` <87cyyxpzhp.fsf@dataswamp.org>
@ 2023-09-10 12:03   ` Maske
From: Maske @ 2023-09-10 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tpeplt; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi tpeplt!

I suppose then, that I used correctly the hook, but there could be a bug
in the package?

I am yanking below what you asked for:

1. Type C-h v org-pomodoro-started-hook

org-pomodoro-started-hook is a variable defined in org-pomodoro.el.

Value
(toggle-tab-bar-mode-from-frame
  toggle-menu-bar-mode-from-frame
  toggle-tool-bar-mode-from-frame
  delete-other-windows)

View as literal Set

Documentation
Hooks run when a pomodoro is started.

References
References in org-pomodoro.el:
(defvar org-pomodoro-started-hook ...) 1 reference

Find all references

Debugging
Forget

Source Code
;; Defined in ~/.emacs.d/elpa/org-pomodoro-20220318.1618/org-pomodoro.el

Symbol Properties
variable-documentation
   "Hooks run when a pomodoro is started."

2. Type C-h f toggle-tool-bar-mode-from-frame

toggle-tool-bar-mode-from-frame is an autoloaded, interactive and
natively compiled function defined in tool-bar.el.

Signature
(toggle-tool-bar-mode-from-frame &optional ARG)

Documentation
Toggle tool bar on or off, based on the status of the current frame.

See tool-bar-mode for more information.

Key Bindings
This command is not in any keymaps.

References
toggle-tool-bar-mode-from-frame is unused in tool-bar.el.

Find all references Functions used by toggle-tool-bar-mode-from-frame

Debugging
Enable edebug Enable tracing
Disassemble Forget

Source Code
;; Defined in z:/emacs-i686/emacs-29.1/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/tool-bar.el
;;;###autoload
;; Used in the Show/Hide menu, to have the toggle reflect the current frame.
(defun toggle-tool-bar-mode-from-frame (&optional arg)
   "Toggle tool bar on or off, based on the status of the current frame.
See `tool-bar-mode' for more information."
   (interactive (list (or current-prefix-arg 'toggle)))
   (if (eq arg 'toggle)
       (tool-bar-mode (if (> (frame-parameter nil 'tool-bar-lines) 0) 0 1))
     (tool-bar-mode arg)))

Symbol Properties
event-symbol-element-mask
   (toggle-tool-bar-mode-from-frame 0)
event-symbol-elements
   (toggle-tool-bar-mode-from-frame)
function-history
   ("tool-bar.elc"
    (autoload "tool-bar"
      ("loaddefs.elc" . 1270775)
      t nil))
modifier-cache
   ((0 . toggle-tool-bar-mode-from-frame))

El 04/09/2023 a las 19:58, tpeplt escribió:
> The following message is a courtesy copy of an article
> that has been posted to gnu.emacs.help as well.
>
> Maske<maske1foro@gmail.com>  writes:
>
>> I am having constantly troubles with hooks (basically, I don't know
>> how them work).
>>
>> For example, this has no effect, is it possible to know why?
>>
>> (add-hook 'org-pomodoro-started-hook 'toggle-tool-bar-mode-from-frame)
>> (add-hook 'org-pomodoro-started-hook 'toggle-menu-bar-mode-from-frame)
>> (add-hook 'org-pomodoro-started-hook 'toggle-tab-bar-mode-from-frame)
>>
> Some information that might help in diagnosing your problem:
>
> 1. Type C-h v org-pomodoro-started-hook
>
>     and then paste that description (from the *Help* buffer) into a
>     message to this group.
>
> 2. Type C-h f toggle-tool-bar-mode-from-frame
>
>     and then paste that description into the same message.
>
> It is possible, for example, that the Emacs Lisp code that reads the
> ‘org-pomodoro-started-hook’ variable is not running, for some reason.
>
> Also, if possible, provide whatever other code or documentation about
> the package that you are using that specified setting the
> ‘org-pomodoro-started-hook’ variable.
>
> --

* Re: Help with hooks
@ 2023-09-10 20:43       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2023-09-10 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Maske wrote:

> I don't know how to use gnus.
>
> I subscribed to help-gnu-emacs from here:
>
> Is it obsolete? Can I find there the list you are proposing?

No, the list you refer to is fine, the Usenet group
gnu.emacs.help is obsolete and the gateway to the list isn't
operational anymore, however if you want the Usenet experience
and interface there is gmane.emacs.help which in terms of
information is equivalent to the mailing list.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: Help with hooks
@ 2023-09-10 23:36     ` tpeplt
From: tpeplt @ 2023-09-10 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maske; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Maske <maske1foro@gmail.com> writes:

> Source Code
> ;; Defined in ~/.emacs.d/elpa/org-pomodoro-20220318.1618/org-pomodoro.el

This might have no effect on your problem, but when I looked at the
‘org-pomodoro’ package in the ‘melpa-stable’ repository
(http://stable.melpa.org/packages/), the version number for the package
is 2.1.0, rather than your package’s version number (20220318.1618).
Either this is an experimental version of the package or there is an
upgrade that you could install for ‘org-pomodoro’.

The function ‘org-pomodoro-start’ in the package calls ‘run-hooks’ using
‘org-pomodoro-started-hook’.  Is it possible that this function is not
being called in your setup?  You might want to call that function
directly to see whether it would cause the toggling that you want.
(Unfortunately, the package does not install any documentation to
describe how it should be used.)  In addition to running the hooks, the
package attempts to play a sound.  You might not hear the sound
depending on your configuration, but if you do hear the start sound,
then that should indicate that ‘org-pomodoro-start’ also attempted to
run the hooks.

Here is the definition of the function as it exists in org-pomodoro.el
version 2.1.0:

(defun org-pomodoro-start (&optional state)
  "Start the `org-pomodoro` timer.
The argument STATE is optional.  The default state is `:pomodoro`."
  (when org-pomodoro-timer (cancel-timer org-pomodoro-timer))

  ;; add the org-pomodoro-mode-line to the global-mode-string
  (unless global-mode-string (setq global-mode-string '("")))
  (unless (memq 'org-pomodoro-mode-line global-mode-string)
    (setq global-mode-string (append global-mode-string
                                     '(org-pomodoro-mode-line))))

  (org-pomodoro-set (or state :pomodoro))

  (when (eq org-pomodoro-state :pomodoro)
    (org-pomodoro-maybe-play-sound :start)
    (run-hooks 'org-pomodoro-started-hook))
  (org-pomodoro-update-mode-line)
  (org-agenda-maybe-redo))

* Re: Help with hooks
@ 2023-09-11 13:00       ` tpeplt
From: tpeplt @ 2023-09-11 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maske; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

tpeplt <tpeplt@gmail.com> writes:

> Maske <maske1foro@gmail.com> writes:
>

>> Source Code
>> ;; Defined in ~/.emacs.d/elpa/org-pomodoro-20220318.1618/org-pomodoro.el
>>

> This might have no effect on your problem, but when I looked at the
> ‘org-pomodoro’ package in the ‘melpa-stable’ repository
> (http://stable.melpa.org/packages/), the version number for the package
> is 2.1.0, rather than your package’s version number (20220318.1618).
> Either this is an experimental version of the package or there is an
> upgrade that you could install for ‘org-pomodoro’.

In addition to ‘org-pomodoro’, the package depends on three other
packages: ‘alert’, version 1.3, ‘gntp’, version 0.1, and ‘log4e’,
version 0.3.3.  Updating the ‘org-pomodoro’ package might also update
these package versions and have an effect on your problem.

@ 2023-09-12 13:02         ` Maske
From: Maske @ 2023-09-12 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs, Emanuel Berg

Hi Emmanuel

I subscribed via e-mail to the list. I am using Thunderbird to read the
digests. I have never used Usenet, although I have heard about it. I
know I could use better tools to use mailing lists, but I don't
understand the options you are offering to help me. If you want to share
some more information, I will pleasantly read it.

Thanks!

El 10/09/2023 a las 22:43, Emanuel Berg escribió:
> Maske wrote:
>
>> I don't know how to use gnus.
>>
>> I subscribed to help-gnu-emacs from here:
>>
>> Is it obsolete? Can I find there the list you are proposing?
> No, the list you refer to is fine, the Usenet group
> gnu.emacs.help is obsolete and the gateway to the list isn't
> operational anymore, however if you want the Usenet experience
> and interface there is gmane.emacs.help which in terms of
> information is equivalent to the mailing list.

* Re: Mailing lists help [it was: Help with hooks]
@ 2023-09-12 13:16           ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2023-09-12 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maske; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Emanuel Berg

Maske <maske1foro@gmail.com> writes:

> I subscribed via e-mail to the list. I am using Thunderbird to read
> the digests. I have never used Usenet, although I have heard about
> it. I know I could use better tools to use mailing lists, but I don't
> understand the options you are offering to help me. If you want to
> share some more information, I will pleasantly read it.

Don't be misled by the didactic feedback one individual perpetually
feels obliged to offer: it's okay for you to read and post to the list
with Thunderbird or any other MUA you are accustomed to.

* Re: Mailing lists help [it was: Help with hooks]
@ 2023-09-12 13:28             ` Maske
From: Maske @ 2023-09-12 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Emanuel Berg

Thanks, Po Lu

Anyway I feel my use of mailing lists is, as said before, a poor man's approach.

For example, I get the digest with the index in my mail, and I have to search manually the message I am interested in.
If, to avoid that, I go directly to the website to read messages ordered by thread, if I want to answer to one of them, I push the "reply via email to" button, but I only get a blank new message to the author, in the mail client, without the original mail body cited nor the direction of the mail list.

Bests!

@ 2023-09-12 13:39               ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2023-09-12 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maske; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Emanuel Berg

Maske <maske1foro@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks, Po Lu
>
> Anyway I feel my use of mailing lists is, as said before, a poor man's approach.
>
> For example, I get the digest with the index in my mail, and I have to
> search manually the message I am interested in.

Have you considered disabling digest aggregation for your subscription?

You should have received a confirmation e-mail upon first subscribing to
this list containing a URL that enables you to configure your
subscription.  IIUC, it can be disabled from there.

Incidentally, maybe we should disable digests wholesale, like the
FreeType developers have recently done on their list, particularly given
that help-gnu-emacs is a list where users seek assistance, not one where
announcements or other newsworthy materials are posted.  It's a
counterproductive misfeature whose only consequence appears to be
confusion on the part of new subscribers.

* Re: Mailing lists help [it was: Help with hooks]
@ 2023-09-12 15:10           ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2023-09-12 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello Maske,

On Tuesday, 12 Sep 2023 at 15:02, Maske wrote:
> Hi Emmanuel
>
> I subscribed via e-mail to the list. I am using Thunderbird to read
> the digests. I have never used Usenet, although I have heard about
> it. I know I could use better tools to use mailing lists, but I don't
> understand the options you are offering to help me.

Using TB (or any other email tool) is perfectly fine.

If, however, you wish to access the newsgroup Emmanuel suggested,
gmane.emacs.help, you should be able to do that via TB as well; at
least, the last time I used TB, which was some years ago now, it had
support for newsgroups.

If you do wish to try using "news" instead of "email", the newsgroup
server is "news.gwene.org" and the newsgroup to subscribe to is
"gmane.emacs.help".  You might wish to try this but email subscription,
as you have already, is perfectly fine.

--
Eric S Fraga via gnus (Emacs 30.0.50 2023-08-14) on Debian 12.1

@ 2023-09-12 16:04             ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2023-09-12 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eric S Fraga wrote:

>> I subscribed via e-mail to the list. I am using Thunderbird
>> to read the digests. I have never used Usenet, although
>> I have heard about it. I know I could use better tools to
>> use mailing lists, but I don't understand the options you
>> are offering to help me.
>
> Using TB (or any other email tool) is perfectly fine.
>
> If, however, you wish to access the newsgroup Emmanuel
> suggested, gmane.emacs.help, you should be able to do that
> via TB as well; at least, the last time I used TB, which was
> some years ago now, it had support for newsgroups.
>
> If you do wish to try using "news" instead of "email", the
> newsgroup server is "news.gwene.org" and the newsgroup to
> subscribe to is "gmane.emacs.help". You might wish to try
> this but email subscription, as you have already, is
> perfectly fine.

(or "MUA", mail user agent) is fine, including Thunderbird,
they should vary a great deal tho in what capacity they can do
mail splitting to organize the material neatly.

The Gmane group is gmane.emacs.help and the server is
news.gmane.io - I have not heard of anyone using Gmane with
any other client than Emacs Gnus. Anyway here the organizing
is implied/automatic.

The material should be the same on help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org and
gmane.emacs.help because that is what Gmane does, it is
a mail-to-NNTP gateway, and that particular newsgroup is
linked specifically to the mentioned mailing list.

The Usenet group is gnu.emacs.help - a free-of-charge server
is news.eternal-september.org. Any client is fine (etc)

However, previously there was a gateway operational for
gnu.emacs.help and help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org as well, but I heard
it doesn't work anymore. If it doesn't, I wouldn't recommend
using gnu.emacs.help since any traffic there won't turn up on
the mailing list, and vice versa.

--

@ 2023-09-12 17:27             ` Maske
From: Maske @ 2023-09-12 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks. Working!!!!

I suspected there should be a better way.
Thanks Emmanuel, Po, and Eric for this unexpected win!

@ 2023-09-15 13:46       ` Maske
From: Maske @ 2023-09-15 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi, tpeplt

I think version 20220318.1618 is newer than  2.1.0. It's from MELPA.
Do you think I should go for the older version?

I can hear the sounds related to org-pomodoro start and finishing.

Anyway, I will try to associate those functions to a keybind, instead of
a hook, so they work. Maybe I will come for help to do this :p

Thanks!

On 11/09/2023 1:36, tpeplt wrote:
> Maske <maske1foro@gmail.com> writes:
>

>> Source Code
>> ;; Defined in ~/.emacs.d/elpa/org-pomodoro-20220318.1618/org-pomodoro.el
>>

> This might have no effect on your problem, but when I looked at the
> ‘org-pomodoro’ package in the ‘melpa-stable’ repository
> (http://stable.melpa.org/packages/), the version number for the package
> is 2.1.0, rather than your package’s version number (20220318.1618).
> Either this is an experimental version of the package or there is an
> upgrade that you could install for ‘org-pomodoro’.
>
> The function ‘org-pomodoro-start’ in the package calls ‘run-hooks’ using
> ‘org-pomodoro-started-hook’.  Is it possible that this function is not
> being called in your setup?  You might want to call that function
> directly to see whether it would cause the toggling that you want.
> (Unfortunately, the package does not install any documentation to
> describe how it should be used.)  In addition to running the hooks, the
> package attempts to play a sound.  You might not hear the sound
> depending on your configuration, but if you do hear the start sound,
> then that should indicate that ‘org-pomodoro-start’ also attempted to
> run the hooks.
>
> Here is the definition of the function as it exists in org-pomodoro.el
> version 2.1.0:
>
> (defun org-pomodoro-start (&optional state)
>    "Start the `org-pomodoro` timer.
> The argument STATE is optional.  The default state is `:pomodoro`."
>    (when org-pomodoro-timer (cancel-timer org-pomodoro-timer))
>
>    ;; add the org-pomodoro-mode-line to the global-mode-string
>    (unless global-mode-string (setq global-mode-string '("")))
>    (unless (memq 'org-pomodoro-mode-line global-mode-string)
>      (setq global-mode-string (append global-mode-string
>                                       '(org-pomodoro-mode-line))))
>
>    (org-pomodoro-set (or state :pomodoro))
>
>    (when (eq org-pomodoro-state :pomodoro)
>      (org-pomodoro-maybe-play-sound :start)
>      (run-hooks 'org-pomodoro-started-hook))
>    (org-pomodoro-update-mode-line)
>    (org-agenda-maybe-redo))
>
> --

* Re: Help with hooks
@ 2023-09-16  3:09         ` tpeplt
From: tpeplt @ 2023-09-16  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maske; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Maske <kediez@gmail.com> writes:

> I think version 20220318.1618 is newer than  2.1.0. It's from MELPA.
> Do you think I should go for the older version?

It doesn’t hurt to try the other version since you can always revert.

> I can hear the sounds related to org-pomodoro start and finishing.

Something simple to try:

1. Remove (comment out) the three forms that add values to
‘org-pomodoro-started-hook’.

2. Add the following:

(defun my-simple-proc ()
  "A procedure to add to a hook variable."
  (message "running my hook..."))

(add-hook 'org-pomodoro-started-hook 'my-simple-proc)

3. Test the pomodoro feature.  After you hear the sounds, you should
view your *Messages* buffer (type C-h e).  It should contain the message
"running my hook...".

If it does, then you are using ‘org-pomodoro’ properly, and you will
need to investigate how to use the toggle functions that you want to
activate.