From: Max Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com>
To: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Why not set Emacs development workflow based on the popular git forges (GitHub, Bitbucket, Gitlab, ect)?
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 00:34:03 +0700	[thread overview]

On 08/09/2021 09:02, Po Lu wrote:
> Max Nikulin writes:
>
>> There is a technical reason why github is not suitable for Linux
>> kernel (and it is hardly to applicable to Emacs): it is impossible to
>> coordinate several groups of developers responsible for different
>> subsystems using github flavor of pull requests and bugs. For email it
>> is simply several Cc addresses:
>
> Why do you believe that is not applicable to Emacs?  Similar to the
> Linux kernel, Emacs is a large project with many subsystems that stretch
> across a great amount of expertise domains.

Sorry, I forgot that Emacs is a kind of OS, so it requires equal treatment.

More seriously, it is no more than my impression, so I admit, it may be
wrong.

Let's leave aside web UI vs. email aspect and concentrate on joining
groups and moving discussion or bug to another group feature.

Judging from

     git log --since 2020-09-01 --pretty="format:%an" \
         | sort | uniq -c | sort -n

number of really active authors (and committers, %cn) is not so high (25
developers with more than 20 commits). Development of kernel is much
more active and splitting into groups is mission critical otherwise
noise for each person would be too high.

Does Emacs have many mail lists dedicated to *development* of subsystems
(in other words, are there several apparent groups working on the same
repository)? Traffic in emacs-devel is high enough (roughly 1500
messages per month) however I am unsure that it is possible to split
into several mail lists with more narrow subjects.

I do not say that discussion never moves from one group to another. E.g.
recently cause of Org mode related problem was traced down to native
compilation bug. Tight collaboration of two groups was not necessary
however. Ability to just add "Cc" is convenient but while such events
are not frequent above, cost of separate tracking and discussions is
acceptable.

There are no defined criteria when it is better to split development
into relatively independent groups. Till such groups appear the feature
of coordination is not really important. (Features necessary for Emacs
developers are highlighted in sibling threads.)