* c++-mode does not support C-h S?
@ 2023-03-05 21:11 Sergey Organov
From: Sergey Organov @ 2023-03-05 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

In a buffer with c++-mode major mode, pressing C-h S causes appearance
of the prompt "Use symbol help mode: " in the minibuffer that, according
to the manual, means c++-mode does not support info-lookup-symbol?:

 If you use C-h S in a major mode that does not support it, it asks you
 to specify the symbol help mode. You should enter a command such as
 c-mode that would select a major mode which C-h S does support.

How do I configure c++-mode to use c-mode to lookup symbols, and why
it's not configured this way by default?

Thanks,
-- Sergey Organov

* Re: c++-mode does not support C-h S?
@ 2023-03-06 12:36 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-03-06 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Sergey Organov <sorganov@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2023 00:11:02 +0300
>
> In a buffer with c++-mode major mode, pressing C-h S causes appearance
> of the prompt "Use symbol help mode: " in the minibuffer that, according
> to the manual, means c++-mode does not support info-lookup-symbol?:
>
>  If you use C-h S in a major mode that does not support it, it asks you
>  to specify the symbol help mode. You should enter a command such as
>  c-mode that would select a major mode which C-h S does support.

If you type "c-mode RET" at the prompt, does the feature work then?

> How do I configure c++-mode to use c-mode to lookup symbols

Copy the two info-lookup-maybe-add-help blocks in info-look.el that
reference c-mode and make them reference c++-mode.

> and why it's not configured this way by default?

Because the _real_ documentation of C++ is usually not installed on
the end-user systems.

* Re: c++-mode does not support C-h S?
@ 2023-03-06 13:13   ` Sergey Organov
From: Sergey Organov @ 2023-03-06 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Sergey Organov <sorganov@gmail.com>
>> Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2023 00:11:02 +0300
>>
>> In a buffer with c++-mode major mode, pressing C-h S causes appearance
>> of the prompt "Use symbol help mode: " in the minibuffer that, according
>> to the manual, means c++-mode does not support info-lookup-symbol?:
>>
>>  If you use C-h S in a major mode that does not support it, it asks you
>>  to specify the symbol help mode. You should enter a command such as
>>  c-mode that would select a major mode which C-h S does support.
>
> If you type "c-mode RET" at the prompt, does the feature work then?

Yes, it does. It finds symbols in GNU C library info files alright then.

>> How do I configure c++-mode to use c-mode to lookup symbols
>
> Copy the two info-lookup-maybe-add-help blocks in info-look.el that
> reference c-mode and make them reference c++-mode.

Thanks for the hint, will try.

>> and why it's not configured this way by default?
>
> Because the _real_ documentation of C++ is usually not installed on
> the end-user systems.

GNU Standard C++ Library v3 (documentation files) are likely to be
installed on Linux hosts, I think.

Also, C library is still accessible from C++, so search in GNU C info
files what was not found in C++ seems to be a good idea as well.

@ 2023-03-06 14:16     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-03-06 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Sergey Organov <sorganov@gmail.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2023 16:13:35 +0300
>
> >> and why it's not configured this way by default?
> >
> > Because the _real_ documentation of C++ is usually not installed on
> > the end-user systems.
>
> GNU Standard C++ Library v3 (documentation files) are likely to be
> installed on Linux hosts, I think.

In Info format?  I could only find it in HTML format.

> Also, C library is still accessible from C++, so search in GNU C info
> files what was not found in C++ seems to be a good idea as well.

Maybe, not sure.  Feel free to file a feature-request bug report to
that effect.

* Re: c++-mode does not support C-h S?
@ 2023-03-06 15:49       ` Sergey Organov
From: Sergey Organov @ 2023-03-06 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Sergey Organov <sorganov@gmail.com>
>> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>> Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2023 16:13:35 +0300

>> > Because the _real_ documentation of C++ is usually not installed on
>> > the end-user systems.
>>
>> GNU Standard C++ Library v3 (documentation files) are likely to be
>> installed on Linux hosts, I think.
>
> In Info format?  I could only find it in HTML format.

You are right. Entirely unexpected from a GNU project.

Thanks,
-- Sergey

* Re: c++-mode does not support C-h S?
@ 2023-03-06 15:56         ` Arsen Arsenović