* Keymap customization
@ 2002-09-23 10:23 Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2002-09-23 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi RMS and gang,

What is needed for the keymap customization support to be included in
Emacs?

Here are the open issues:

1. The defkeymap should generate a defvar.

2. The generation of new prefix keys is not supported.

3. We really should use a two-keymap solution in define-key.

Fixing #3 would also fix #2.

I am willing to solve #1 if that mean I can commit the code to the
Emacs CVS.  I'll also think about #2 then.

I believe #3 is the right thing, I'm not willing to do that work, but
I'll help anyone who volunteers.  But I don't think the current
suboptimal solution should be rejected if nobody volunteer to do #3.

The latest version is attached.

-- Per

[-- Attachment #2: Emacs Keymap customization support --]

* Re: Keymap customization
@ 2002-09-24  3:24 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-09-24  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    1. The defkeymap should generate a defvar.

    2. The generation of new prefix keys is not supported.

    3. We really should use a two-keymap solution in define-key.

    Fixing #3 would also fix #2.

    I am willing to solve #1 if that mean I can commit the code to the
    Emacs CVS.  I'll also think about #2 then.

Don't bother with doing #2 using the current data format, since #3
will take care of it.

Is anyone interested in doing #3 now?

* Re: Keymap customization
@ 2002-10-02  9:30   ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2002-10-02  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>     1. The defkeymap should generate a defvar.
>
>     2. The generation of new prefix keys is not supported.
>
>     3. We really should use a two-keymap solution in define-key.
>
>     Fixing #3 would also fix #2.
>
>     I am willing to solve #1 if that mean I can commit the code to the
>     Emacs CVS.  I'll also think about #2 then.
>
> Don't bother with doing #2 using the current data format, since #3
> will take care of it.
>
> Is anyone interested in doing #3 now?

Nobody seems to volunteer.

So do we give up, or use Alex' implementation?

As I said, I believe Alex' implementation will be forward compatible
with a define-key based solution, and I also believe this will be the
most important single improvement for ordinary users since Emacs 21.1,
so I believe we should go ahead with Alex' code.

* Re: Keymap customization
@ 2002-10-02 15:06     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2002-10-02 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >     1. The defkeymap should generate a defvar.
> >
> >     2. The generation of new prefix keys is not supported.
> >
> >     3. We really should use a two-keymap solution in define-key.
> >
> >     Fixing #3 would also fix #2.
> >
> >     I am willing to solve #1 if that mean I can commit the code to the
> >     Emacs CVS.  I'll also think about #2 then.
> >
> > Don't bother with doing #2 using the current data format, since #3
> > will take care of it.
> >
> > Is anyone interested in doing #3 now?
>
> Nobody seems to volunteer.
>
> So do we give up, or use Alex' implementation?

I vote to use Alex' code right away.

* Re: Keymap customization
@ 2002-10-02 19:23     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-10-02 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    As I said, I believe Alex' implementation will be forward compatible
    with a define-key based solution, and I also believe this will be the
    most important single improvement for ordinary users since Emacs 21.1,
    so I believe we should go ahead with Alex' code.

It would be better to do this than to make no change, but I asked Alex
if he would be willing to redo it the other way.

* Re: Keymap customization
@ 2002-10-03 22:38       ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2002-10-03 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Per Abrahamsen, emacs-devel

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/emacs@rum.cs.yale.edu> writes:

> > So do we give up, or use Alex' implementation?
>
> I vote to use Alex' code right away.

Me too.

* Re: Keymap customization
@ 2002-10-10 13:30       ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2002-10-10 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>     As I said, I believe Alex' implementation will be forward compatible
>     with a define-key based solution, and I also believe this will be the
>     most important single improvement for ordinary users since Emacs 21.1,
>     so I believe we should go ahead with Alex' code.
>
> It would be better to do this than to make no change, but I asked Alex
> if he would be willing to redo it the other way.

And what did he answer?

* Re: Keymap customization
@ 2002-10-10 20:11         ` Alex Schroeder
From: Alex Schroeder @ 2002-10-10 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:

> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>
>>     As I said, I believe Alex' implementation will be forward compatible
>>     with a define-key based solution, and I also believe this will be the
>>     most important single improvement for ordinary users since Emacs 21.1,
>>     so I believe we should go ahead with Alex' code.
>>
>> It would be better to do this than to make no change, but I asked Alex
>> if he would be willing to redo it the other way.
>
> And what did he answer?

He said: Not now...  :(

Alex.

* Re: Keymap customization
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-10-11 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    He said: Not now...  :(

In that case, can you install your current code now?

* Re: Keymap customization
@ 2002-10-11 18:04             ` Alex Schroeder
From: Alex Schroeder @ 2002-10-11 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>     He said: Not now...  :(
>
> In that case, can you install your current code now?

Per, can you do that for me?

Alex.

* Re: Keymap customization
@ 2002-10-12 13:01               ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2002-10-12 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alex Schroeder <alex@emacswiki.org> writes:

> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>
>>     He said: Not now...  :(
>>
>> In that case, can you install your current code now?
>
> Per, can you do that for me?

I can't get the code to work anymore, but I'll look into it.

* Re: Keymap customization
@ 2002-12-30 18:28                 ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2002-12-30 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sigh.  I hoped to find time to integrate the keymap customization code
in December, but failed.  And I know I won't find the time in January,
so if Alex would take over the task, that would be great...