* Updating org-mode in Emacs
@ 2009-08-03 15:18 Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-08-03 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

Hi,

First of all my congratulations and thanks to the maintainers
and main developers for putting together the Emacs 23.1 release.

I remember reading a mail on this list (by Chong?), stating
that we can commit new features again to the trunk, but that
we are supposed to ask first.

So:  I want to install a massive update to Org-mode, in a few days.

Can I do that?

Thanks.

- Carsten

* Re: Updating org-mode in Emacs
@ 2009-08-03 18:27 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-08-03 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Emacs developers

> First of all my congratulations and thanks to the maintainers
> and main developers for putting together the Emacs 23.1 release.

> I remember reading a mail on this list (by Chong?), stating
> that we can commit new features again to the trunk, but that
> we are supposed to ask first.

> So:  I want to install a massive update to Org-mode, in a few days.

> Can I do that?

Yes, without any problem.

* Re: Updating org-mode in Emacs
@ 2009-08-07 11:37 ` CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2009-08-07 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

git pull shows org-export-latex.el is renamed to org-latex.el, but
Makefile.in is not revised to reflect this change, thus building fails.

--
Ubi bene, ibi patria

* Re: Updating org-mode in Emacs
@ 2009-08-07 14:44   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-08-07 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CHENG Gao; +Cc: Carsten Dominik, emacs-devel

> From: CHENG Gao <chenggao@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2009 19:37:04 +0800
>
> git pull shows org-export-latex.el is renamed to org-latex.el, but
> Makefile.in is not revised to reflect this change, thus building fails.

Should be fixed now, thanks.

* Re: Updating org-mode in Emacs
@ 2009-08-07 19:02 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2009-08-07 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Emacs developers

Carsten Dominik wrote:

> So:  I want to install a massive update to Org-mode, in a few days.

Once again, this has clobbered existing changes made to Org in the
Emacs CVS. For example, my changes to org-rmail. This seems to happen
every time Org gets updated.

I don't have the heart to investigate further exactly what may have
been lost in other files, since the changes appear as a single, 40000
line diff, with a single commmon, massive CVS commit log that just
duplicates the ChangeLog. I'm aware that this is the commit style
recommended by some people, but I find it unreadable with CVS.

Also, Daniel M German (listed as an org-protocol author) does not seem
to have a copyright assignment in copyright.list (although I am not
sure if that file is always definitive these days).

* Re: Updating org-mode in Emacs
@ 2009-08-07 22:12     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-08-07 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Carsten Dominik, emacs-devel, CHENG Gao

>> git pull shows org-export-latex.el is renamed to org-latex.el, but
>> Makefile.in is not revised to reflect this change, thus building fails.

> Should be fixed now, thanks.

Let me just here say that I hate this ELCFILES business.  Too much
trouble too little benefit.

* ELCFILES [was Re: Updating org-mode in Emacs]
@ 2009-08-08  2:38       ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2009-08-08  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> Let me just here say that I hate this ELCFILES business.  Too much
> trouble too little benefit.

Take it out if you feel strongly about it, or replace it with
something better.

It was the only way I could find to allow parallel byte-compiling that
was compatible with portable Makefile syntax. I certainly appreciate
the speed-up that allows.

The only trouble it causes AFAIK is an obvious build failure when a
lisp file is (re)moved or renamed (which is infrequent) without a
corresponding update of Makefile.in.

* Re: ELCFILES [was Re: Updating org-mode in Emacs]
@ 2009-08-08  7:03         ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2009-08-08  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

> It was the only way I could find to allow parallel byte-compiling that
> was compatible with portable Makefile syntax. I certainly appreciate
> the speed-up that allows.

Parallel byte-compiling without proper dependencies following
require/load does not work anyway.  You can get random build failures
when one process is writing the same elc file while another one is
reading it.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: Updating org-mode in Emacs
@ 2009-08-08 11:39   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-08-08 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Emacs developers

On Aug 7, 2009, at 9:02 PM, Glenn Morris wrote:

> Carsten Dominik wrote:
>
>> So:  I want to install a massive update to Org-mode, in a few days.
>
> Once again, this has clobbered existing changes made to Org in the
> Emacs CVS. For example, my changes to org-rmail. This seems to happen
> every time Org gets updated.

I do try *very* hard to find all changes that are made in Emacs
and to integrate them into my code base.  Obviously I am failing
to do this right.  Maybe I should stop updating the package in Emacs.

- Carsten

@ 2009-08-08 11:54   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-08-08 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Emacs developers

On Aug 7, 2009, at 9:02 PM, Glenn Morris wrote:

> Carsten Dominik wrote:
>
>> So:  I want to install a massive update to Org-mode, in a few days.
>
> Once again, this has clobbered existing changes made to Org in the
> Emacs CVS. For example, my changes to org-rmail. This seems to happen
> every time Org gets updated.
>
> I don't have the heart to investigate further exactly what may have
> been lost in other files, since the changes appear as a single, 40000
> line diff, with a single commmon, massive CVS commit log that just
> duplicates the ChangeLog. I'm aware that this is the commit style
> recommended by some people, but I find it unreadable with CVS.

What am I supposed to do if I cannot commit to Emacs for a long time
because of feature freeze and pretest, and if in the mean time the
changes accumulate to this amount?  I don't know a different way,
most certainly not using CVS.

Also, what else should I put into the commit message?  A long
time ago it was explained to me that this is *exactly* what should be
in there.

- Carsten

* Re: ELCFILES [was Re: Updating org-mode in Emacs]
@ 2009-08-08 18:51           ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2009-08-08 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org> writes:

  > Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:
  >
  > > It was the only way I could find to allow parallel byte-compiling that
  > > was compatible with portable Makefile syntax. I certainly appreciate
  > > the speed-up that allows.
  >
  > Parallel byte-compiling without proper dependencies following
  > require/load does not work anyway.  You can get random build failures
  > when one process is writing the same elc file while another one is
  > reading it.

Then can't we just not read elc files when byte compiling, just read the
original elisp?  If this is not acceptable all the time, we could at
least do it when bootstrapping...  Didn't someone mention patch to
implement this behavior?

* Re: Updating org-mode in Emacs
@ 2009-08-08 18:52     ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2009-08-08 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Emacs developers

>> Once again, this has clobbered existing changes made to Org in the
>> Emacs CVS. For example, my changes to org-rmail. This seems to happen
>> every time Org gets updated.
>
> What am I supposed to do if I cannot commit to Emacs for a long time
> because of feature freeze and pretest, and if in the mean time the
> changes accumulate to this amount?  I don't know a different way,
> most certainly not using CVS.

If you don't track Emacs CVS, we can try sending patches to you.  When
merging into the Emacs repository, you can avoid clobbering changes by
scanning lisp/org/ChangeLog for changes introduced since the last update
(there aren't many of these, since you do most of the commits).

* Re: Updating org-mode in Emacs
@ 2009-08-08 18:56       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-08-08 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel, carsten.dominik

> From: Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>
> Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2009 14:52:32 -0400
> Cc: Emacs developers <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> When merging into the Emacs repository, you can avoid clobbering
> changes by scanning lisp/org/ChangeLog for changes introduced since
> the last update

It would be more reliable to scan the output of "cvs log".

* Re: Updating org-mode in Emacs
@ 2009-08-08 19:19     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-08-08 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Emacs developers

> I do try *very* hard to find all changes that are made in Emacs
> and to integrate them into my code base.  Obviously I am failing
> to do this right.  Maybe I should stop updating the package in Emacs.

Or maybe you should try some other way (it shouldn't be hard): how do
you do it so far?

* Re: Updating org-mode in Emacs
@ 2009-08-08 19:20         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-08-08 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Chong Yidong, carsten.dominik, emacs-devel

>> When merging into the Emacs repository, you can avoid clobbering
>> changes by scanning lisp/org/ChangeLog for changes introduced since
>> the last update

> It would be more reliable to scan the output of "cvs log".

It's a lot more reliable and less work to use CVS (or Git) and let the
tool do the merge for you.

* Re: ELCFILES [was Re: Updating org-mode in Emacs]
@ 2009-08-08 20:04           ` Ken Raeburn
From: Ken Raeburn @ 2009-08-08 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: Emacs Development

On Aug 8, 2009, at 03:03, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> Parallel byte-compiling without proper dependencies following
> require/load does not work anyway.  You can get random build failures
> when one process is writing the same elc file while another one is
> reading it.

I think I ran into that failure once in recent months...
It could be dealt with by writing the compiled version to a temporary
name and renaming it into place once it's written.  Any other load
running in the meantime will see the old .elc file, older than the .el
file, or maybe there won't be a .elc file, and either way, we can have
the .el source loaded instead.

Ken

* Re: Updating org-mode in Emacs
@ 2009-08-08 22:41       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-08-08 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: Emacs developers, Carsten Dominik

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> Once again, this has clobbered existing changes made to Org in the
>>> Emacs CVS. For example, my changes to org-rmail. This seems to happen
>>> every time Org gets updated.
>>
>> What am I supposed to do if I cannot commit to Emacs for a long time
>> because of feature freeze and pretest, and if in the mean time the
>> changes accumulate to this amount?  I don't know a different way,
>> most certainly not using CVS.
>
> If you don't track Emacs CVS, we can try sending patches to you.

FWIW, I track Emacs CVS and forward patches to Carsten.

But, pride set aside, I could easily be replaced by a simple mechanism
that would send emails to Emacs maintainers when someone modifies a file
they are maintaining.  This has already been requested long ago.  Will
this be doable with bzr?  I know git has a simple hook system that lets
you do this.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Updating org-mode in Emacs
@ 2009-08-09  8:43         ` CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2009-08-09  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

*On Sun, 09 Aug 2009 06:41:31 +0800
* Also sprach Bastien <bastienguerry@googlemail.com>:

> But, pride set aside, I could easily be replaced by a simple mechanism
> that would send emails to Emacs maintainers when someone modifies a file
> they are maintaining.  This has already been requested long ago.  Will
> this be doable with bzr?  I know git has a simple hook system that lets
> you do this.

Maybe BundleBuggy[1] is the right tool. Bazaar(-NG) uses it, you can see
it running here[2].

Its website says

,----
| It works by scanning email from a mailing list, looking for patches.
| When it recognizes a patch, it adds it to the web listing of merge
| requests. Designated users can vote on whether approve the merge
| request, either via the web UI or by email.
`----

Footnotes:
[1]  http://code.aaronbentley.com/bundlebuggy/

[2]  http://bundlebuggy.aaronbentley.com/

* Re: Updating org-mode in Emacs
@ 2009-08-10 21:04         ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2009-08-10 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Chong Yidong, Carsten Dominik, Emacs developers

Bastien wrote:

> FWIW, I track Emacs CVS and forward patches to Carsten.
>
> But, pride set aside, I could easily be replaced by a simple mechanism
> that would send emails to Emacs maintainers when someone modifies a file
> they are maintaining.  This has already been requested long ago.

If you want such a service, you should open a Savannah help ticket.

AFAIK, mh-e has had such a thing for the past 4 years:

http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-devel@gnu.org/msg09797.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-01/msg00299.html

* Re: Updating org-mode in Emacs
@ 2009-08-10 22:06           ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2009-08-10 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Chong Yidong, Emacs developers, Carsten Dominik

Glenn Morris wrote:

> If you want such a service, you should open a Savannah help ticket.
>
> AFAIK, mh-e has had such a thing for the past 4 years:

Oh, I see this is not a new suggestion.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-11/msg00878.html

* Re: Updating org-mode in Emacs
@ 2009-08-17  7:08           ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-08-17  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Chong Yidong, Carsten Dominik, Emacs developers

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

> Bastien wrote:
>
>> FWIW, I track Emacs CVS and forward patches to Carsten.
>>
>> But, pride set aside, I could easily be replaced by a simple mechanism
>> that would send emails to Emacs maintainers when someone modifies a file
>> they are maintaining.  This has already been requested long ago.
>
> If you want such a service, you should open a Savannah help ticket.

I just did, thanks for the idea.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Updating org-mode in Emacs
@ 2009-08-17  7:10             ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-08-17  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Chong Yidong, Emacs developers, Carsten Dominik

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

> Glenn Morris wrote:
>
>> If you want such a service, you should open a Savannah help ticket.
>>
>> AFAIK, mh-e has had such a thing for the past 4 years:
>
> Oh, I see this is not a new suggestion.
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-11/msg00878.html

Actually, we have a system that forwards changes in emacs/lisp/org/* to
Carsten, but it's just a workaround, it would be nice to have something
more stable.

Best,

--
 Bastien