Hi RMS and gang, What is needed for the keymap customization support to be included in Emacs? Here are the open issues: 1. The defkeymap should generate a defvar. 2. The generation of new prefix keys is not supported. 3. We really should use a two-keymap solution in define-key. Fixing #3 would also fix #2. I am willing to solve #1 if that mean I can commit the code to the Emacs CVS. I'll also think about #2 then. I believe #3 is the right thing, I'm not willing to do that work, but I'll help anyone who volunteers. But I don't think the current suboptimal solution should be rejected if nobody volunteer to do #3. The latest version is attached. -- Per