* tramp.texi in latest CVS
@ 2002-08-14  4:26 Luc Teirlinck
From: Luc Teirlinck @ 2002-08-14  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

I tried to install the latest CVS version from savannah.
(First time I tried this.)

I did:

./configure --without-toolkit-scroll-bars

make bootstrap

Result (end of output):

cd /home/teirllm/emacs/man; makeinfo tramp.texi
tramp.texi:25: Unknown command `copying'.
tramp.texi:50: Unmatched `@end'.
makeinfo: Removing output file `../info/tramp' due to errors; use
--force to preserve.
make[1]: *** [../info/tramp] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/teirllm/emacs/man'
make: *** [info] Error 2

I am a complete CVS newbie.  Am I doing something totally stupid or is
this a real bug in tramp.texi?

ELISP> system-configuration
"i686-pc-linux-gnu"

Sincerely,

Luc.

* Re: tramp.texi in latest CVS
@ 2002-08-14  6:17 ` Lute Kamstra
From: Lute Kamstra @ 2002-08-14  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Luc Teirlinck <teirllm@dms.auburn.edu> writes:

> I tried to install the latest CVS version from savannah.
> (First time I tried this.)
>
> I did:
>
> ./configure --without-toolkit-scroll-bars
>
> make bootstrap
>
> Result (end of output):
>
> cd /home/teirllm/emacs/man; makeinfo tramp.texi
> tramp.texi:25: Unknown command `copying'.
                                  ^^^^^^^
> tramp.texi:50: Unmatched `@end'.
> makeinfo: Removing output file `../info/tramp' due to errors; use
> --force to preserve.
> make[1]: *** [../info/tramp] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/teirllm/emacs/man'
> make: *** [info] Error 2
>
> I am a complete CVS newbie.  Am I doing something totally stupid or is
> this a real bug in tramp.texi?

`@copying' is a feature that was introduced in Texinfo 4.2.  You
probably have an older version of Texinfo.

Lute.

--
Lute Kamstra  <Lute.Kamstra@cwi.nl>
CWI  department PNA4

* Re: tramp.texi in latest CVS
@ 2002-08-14 10:45 ` Robert J. Chassell
From: Robert J. Chassell @ 2002-08-14 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

   cd /home/teirllm/emacs/man; makeinfo tramp.texi
   tramp.texi:25: Unknown command `copying'.
   tramp.texi:50: Unmatched `@end'.

You need Texinfo version 4.2, which has the @copying command.  Earlier
versions of Texinfo lack the command.  The @copying command is
designed to put copyright and freedom notices in all the right places
in all the various output formats.

In the past, people who thought they were doing the right thing often
failed to provide notices for Web pages that built from Texinfo files.
Consequently, people reading Web pages lost freedom beyond fair use.

--
    Robert J. Chassell            bob@rattlesnake.com  bob@gnu.org
    Rattlesnake Enterprises       http://www.rattlesnake.com

* tramp.texi in latest CVS
@ 2002-08-14 23:14 Luc Teirlinck
From: Luc Teirlinck @ 2002-08-14 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Paul Wallington wrote:

   The @copying command works in GNU texinfo 4.2's makeinfo, but not
   earlier versions.

Thanks to everybody who pointed this out to me.  I upgraded to 4.2 and
everything worked fine.

Sincerely,

Luc.