From: Max Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com>
To: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Why not set Emacs development workflow based on the popular git forges (GitHub, Bitbucket, Gitlab, ect)?
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 00:24:22 +0700	[thread overview]

On 10/09/2021 10:39, Richard Stallman wrote:
 >    > On 09/09/2021 00:34, Max Nikulin wrote:
>
>    > > Why do you believe that is not applicable to Emacs?  Similar to the
>    > > Linux kernel, Emacs is a large project with many subsystems that stretch
>    > > across a great amount of expertise domains.
>
>    > Sorry, I forgot that Emacs is a kind of OS, so it requires equal treatment.
>
> Emacs is not an operating system, and neither is Linux.

My apologizes. I had a hope the following:

 >    > More seriously, ...

was enough to show that I was kidding.

> Emacs is a text editor with other features.

Actually it is significantly more than just text editor and the joke was
in support of "Emacs is a large project with many subsystems that
stretch across a great amount of expertise domains." words by Po Lu.

People use Emacs as a mail user agent, a PDF viewer, even a window
manager, etc. Sometimes it is just convenient, sometimes it is a way to
minimize switching of UI context since there are conflicts between Emacs
and many other applications in respect to actions in response to key and
mouse events. Existing variety of Emacs features (including external
packages) should not be disregarded.

Maybe my words on Linux kernel and Emacs development workflows were not
clear enough. My opinion is the following:

- Development of Linux kernel is an interesting case for discussion
   on web UI vs. mail list workflow.
- Linux kernel development is email-based and rather successful,
   so it can be an argument that Emacs can continue using mail lists
   to propose and to discuss changes.
- The reason why current web UIs are not sufficient for Linux kernel
   is not applicable for Emacs. There are a lot of independent groups
   involved into kernel development while Emacs does not have such
   fragmentation so flexibility in respect to groups is unnecessary.
   Scales of projects are rather different (large and huge).
- Web UIs have features such as dashboard with status of submitted
   patches, so it is nice that Eli clearly expressed that developers
   do not mind change (hopefully mostly by adding new features)
   of workflow.
- I had no aim to tell that GitHub/GitLab workflow is better for Emacs.
   Certainly comfortable way for main developers is more important.
   My point was that the case of Linux kernel is not a blocker for Emacs
   and nothing more.