* customize option/variable
@ 2023-08-28 18:01 aalinovi
From: aalinovi @ 2023-08-28 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I am running emacs-29.1 on OpenBSD.

Anytime I type M-x customize-option, as soon as I start typing it changes from
customize-option to customize-variable.

Not knowing lisp, I would appreciate some assistance in correcting this.

Thank you

Arthur

* Re: customize option/variable
@ 2023-08-28 18:29 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-08-28 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: aalinovi@riseup.net
> Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 14:01:50 -0400
>
> I am running emacs-29.1 on OpenBSD.
>
> Anytime I type M-x customize-option, as soon as I start typing it changes from
> customize-option to customize-variable.
>
> Not knowing lisp, I would appreciate some assistance in correcting this.

There's no need to correct anything: an option in Emacs is also a
variable.  IOW, these two are synonyms.

* customize option/variable
@ 2023-08-28 19:21 aalinovi
From: aalinovi @ 2023-08-28 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thank you for the quick response Eli, but I am a bit confused.

In Mickey Petersen's book "Mastering Emacs" he says:

Hint
Apropos can sort results by relevancy. Type M-x
customize-option apropos-sort-by-scores
to customize it.

But if I do M-x customize-option which becomes customize-variable,
there is no apropos-sort-by scores variable to customize.

@ 2023-08-28 20:29 ` Juergen Fenn
From: Juergen Fenn @ 2023-08-28 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 28.08.23 um 21:21 Uhr schrieb aalinovi@riseup.net:
> In Mickey Petersen's book "Mastering Emacs" he says:
>
> Hint
> Apropos can sort results by relevancy. Type M-x
> customize-option apropos-sort-by-scores
> to customize it.
>
> But if I do M-x customize-option which becomes customize-variable,
> there is no apropos-sort-by scores variable to customize.

That's right, you cannot customise apropos-sort-by-scores this way, so
you have to do this in your init file. Maybe it has to do with a change
in Emacs 29.1. Mickey's book is about Emacs 28.

Regards,
Jürgen.

* Re: customize option/variable
@ 2023-08-28 21:13   ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2023-08-28 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juergen Fenn; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, 28 Aug 2023 22:29:53 +0200 Juergen Fenn <jfenn@gmx.net> wrote:

> Am 28.08.23 um 21:21 Uhr schrieb aalinovi@riseup.net:
>> In Mickey Petersen's book "Mastering Emacs" he says:
>>
>> Hint
>> Apropos can sort results by relevancy. Type M-x
>> customize-option apropos-sort-by-scores
>> to customize it.
>>
>> But if I do M-x customize-option which becomes customize-variable,
>> there is no apropos-sort-by scores variable to customize.
>

> That's right, you cannot customise apropos-sort-by-scores this way, so
> you have to do this in your init file. Maybe it has to do with a change
> in Emacs 29.1. Mickey's book is about Emacs 28.

You can customize apropos-sort-by-scores with M-x customize-option in
Emacs 29 (and 30), but apropos.el has to be loaded for Customize to
recognize the variable.  So you can do e.g. `M-x apropos' and the `M-x
customize-option apr TAB s TAB will complete to the variable and you can
customize it.

Steve Berman

* Re: customize option/variable
@ 2023-08-28 21:42     ` Juergen Fenn
From: Juergen Fenn @ 2023-08-28 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 28.08.23 um 23:13 Uhr schrieb Stephen Berman:
> You can customize apropos-sort-by-scores with M-x customize-option in
> Emacs 29 (and 30), but apropos.el has to be loaded for Customize to
> recognize the variable. So you can do e.g. `M-x apropos' and the `M-x
> customize-option apr TAB s TAB will complete to the variable and you can
> customize it.

Thank you for this hint. In fact, I was not aware that navigating in
this way to the full variable name would lead you to a different
"target" than, e.g., M-x describe-variable, or M-x customize-variable
without completing the search term by apropos.

Regards,
Jürgen.

* Re: customize option/variable
@ 2023-08-28 22:08       ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2023-08-28 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juergen Fenn; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, 28 Aug 2023 23:42:04 +0200 Juergen Fenn <jfenn@gmx.net> wrote:

> Am 28.08.23 um 23:13 Uhr schrieb Stephen Berman:
>> You can customize apropos-sort-by-scores with M-x customize-option in
>> Emacs 29 (and 30), but apropos.el has to be loaded for Customize to
>> recognize the variable. So you can do e.g. `M-x apropos' and the `M-x
>> customize-option apr TAB s TAB will complete to the variable and you can
>> customize it.
>
> Thank you for this hint. In fact, I was not aware that navigating in
> this way to the full variable name would lead you to a different
> "target" than, e.g., M-x describe-variable, or M-x customize-variable
> without completing the search term by apropos.

Completion with M-x describe-variable (aka C-h v) in effect searches all
Emacs Lisp libraries to find completion candidates, while
customize-variable just examines loaded libraries.  Calling M-x apropos
just loads the library (you could also use e.g. M-x load-library RET
apropos), you don't need to enter search terms to subsequently get
customize-variable to recognize options in the loaded library.

Steve Berman

* Re: customize option/variable
@ 2023-08-28 22:30         ` Juergen Fenn
From: Juergen Fenn @ 2023-08-28 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 29.08.23 um 00:08 Uhr schrieb Stephen Berman:
> On Mon, 28 Aug 2023 23:42:04 +0200 Juergen Fenn <jfenn@gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> Am 28.08.23 um 23:13 Uhr schrieb Stephen Berman:
>>> You can customize apropos-sort-by-scores with M-x customize-option in
>>> Emacs 29 (and 30), but apropos.el has to be loaded for Customize to
>>> recognize the variable. So you can do e.g. `M-x apropos' and the `M-x
>>> customize-option apr TAB s TAB will complete to the variable and you can
>>> customize it.
>>
>> Thank you for this hint. In fact, I was not aware that navigating in
>> this way to the full variable name would lead you to a different
>> "target" than, e.g., M-x describe-variable, or M-x customize-variable
>> without completing the search term by apropos.
>
> Completion with M-x describe-variable (aka C-h v) in effect searches all
> Emacs Lisp libraries to find completion candidates, while
> customize-variable just examines loaded libraries.  Calling M-x apropos
> just loads the library (you could also use e.g. M-x load-library RET
> apropos), you don't need to enter search terms to subsequently get
> customize-variable to recognize options in the loaded library.

Steve,

I must say, it _is_ fascinating to see how complex Emacs has been
crafted to what is is today. I used to write my thesis back then with
NTEmacs and then, after switching to the Mac, I first used Carbon Emacs,
and then Aquamacs. Now I am on an all new Emacs 29.1, and I am only
beginning to understand how it all fits together, configuring a "Vanilla
Emacs" from scratch. When is comes to search, I did only C-s for years.
This _is_ a powerful tool indeed. I like it.

Thanks, again, for explaining this.

Regards,
Jürgen.

* customize option/variable
@ 2023-08-28 22:35 aalinovi
From: aalinovi @ 2023-08-28 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

A simple and sincere thank you to all who took the time to respond.

It is appreciated.

Arthur