* (gnus) Allow gnus-retrieve-headers to return headers directly
@ 2021-01-24  9:15 Madhu
From: Madhu @ 2021-01-24  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello, I believe gnus commit 20add1cd22f977 has introduced some unwanted
behaviour. Let me describe an example: Assume I have a Group buffer line
for a foreign group like:

269: nntp+news.aioe.org:alt.quotations

I enter this group I arrange for it to ask me how many articles to
read: How many articles: Say I enter 20, I expect to see the last 20
messages (unread and ticked).

In this case I have 16 unread messages and 4 ticked articles, so I'd
see a mode line in the Summary buffer like

-UUU:@----F2  news:a.quotations [0] {16(+253) more}   89% L323   (Summary Plugged)  ---

and the Summary buffer would display only 20 lines.

However all ticked and cached articles are inserted in the Summary
buffer. So in this case I have some 400 Summary lines, while it should
have been only 20.  Can anyone confirm this regression?

* Re: (gnus) Allow gnus-retrieve-headers to return headers directly
@ 2021-02-12 19:27 ` Matt Armstrong
From: Matt Armstrong @ 2021-02-12 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Madhu, emacs-devel, Eric Abrahamsen

Madhu <enometh@meer.net> writes:

> Hello, I believe gnus commit 20add1cd22f977 has introduced some unwanted
> behaviour. Let me describe an example: Assume I have a Group buffer line
> for a foreign group like:
>
> 269: nntp+news.aioe.org:alt.quotations
>
> I enter this group I arrange for it to ask me how many articles to
> read: How many articles: Say I enter 20, I expect to see the last 20
> messages (unread and ticked).
>
> In this case I have 16 unread messages and 4 ticked articles, so I'd
> see a mode line in the Summary buffer like
>
> -UUU:@----F2  news:a.quotations [0] {16(+253) more}   89% L323   (Summary Plugged)  ---
>
> and the Summary buffer would display only 20 lines.
>
> However all ticked and cached articles are inserted in the Summary
> buffer. So in this case I have some 400 Summary lines, while it should
> have been only 20.  Can anyone confirm this regression?

+cc Eric for comment (he might have missed that this was a question
about his commit).

* Re: (gnus) Allow gnus-retrieve-headers to return headers directly
@ 2021-02-12 19:57   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2021-02-12 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Armstrong; +Cc: Madhu, emacs-devel

Matt Armstrong <matt@rfc20.org> writes:

> Madhu <enometh@meer.net> writes:
>
>> Hello, I believe gnus commit 20add1cd22f977 has introduced some unwanted
>> behaviour. Let me describe an example: Assume I have a Group buffer line
>> for a foreign group like:
>>
>> 269: nntp+news.aioe.org:alt.quotations
>>
>> I enter this group I arrange for it to ask me how many articles to
>> read: How many articles: Say I enter 20, I expect to see the last 20
>> messages (unread and ticked).
>>
>> In this case I have 16 unread messages and 4 ticked articles, so I'd
>> see a mode line in the Summary buffer like
>>
>> -UUU:@----F2  news:a.quotations [0] {16(+253) more}   89% L323   (Summary Plugged)  ---
>>
>> and the Summary buffer would display only 20 lines.
>>
>> However all ticked and cached articles are inserted in the Summary
>> buffer. So in this case I have some 400 Summary lines, while it should
>> have been only 20.  Can anyone confirm this regression?
>
> +cc Eric for comment (he might have missed that this was a question
> about his commit).

I've already reverted these changes! They're going to take a little more
thought, and a lot more testing, which I haven't found time to do yet.
Hopefully next weekend...

Thanks,
Eric