* Emacs with X11 on Mac OS X
@ 2002-08-26 22:39 Thomas F. Burdick
From: Thomas F. Burdick @ 2002-08-26 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm trying to get an Emacs with X11 support to run under Mac OS X
(10.1).  I got 20.7 and 21.2, which don't recognize the system type in
'configure', and tried feeding them a series of lies about what system
it was, to no avail.  So, I checked out the code in CVS this morning,
which makes it through 'configure', anyway, but dies during
'make bootstrap', with conflicting symbols in macterm.h and xterm.h.

So, does anyone have advice on how to proceed?  Have others built
Emacs with X11 support for OS X?  Should I be checking out a different
day's CVS?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I really do miss
having X11 support on this machine.

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |

* Re: Emacs with X11 on Mac OS X
@ 2002-08-26 22:54 ` Andrew Choi
From: Andrew Choi @ 2002-08-26 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> I'm trying to get an Emacs with X11 support to run under Mac OS X
> (10.1).  [...] So, I checked out the code in CVS this morning, which
> makes it through 'configure', anyway, but dies during 'make
> bootstrap', with conflicting symbols in macterm.h and xterm.h.
>
> So, does anyone have advice on how to proceed?  Have others built
> Emacs with X11 support for OS X?  [...]

From the file mac/INSTALL:

If you are building Emacs to run on Mac OS X and X Window, you need to
create a directory containing statically-linked X libraries.

  sudo mkdir /usr/X11R6/libstatic
  cd /usr/X11R6/libstatic
  sudo ln -s ../lib/lib*.a ../lib/X11 .

Instead of typing `./configure' above, type

  ./configure --without-carbon --with-x --x-libraries=/usr/X11R6/libstatic
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

* Re: Emacs with X11 on Mac OS X
@ 2002-08-27  0:12   ` Thomas F. Burdick
From: Thomas F. Burdick @ 2002-08-27  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: tfb, emacs-devel

Andrew Choi writes:
 > > I'm trying to get an Emacs with X11 support to run under Mac OS X
 > > (10.1).  [...] So, I checked out the code in CVS this morning, which
 > > makes it through 'configure', anyway, but dies during 'make
 > > bootstrap', with conflicting symbols in macterm.h and xterm.h.
 > >
 > > So, does anyone have advice on how to proceed?  Have others built
 > > Emacs with X11 support for OS X?  [...]
 >
 > From the file mac/INSTALL:

Whoops, sorry, I missed that file (I thought it was still just the OS
8/9 instructions).

I followed the instructions on making the statically-linked X11
libraries, and configured Emacs like this:

  $ mkdir /usr/local/packages/emacs-21-2002-08-29
  $ ./configure --without-carbon --with-x --x-libraries=/usr/X11R6/libstatic --prefix=/usr/local/packages/emacs-21-2002-08-26

I then ran 'make bootstrap', which died here:

  gcc  -prebind -framework Carbon -lstdc++ -Xlinker -headerpad -Xlinker 690 -L/usr/X11R6/libstatic -o temacs pre-crt0.o dispnew.o frame.o scroll.o xdisp.o xmenu.o window.o charset.o coding.o category.o ccl.o cm.o term.o xfaces.o xterm.o xfns.o xselect.o xrdb.o fontset.o xsmfns.o emacs.o keyboard.o macros.o keymap.o sysdep.o buffer.o filelock.o insdel.o marker.o minibuf.o fileio.o dired.o filemode.o cmds.o casetab.o casefiddle.o indent.o search.o regex.o undo.o alloc.o data.o doc.o editfns.o callint.o eval.o floatfns.o fns.o print.o lread.o abbrev.o syntax.o unexmacosx.o bytecode.o process.o callproc.o region-cache.o sound.o atimer.o doprnt.o strftime.o intervals.o textprop.o composite.o md5.o   tparam.o lastfile.o   widget.o mktime.o   ../lwlib/liblw.a -L/usr/X11R6/libstatic -lXaw -lXmu -lXt -lSM -lICE -lXext -lXpm -lX11  -lncurses
  ld: warning prebinding disabled because of undefined symbols
  ld: Undefined symbols:
  _init_mac_osx_environment
  make[1]: *** [temacs] Error 1
  make: *** [bootstrap-src] Error 2

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |

* Re: Emacs with X11 on Mac OS X
@ 2002-08-27  0:29     ` Andrew Choi
From: Andrew Choi @ 2002-08-27  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> I followed the instructions on making the statically-linked X11
> libraries, and configured Emacs like this:
>
>   $ mkdir /usr/local/packages/emacs-21-2002-08-29
>   $ ./configure --without-carbon --with-x --x-libraries=/usr/X11R6/libstatic --prefix=/usr/local/packages/emacs-21-2002-08-26
>
> I then ran 'make bootstrap', which died here:
>
> [...]
>
>   ld: Undefined symbols:
>   _init_mac_osx_environment
>   make[1]: *** [temacs] Error 1
>   make: *** [bootstrap-src] Error 2

Sorry I missed the following change yesterday.  In src/emacs.c (main)
change:

#ifdef MAC_OSX
  if (initialized)
    init_mac_osx_environment ();
#endif

#ifdef HAVE_CARBON
  if (initialized)
    init_mac_osx_environment ();
#endif

I'll check this in as soon as I can.

* Re: Emacs with X11 on Mac OS X
@ 2002-08-27  1:05       ` Andrew Choi
From: Andrew Choi @ 2002-08-27  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

I also made the mistake of changing the test for `#ifdef MAC_OSX' on
line 797 of emacs.c to `#ifdef HAVE_CARBON'.  This should be changed
back.

Now everything should be fixed in the CVS repository.  Sorry about the
confusion.

* Re: Emacs with X11 on Mac OS X
@ 2002-08-28 23:50       ` Thomas F. Burdick
From: Thomas F. Burdick @ 2002-08-28 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: tfb, emacs-devel

Andrew Choi writes:

 > Sorry I missed the following change yesterday.  In src/emacs.c (main)
 > change:

Wonderful, thank you.  With this change, it builds and seems to work
fine.

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |

* Re: Emacs with X11 on Mac OS X
@ 2002-09-06 19:23       ` Thomas F. Burdick
From: Thomas F. Burdick @ 2002-09-06 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: tfb, emacs-devel

I just got back from vacation, made the last change you suggested, and
Emacs built fine.  Thanks.  It seems to work fine, but I have noticed
one buglet: when I launch emacs like this:

  $ emacs some-file &

It shows me the splash screen instead of the file I'm editing.  If I
type anything, I see the correct buffer, but it's a little disturbing.

Other than that, it's the same old Emacs I'm used to on Unix -- wonderful!

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |

* Re: Emacs with X11 on Mac OS X
@ 2002-09-06 21:48         ` Andrew Choi
From: Andrew Choi @ 2002-09-06 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> I just got back from vacation, made the last change you suggested,
> and Emacs built fine.  Thanks.  It seems to work fine, but I have
> noticed one buglet: when I launch emacs like this:
>
>   $ emacs some-file &
>
> It shows me the splash screen instead of the file I'm editing.  If I
> type anything, I see the correct buffer, but it's a little
> disturbing.
>
> Other than that, it's the same old Emacs I'm used to on Unix --
> wonderful!

This has been the default behavior for a while now.  Please look up
information on the variable inhibit-startup-message.

Also please don't send general help requests to emacs-devel.  Please
post them to the USENET newsgroup gnu.emacs.help instead.