* Synchronization between help-gnu-emacs and gnu.emacs.help
@ 2023-08-30 18:35 tpeplt
From: tpeplt @ 2023-08-30 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

At http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/documentation.html is
the following text:

> Asking for help
>
> To ask for help with GNU Emacs, use the mailing list
> help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org or the newsgroup gnu.emacs.help. The
> mailing list and newsgroup are linked: messages posted on
> one appear on the other as well.

Is this text correct?  Are messages that are sent to either of
these forwarded to the other?  Or is this description out of
date?

Are the other gnu.emacs.* groups still used?

* Re: Synchronization between help-gnu-emacs and gnu.emacs.help
@ 2023-08-30 18:53 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-08-30 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: tpeplt@gmail.com
> Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 14:35:00 -0400
>

> At http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/documentation.html is
> the following text:
>
> > Asking for help
> >
> > To ask for help with GNU Emacs, use the mailing list
> > help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org or the newsgroup gnu.emacs.help. The
> > mailing list and newsgroup are linked: messages posted on
> > one appear on the other as well.
>
> Is this text correct?  Are messages that are sent to either of
> these forwarded to the other?  Or is this description out of
> date?

As far as we know, yes, it is correct.

* Re: Synchronization between help-gnu-emacs and gnu.emacs.help
@ 2023-08-30 19:27   ` tpeplt
From: tpeplt @ 2023-08-30 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: tpeplt@gmail.com
>> Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 14:35:00 -0400
>>

>> At http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/documentation.html is
>> the following text:
>>
>> > Asking for help
>> >
>> > To ask for help with GNU Emacs, use the mailing list
>> > help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org or the newsgroup gnu.emacs.help. The
>> > mailing list and newsgroup are linked: messages posted on
>> > one appear on the other as well.
>>
>> Is this text correct?  Are messages that are sent to either of
>> these forwarded to the other?  Or is this description out of
>> date?
>
> As far as we know, yes, it is correct.

Thank you.  I am not seeing the mailing list (help-gnu-emacs)
messages in the newsgroup (gnu.emacs.help), or vice versa.
This is using Emacs 28.2, gnus v5.13, and
news.eternal-september.org (possibly the source of the
problem?).

Based on the sparse messages in gnu.emacs.help, others who are
posting there are seeing the same problem (and lack of
messages that are sent to help-gnu-emacs mailing list).

* Re: Synchronization between help-gnu-emacs and gnu.emacs.help
@ 2023-08-31  0:36 ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2023-08-31  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tpeplt; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

tpeplt@gmail.com writes:

> At http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/documentation.html is
> the following text:
>
>> Asking for help
>>
>> To ask for help with GNU Emacs, use the mailing list
>> help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org or the newsgroup gnu.emacs.help. The
>> mailing list and newsgroup are linked: messages posted on
>> one appear on the other as well.
>
> Is this text correct?  Are messages that are sent to either of
> these forwarded to the other?  Or is this description out of
> date?
>
> Are the other gnu.emacs.* groups still used?
>
> --

The gateway is currently nonfunctional for want of a site to peer with.
If you have any suggestions, mail them to sysadmin@gnu.org.

* Re: Synchronization between help-gnu-emacs and gnu.emacs.help
@ 2023-08-31  1:13   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2023-08-31  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Po Lu wrote:

> The gateway is currently nonfunctional for want of a site to
> peer with. If you have any suggestions, mail them to
> sysadmin@gnu.org.

You can still have the Usenet experience and advantages - in
terms of the interface at least LOL - with Gnus and Gmane, so
with gmane.emacs.help instead of gnu.emacs.help corresponding
to the ML help-gnu-emacs.

Real Usenet can still be accessed with Gnus as well, free of
charge with news.eternal-september.org - however unless you
have your own business going there, I don't know I can
recommend it to anyone, really.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: Synchronization between help-gnu-emacs and gnu.emacs.help
@ 2023-09-01 12:34   ` tpeplt
From: tpeplt @ 2023-09-01 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

that has been posted to gnu.emacs.help as well.

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

>> Are the other gnu.emacs.* groups still used?
>>
>> --
>
> The gateway is currently nonfunctional for want of a site to peer with.
> If you have any suggestions, mail them to sysadmin@gnu.org.

Thank you for the information about the problem.

Would it be helpful/useful to include a "Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help"
the newsgroup to add a "Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org".)