* emacs-mirror on github.com
@ 2020-08-19 14:23 Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2020-08-19 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

Who is running the following GitHub repository?

    https://github.com/emacs-mirror/emacs

Some people seem to be confused by this and are sending Pull Requests
there, which presumably means that the proposed patches never reach us.

I think we should find out who runs it and ask them to please:

1. Update the repository description to clearly explain where to report
   bugs, send patches and feature requests.

2. Close the open pull requests.  (The more PR's are open, the more it
   encourages others to open more.)

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas

* Re: emacs-mirror on github.com
@ 2020-08-19 16:49 ` Basil L. Contovounesios
From: Basil L. Contovounesios @ 2020-08-19 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas; +Cc: Emacs developers

Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se> writes:

> Who is running the following GitHub repository?
>
>     https://github.com/emacs-mirror/emacs

I don't know; see also:

https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/4bg3b6/what_is_the_emacs_github_mirror_for/

--
Basil

* Re: emacs-mirror on github.com
@ 2020-08-19 19:32 ` Philippe Vaucher
From: Philippe Vaucher @ 2020-08-19 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas, Jonas Bernoulli, steve; +Cc: Emacs developers

> Who is running the following GitHub repository?
>
>     https://github.com/emacs-mirror/emacs
>
> Some people seem to be confused by this and are sending Pull Requests
> there, which presumably means that the proposed patches never reach us.
>
> I think we should find out who runs it and ask them to please:
>
> 1. Update the repository description to clearly explain where to report
>    bugs, send patches and feature requests.
>
> 2. Close the open pull requests.  (The more PR's are open, the more it
>    encourages others to open more.)

Just adding @tarsius and @purcell to the discussion, because I'm pretty
sure at least one of them knows who to redirect to :-)

Kind regards,
Philippe

* Re: emacs-mirror on github.com
@ 2020-08-20  0:50 ` 황병희
From: 황병희 @ 2020-08-20  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

> I think we should find out who runs it and ask them to please:
>
> 1. Update the repository description to clearly explain where to report
>    bugs, send patches and feature requests.
>
> 2. Close the open pull requests.  (The more PR's are open, the more it
>    encourages others to open more.)
>
> Best regards,
> Stefan Kangas

I am very much AGREE with Stefan' opinion!!!

Sincerely, Byung-Hee

--
^고맙습니다 _救濟蒼生_ 감사합니다_^))//

* Re: emacs-mirror on github.com
@ 2020-08-20  1:18   ` Steve Purcell
From: Steve Purcell @ 2020-08-20  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philippe Vaucher; +Cc: Jonas Bernoulli, Stefan Kangas, Emacs developers

Yeah, that would be Jonas. :-)

@ 2020-08-20  3:08   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2020-08-20  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philippe Vaucher; +Cc: steve, jonas, stefan, emacs-devel

Is there any good reason for that repo to exist?
Maybe it should not.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: emacs-mirror on github.com
@ 2020-08-20  7:42     ` Basil L. Contovounesios
From: Basil L. Contovounesios @ 2020-08-20  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Purcell; +Cc: Jonas Bernoulli, Stefan Kangas, Emacs developers

Steve Purcell <steve@sanityinc.com> writes:

> Yeah, that would be Jonas. :-)

Are you sure you're thinking of

  https://github.com/emacs-mirror

and not Jonas'

  https://github.com/emacsmirror

?

--
Basil

* Re: emacs-mirror on github.com
@ 2020-08-20  9:30   ` Jonas Bernoulli
From: Jonas Bernoulli @ 2020-08-20  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philippe Vaucher, Stefan Kangas, steve; +Cc: Emacs developers

Philippe Vaucher <philippe.vaucher@gmail.com> writes:
> Just adding @tarsius and @purcell to the discussion, because I'm pretty
> sure at least one of them knows who to redirect to :-)

I don't know either.

I have tried to contact them by opening an issue, but they ignored that.
It's not possible to open issues in this repository anymore (or look at
old ones), but since Github doesn't allow disabling pull-requests, that
can still be used to attempt contact.  Just make sure to use a very
engaging subject line and be very patient. :/

     Jonas

* Re: emacs-mirror on github.com
@ 2020-08-20 11:20     ` Yuri Khan
From: Yuri Khan @ 2020-08-20 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonas Bernoulli; +Cc: steve, Stefan Kangas, Emacs developers

On Thu, 20 Aug 2020 at 16:32, Jonas Bernoulli <jonas@bernoul.li> wrote:

> Philippe Vaucher <philippe.vaucher@gmail.com> writes:
> > Just adding @tarsius and @purcell to the discussion, because I'm pretty
> > sure at least one of them knows who to redirect to :-)
>
> I don't know either.
>
> I have tried to contact them by opening an issue, but they ignored that.
> It's not possible to open issues in this repository anymore (or look at
> old ones), but since Github doesn't allow disabling pull-requests, that
> can still be used to attempt contact.  Just make sure to use a very
> engaging subject line and be very patient. :/

I see that the repository page displays the README from the root
directory. Maybe put a section in there saying “We know there are
mirrors on Github; none of those are official and if you send pull
requests they *will most likely* be ignored and you *may be but not
guaranteed to be* laughed at. Instead, please send your contributions
by invoking M-x report-emacs-bug”. (Rephrase for kindness if
necessary.)

* Re: emacs-mirror on github.com
@ 2020-08-20 23:20       ` Steve Purcell
From: Steve Purcell @ 2020-08-20 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Basil L. Contovounesios; +Cc: Jonas Bernoulli, Stefan Kangas, Emacs developers

> On 20 Aug 2020, at 19:42, Basil L. Contovounesios <contovob@tcd.ie> wrote:
>
> Are you sure you're thinking of
>
>  https://github.com/emacs-mirror
>
> and not Jonas'
>
>  https://github.com/emacsmirror

Indeed, sorry!

* Re: emacs-mirror on github.com
@ 2020-08-21  3:36       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2020-08-21  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Basil L. Contovounesios; +Cc: steve, jonas, stefan, emacs-devel

  > Are you sure you're thinking of

  >   https://github.com/emacs-mirror

  > and not Jonas'

  >   https://github.com/emacsmirror

The existence of two github repos with those names is confusing in
itself.

If those repos serve useful purposes, could people please move them
off of github?  We give github a failing grade on ethical grounds.
(See https://www.gnu.org/software/repo-criteria-evaluation.html.)

--
Dr Richard Stallman