* Re: Splitting and moving generic.el.
@ 2005-04-20  9:05 Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2005-04-20  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

For some reason I'm missing all mail to emacs-devel between 4 April and
8 April, so I had to look into the archives to find this being discussed.

2005-04-05  Lute Kamstra  <address@hidden>

        * generic.el: Commentary section cleanup.
        (generic): Delete.
        (generic-use-find-file-hook, generic-lines-to-scan)
        (generic-find-file-regexp, generic-ignore-files-regexp)
        (default-generic-mode, generic-mode-find-file-hook)
        (generic-mode-ini-file-find-file-hook): Move to generic-x.el.
        * generic-x.el (generic-x): Docstring fix.  Put it in the data group.
        (generic-use-find-file-hook, generic-lines-to-scan)
        (generic-find-file-regexp, generic-ignore-files-regexp)
        (default-generic-mode, generic-mode-find-file-hook)
        (generic-mode-ini-file-find-file-hook): Moved from generic.el.

This change seems to have caused problems. The only reference in my
.emacs to generic is a

(require 'generic-x)

which used to give me some extra generic based modes.

Now it just gives me an error:

An error has occured while loading ~/.emacs:

Symbol's value as variable is void: default-generic-mode

As an aside, I've found Emacs to be less stable since the feature freeze
was declared than it has been since the early days of 21.0 development.
I have very little time to spend on Emacs and the little time I have is
spent tracking down the cause of problems like this leaving no time for
any real bugfixing on the Windows port. I don't know what the answer is
to this, but I'm finding it frustrating that after a year of feature
freeze, people are still shuffling code around between files and
directories and renaming variables while the manuals still need more
proofreading and real bugs need fixing.

* Splitting and moving generic.el.
@ 2005-03-30  9:03 Lute Kamstra
From: Lute Kamstra @ 2005-03-30  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

generic.el currently contains two facilities:

1. Defining major modes by means of define-generic-mode.

2. The definition of default-generic-mode and some setup code to use
   it automatically for some files.

I think 2. is a strange side-effect when you are using generic.el to
do 1.  So I propose to move 2. to generic-x.el, where it is more
appropriate.

And what about moving generic.el from lisp/ to lisp/emacs-lisp/?  That
seems the appropriate location.

Lute.