From: Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net>
To: Joseph Turner <joseph@breatheoutbreathe.in>
Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: package-vc-install fails to build docs
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 21:17:15 +0000	[thread overview]

Joseph Turner <joseph@breatheoutbreathe.in> writes:

> Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> writes:
>
>> Joseph Turner <joseph@breatheoutbreathe.in> writes:
>> You have to look at elpa-admin.el, the "reference interpretation" for
>> how package specifications are supposed to work.  It is located on a
>> separate branch in elpa.git (so that it can be shared between elpa.git
>> and nongnu.git).
>>
>>     https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/elpa.git/tree/elpa-admin.el?h=elpa-admin
>>
>>> Mind pointing me in the right direction?
>>
>> Ping me if you need anything else, and submit a bug report with a patch
>> as soon as you have something workable.  Add a

>> header so that I get notified as well.
>
> In elpa-admin.el, :make and :shell-command are handled by calling bwrap
> to sandbox the external processes. Should we do the same thing?

The issue is that bwrap is not available on all systems, and even if it
is it is not necessarily installed.  I would take the approach of
implementing this as an opt-in system first, then improving the security
perhaps even by writing a general process isolation library that could
be added to Emacs 30, using what systems are available or what the user
prefers (Guix and Nix could be useful here, there was a discussion on
this topic in the past for elpa-admin.el).